IGNORED

Facelifts of Classic Games - Genius

squ1ffy

This thead is really a two fold (rambling) thing:

Firstly, PC facelifts of games is bloody brilliant. 2 main example - jdoom and system shock 2 rebirth.

Jdoom is amazing - gives a full refresh of doom tech: high res, particles, halos on lights, full mouse look, glowing textures etc. You can download model packs that replaces everything (enemies, weapons, pickups, objects, decorations) with 3d models (some are brilliant), texture packs, detail textures, new skies, and a UI thing that changes the front end to high res fonts etc. It really brings the game up to date.

System Shock 2 rebirth is similarly brilliant, replacing the biggest problem in the game (v.ugly models) with high detail lovliness that really helps the atmosphere.

Secondly, the original doom is superb. I have always loved this game, and give it a new whirl on jdoom. Well, I am totally hooked. I played Doom 2 straight through on ultra-violence all last week - what a superb game. I'm now on Doom 1. I can literally play it all night.

It isn't just a nostalgia thing. With the new facelift, you can ignore the graphics (no more dated look) and just enjoy the gameplay. With full mouselook WSAD controls! Brilliant.

It is such a superbly balanced game. Damn hard in places, scary in places - but always so bloody satifying and FUN.

Serious Sam and Painkiller are seen as the spiritual successors of doom (and I loved them both) but IMHO Doom still is better than them both. The tight corridors of doom are great, much better use of the dark (when the lights turn off and a wall opens to a mass of Imps - brilliant) and some creatures that genuinely make you think 'oh shit' like the Barons, the flamey thing and of course the cyber demon.

So - go and download Jdoom and all the other stuff and please give it a whirl. Jdoom It works with shareware doom 1, or you can by doom 1, 2 & final doom for a tenner (which I did). Well worth it.

I'm so pleased that guys put the effort into facelifting classics.

GLQuake is also worth checking out, allowing support of OpenGL and MUCH higher resolutions (what we would now class as normal resolutions).

I also used to have a link to a similar site that was providing OpenGL support for Duke Nukem 3D, but can't find it anymore ;)

Great excuses to get old classics out again though.

I'd love to see jDoom ported to Xbox.

DoomX is still suprisingly fun, but it's pretty much a straight port and thus looks well, over 10 years old.

Edit: Hope I still have the Mac version of Ultimate Doom in my wardrobe. That should have the right wad(s) in there, right?

Got Final Doom for PS1 a few weeks back. Dodgy frame-rate aside it's still the Doom I know and love! (plus I used to play Doom on a 386sx, so I've seen worse). Now I just need the first one (did Doom 2 ever make it to PS1? I don't remember ever seeing it).

It's amazing how visceral it still seems, even with the carboard cut out enemies.

Got Final Doom for PS1 a few weeks back. Dodgy frame-rate aside it's still the Doom I know and love! (plus I used to play Doom on a 386sx, so I've seen worse). Now I just need the first one (did Doom 2 ever make it to PS1? I don't remember ever seeing it).

It's amazing how visceral it still seems, even with the carboard cut out enemies.

I think Doom 2's levels were included with the PS1 version of Doom... ;)

PS Doom was doom 1 and 2.

and the disco level.

Hmm, but they don't all have the new models, detail textures etc - it can actually look much better than that.

I love the new imp fireball.

I'll see if I can get some shots up when I get home (though don't hold your breath as I've probably forgotten my webspace details)!

I finnished playing through jDoom just the other week. It was fantastic. Having mouse support is a real bonus, as I found it quite hard to go back to using just the keyboard.

Well worth downloading if you're a fan of the classic, and fancy a replay.