SSX3

Uncle Mike

So, I was playing SSX3 last night. It's a game I really like.

But, there's several ridiculous things wrong with it.

1. Saving of records is separate to saving of progress, and must be done manually, and at the end of the race. What a stupid, stupid design choice. Every time I get a good time, I have to remember to save the records, or it's lost. Wankers.

2. If I want to race a mate, and I want to use my upgraded character, he has to then reload my game again in order to be able to use an upgraded character to compete with. Wankers.

3. The music fading-in-and-out when you jump stuff is just broken. Wankers.

4. Loads of completely stupid, pointless characters that you have to upgrade separately, meaning you are pretty much obliged to redo the game a second time if you want a reasonable two-player match. Wankers.

So, I was playing SSX3 last night. It's a game I really like.

But, there's several ridiculous things wrong with it.

1. Saving of records is separate to saving of progress, and must be done manually, and at the end of the race. What a stupid, stupid design choice. Every time I get a good time, I have to remember to save the records, or it's lost. Wankers.

2. If I want to race a mate, and I want to use my upgraded character, he has to then reload my game again in order to be able to use an upgraded character to compete with. Wankers.

4. Loads of completely stupid, pointless characters that you have to upgrade separately, meaning you are pretty much obliged to redo the game a second time if you want a reasonable two-player match. Wankers.

Agree with everything you said, good little game, but with some really annoying features.

I'd also add that you lose the illussion of being on a mountain eveytime you devate a few metres off the set routes to be greeted with an "out of bounds". I'd rather they just block off those areas that we can't enter.

The saving system is awful, bloody hell in the original SSX it saved the records automatically.

I've never figured out how to get to the Lodge without quiting the game and starting again. Although it may be I've never figured out how to locate it after completing a race.

I'd also add that you lose the illussion of being on a mountain eveytime you devate a few metres off the set routes to be greeted with an "out of bounds". I'd rather they just block off those areas that we can't enter.

The saving system is awful, bloody hell in the original SSX it saved the records automatically.

I've never figured out how to get to the Lodge without quiting the game and starting again. Although it may be I've never figured out how to locate it after completing a race.

Agree, agree, agree, especially the out of bounds bit...so frustrating!

1080 Avalanche is by far the better game in my opinion (on the Cube anyway).

1080 Avalanche is by far the better game in my opinion (on the Cube anyway).

It's a better racer, much more compact and thrilling. At times SSX3 feels rather bloated and the entire mountain challenges are far too easy making then as dull as hell.

The gate challenge is brilliant in 1080 too, but I prefer the tricks section of SSX3 to Avalanche.

It's a better racer, much more compact and thrilling. At times SSX3 feels rather bloated and the entire mountain challenges are far too easy making then as dull as hell.

The gate challenge is brilliant in 1080 too, but I prefer the tricks section of SSX3 to Avalanche.

Agreed. I didn't like the slant towards tricking in SSX3 or the over egged system itself.

The courses just didn't seem to be as well designed and individual as in Tricky either although the peak to peak runs where great.

For me - 1080 Avalanche > SSX Tricky > SSX3.

They're all good though and better than Amped (mind you, I still haven't tred Amped 2 yet).

Eh? I think the fading is a great touch and gives a sense of speed and height.

I'm a bit of a SSX fanboy anyways. SSX3 probably sneaks into my top ten.

never really played a snow boarding game before ssx, and to be honest quite like it.

i am put off by all the tricking which i just can't seem to do. it's there a way of racking up loads of points, without needing a third hand? controls seem way complex for a ssx virgin..

Eh? I think the fading is a great touch and gives a sense of speed and height.

Ah. I think you maybe misunderstand me. I love it in SSX and Tricky. It doesn't seem to work on SSX3. Sometimes it fades, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you seem to lose entire sections of the track.

is amped 2 better than this?

Yes...By miles in my opinion.

I played SSX3 for a while and then stopped, Amped 2 (and Amped 1) I played all the way through to a Number 1 rank, and still go back to just cruise around some of the levels...

I can understand why Amped isn't for everyone though...

Quick burn him at the stake...!

BUUUUUUURN HIM!

Hey, for a game that (according to Edge anyway) is a great chillout tiltle, it's got a funny way of showing it.

Great concept, well made, great trick system and all the rest, it's just too hard too soon though.

For some reason I got the new xbox version for £5 in game last week so I am willing to forgive it a few faults

I was undecided over SSX3 and 1080 at Christmas, but the Zelda collector's disc offer swung it for 1080. I also got SSX3 for a fiver in Game the other day and I'm of the opinion that snowboard fans should definitely own both. 1080 for racing and SSX3 for tricks.

Although, from what I've played so far, trying to win a race and do a shed load of tricks seems challenging :P

I like the SSX games but I wish EA would streamline them a bit rather than bloating them out with every release. There are too many menus and options to wade through for what's essentially a simple game, the padding gets in the way of the gameplay and stops it from being a pick up and play game for me. If it was better focussed I'd get into the series more but I seem to spend more time arsing around with options and selections than actually playing the thing.

Would it be so bad if we had just the one character with a few moves that were easily remembered? Games like SSX should be looking to emulate the Crazy Taxi ethic of dive in, get a highscore and turn it off again. Who honestly cares about maxing out Elise's trick ability?

Love snowboarding games... love em' love em' love em'.

The thing that I hate about SSX3 (and it was true of Tricky and SSX as well) are those stupid stupid races - You basically have to do each race 3 times, but the last time you have to win it to complete the level. So you might have 2 great runs then get f**ked over by an AI character 'bumping' into you on the finishing stretch of the third race and -wham- 25 minutes wasted. Erm, EA, has anyone there ever wondered whether this is actually a FUN thing to force players to do?

If thats not bad enough, this fundamentally flawed system then went on to form the game structure for other EA big titles like Sled Storm, Freakstyle, etc ....

I mean, it's not like SSX3 is short of gameplay, so why force the player through hoops over and over again? By the 5th race in I was doing each race 9-15 times before I could win it. At which point it's hard not to get tempted by just ejecting the disc and ramming it in the bin with disgust. And such a simple fucking thing to fix, too. Sigh.

If it weren't for that I'd still be playing SSX3 now; but I just couldn't face it any more. Done all the stunt challenges, everything except the races, and done enough to open Peak 2. But that's all she wrote as far as I'm concerned, unless someone from EA wants to come round and do the fucking races for me, and that's pretty much the only way anyone will convince me to buy SSX4.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, ill-conceived, badly designed idiocy.

But other than that I'm quite fond of it really ;)

Amped 2 on the other hand, Aaaaaaawesome (dude). :)

I'd rank 1080 lowest out of the three just because of it's small size, I couldn't recommend it to anyone above the other two just because it takes about 2 hours to finish the main game. I never failed a single race, completed it straight through. But having said that, what's there is pretty special. If you've got SSX3 and Amped2 and feel the need for a third snowboardie game, it's certainly worth it.

• 1 year later...

I love the fading out music stuff, think it's a nice idea. Nothing wrong with it.

I was a bit upset but I couldn't get into SSX On Tour at ALL. I don't know what it was but it just didn't feel like SSX anymore. I really hope the next one will be better :(