Xbox Doom 3 Slips...

Keyboard Koala

If they've got any sense at all they'll be stripping out all the lighting effects and replacing them with something more "functional" that the X-box can actually handle, then upping the polygon count on the monsters.

Aside: Been playing Thief 3 on x-box over the weekend. Looks great, plays great, but I wouldn't want those frame rates / screen tearing for a fast moving FPS.

It's a PC in a box sure... A very old PC.

having seen riddick, there's no reason why Doom 3 wouldn't work...

... or maybe they have seen riddick... and it's back to the drawing board.

Only thing that I've experienced in Doom 3 that the xbox would have a problem with is the computer terminals... it's a great touch in game and it'd be a pest to go to static shots or zoom out 3rd person (for controlling stuff)..

How much difference is there between the two versions then? My PC, mostly my graphics card, probably aren't up to Doom 3 so I was looking forward to this.

Still, Psi-Ops and, hopefully, Rome: Total War will be out in september.

tell riddick that

I'm getting that as soon as I'm done with Thief 3 so I'll tell him then. It does look fairly fucking awesome.

Mr Spew:

Well, yeah, I was just being flippant. What I really should have said is that in a straight conversion of a recent PC game, X-box doesn't have the horsepower. And I.D. have a bad habit of doing straight ports for their console titles (Quake DC was a pretty noble effort but again, shit frame rate - they should have simplified the lighting). I don't really have a point here... Other then they should... uh... simplify the lighting effects.

And I.D. have a bad habit of doing straight ports for their console titles

id. And they don't do the ports themselves. In the DC version's case it was ported by Raster Productions, who also ported Quake 2 to the N64 and RtCW to the PS2.

id. And they don't do the ports themselves. In the DC version's case it was ported by Raster Productions, who also ported Quake 2 to the N64 and RtCW to the PS2.

Ah, hadn't realised that. So who's doing X-box Doom3?

It's like super maga mapping, but not as good.

while riddicks lighting is damn fine for the xbox, and using similar techniques they could do doom 3, it's still quite a bit away from what doom 3 does. The main trick that doom 3 pulls is characters casting shadows upon themselves... it's as close to real lighting that anyones done so far. Perhaps they tried to do this on the xbox to no avail and have to go back to more a traditional approach...

not that I actually know much.

One of the big problems is going to be how you interact with computer consoles etc on a limited resolution TV display.

Shenmue 'did' maps perfectly well. There's nothing ludicrously tiny in Doom, is there?

I'd say the main worry would be using the thumb stick to move the little cursor around the screen.

What I meant was that you can read (both interactive & noninteractive) text on the screens in D3 even when your character's standing quite far away from them, thanks to high PC resolutions, but that this text will be illegibily blurry @ TV resolutions (especially if you're gaming on a 14" portable).