Most Difficult Moment Ever

blue swIIrl

Cauldron, and Cauldron 2, on the Commodore 64. I seriously doubt anybody in the world has finished either of these games without cheating! Bloody impossible! In Cauldron you just kept dying constantly when you were only trying to move, but in Cauldron 2 you couldn't even control the thing.

I completed Cauldron 2. I could control that pumpkin quite well. (With infinite lives though.)

Cauldron 1? Even with cheats? Not a chance.

Level 7 in Super Monkey Ball, you know the one. The sheer length of the twisty path way at the end, the really annoying bump at the beginning and the randomness of the bit with holes in. That level was like a game in itself. There is almost no room for error.

Pffft- that was pish. What stumped me was that level on Advanced mode- it kind of zig-zags back and forth to the end, but the edge of each zig-zag curves downwards. It's difficult to explain, and my GC isn't connected so I can't check the number (I have SMB Jr though, and it's level 12 on that ;)).

That doesn't even come close to the difficulty of the later stages though <_<

Not so much a boss fight but getting the ultimate weapon for Tidus in FFX.

Having to do the last chocobo race with randomly placed balloons & annoying random flying birds AND then getting the time of the race to be under 0.0 seconds at the end. It wouldn't have pissed me off so much if it was at least fair.

Dirty cheating game.

The first really, really hard game I completed in every possible way was the first Zelda game, I even did the second, remixed version of it. I also finished Zelda 2.

Other games that deserve a mention must be the first "proper" CDROM game; The 7th Guest. That was rock hard but I was so in love with the graphics of the game that I played on only to see what more the game had on offer.

Oh, and Alundra on the PSone, that was rock hard from start right through to the end.

You sissies quit yer cryin on (XBox) Ninja Gaiden. I remember when I was wee, I had the Nintendo Power Guide to Ninja Gaiden 2 and I sweat my way through the whole game, throwing controlers here and there, and in the later levels I tell you boy I ripped a lot of pages out of that NP Guide and tore them right the fuck up.

Now here is a proper thing to be saying in this thread: "Getting through level __ in Zanac". Start with level 1, aye.

Difficulty is different from bad controls and frustrating trial-and-error, so I can't say Fear Effect, can I?

One of the only times I ever found myself strategically challenged in an RPG was against the optional underwater and desert Weapons in FF7. I really had to work out a party/materia system that would keep me alive through those 9999 attacks, you know? It was a very rare kind of workout in that sort of game.

I too have not beaten the last stage of Advance Wars.

Man, I remember Zelda 2 being hard. Was I wrong?

1) Getting Lords of midnight to load - it would take about 40 retries, by which time it would be 2am, and my brother would be asleep so couldn't play it with me.

2) Landing on moving targets on pilotwings.

What stumped me was that level on Advanced mode- it kind of zig-zags back and forth to the end, but the edge of each zig-zag curves downwards.

Level 14, I think. Hardly level 7 on expert mode though. ;)

Viewtiful Joe is also bloody hard. The fight against the fake Joe took me about 30 attempts. <_<

I spent a while getting all the Challenge medals in Perfect Dark's multiplayer as well. I wanted to get all the medals for one, two, three and four players, but because my friends weren't good enough to do them I just plugged in four controllers and then hid the other three players in the first couple of minutes before using my player to beat the challenge. That was very difficult, I can tell you.

I thought it was just me that did that.

Level 14, I think. Hardly level 7 on expert mode though. <_<

Expert 7's probably the hardest level in the game in terms of the level of skill that you'll have aquired by the time you're confronted by it compared to the level of skill that you'll need to beat it consistently. Don't get me wrong some of the levels later on in the game are obscenely difficult but by the time you reach them you're a hardened veteran. Plus you only need to beat each of the master levels once!

The Sanbone Trio on Master Mode Gitaroo Man (and Mojo King Bee, for that matter... although I did beat him after about 50 tries).

Halo on Legendary. I swear the bit that I'm currently on is physically impossible due to the lack of ammo and grenades I have. And it's only the second level!!! I should restart it, I think.

The final level on Driver, the president's run. I did it in the end, through some absolutely flawless driving and a whole lot of luck. I finished up at the car park entrance by flying through the air and landing outside it!

Emerald/Ruby Weapon from FFVII. Trying and retrying different techniques then crossing my fingers saw me through eventually. That was thrilling.

Advance Wars final level against Sturm. I lost sleep for about 3 days until I beat him. Never again!!

The last boss in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. I needed to be more leveled up, I reckon, because this was exceptionally hard and far too long.

navy_moves_02.gif

Tell me that doesn't make you weep

TELL ME :(

Ouch. Navy moves. I remember the demo put me off the full game. I got past that bit a couple of times though.

The last boss of Vagrant Story is a right slag.

You use up almost all of your items, only for him to cast Blood Sin. Hits for stupid amounts of damage and unless you have Ninja like reflexes timing the Defense Art is bloody well hard.

Oh and Unfuckinglimited Indafuckinglecio from Star Ocean 2. I hate him, with all my heart.

Ooh and Bloodbane from Valhyrie Profile. Has stupid HP and you have to kill him in 10 moves. I wanted to chuck me telly through the window.

I think Viewtiful Joe's the most difficult game I've ever played, but I managed to complete it. The Bangai-O final boss was pretty difficult too, but I beat that.

But I still haven't managed to get past the whaley bit in Gitaroo Man, or further than about the first boss in X-Men on the Megadrive. In fact, that game's so difficult I couldn't even get any of the cheats that I found on the internet to work.

Actraiser!

Japanese version, last level. Now that was hard.

Anyone who has completed it with the PAL or US versions need to go back and try again as it is sooo much harder.

I had the Japanese version on import before the other two versions. Completed it just before my mates got hold of the PAL version. Amazed them by completing their copy with my eyes closed and with one hand*

*Not litterally.

Cheers...

EDIT: Spelling.

had a game on the master system called Ghost castle .....it was on one of those old card things....anyway you could get past the first level and kill Draucla.....then you got to the second and fought dracula again only this time once you killed him he came back to life again ...and again ...and again. Cheating bastard game. Strangley those cards were very easy to snap

navy_moves_02.gif

Tell me that doesn't make you weep

TELL ME ;)

That was indeed crazy hard. Like Disciple, I played the demo, and that was enough.

I remember reading a review of it in Sinclair User, with the reviewer saying, "IT'S TOO HARD. I DON'T LIKE IT."