Most Difficult Moment Ever

blue swIIrl

People thought the water temple was hard? I did it first time, no trouble took me about two hours to do the whole temple. How odd...I thought it was one of the easier temples. :)

Yeah, it's really only one bit which I think tripped everyone up. This is entirely from memory, and possibly totally wrong but IIRC:

There was a part where you had to raise the water level, which left you with - apparently - no way to get out of it. What appeared to be a now-submerged room, however, actually had a hole in the ceiling. so you could walk in with your iron boots on, take them off insidea, and float up through the hole to an area you could climb out of the water.

If you noticed the hole before you raised the level, the rest of that dungeon was a doddle. If you didn't, the camera sort of conspired to keep it hidden when you walked under it.

Something like that, anyway.

Sunset Riders.

Red Indian boss: "Me big pow-wow!"

Hardest. motherfucker. ever.

Without the emulator's save function, it would never be conquered.

That, or the "Hard" puzzle difficulty on Silent Hill 3. You have to be Einstein and Chaucer rolled into one just to get past the first bloody challenge.

Nah, Facility cheat was the hardest - or at least, took the longest, purely due to the arbitrariness of Dr Doak's location. The Perfect Dark cheats were indeed harder, as I never managed to do them. Managed to do ALL the fucking challenges though.

It's not much of a 'moment' - more of a marathon - but winning on Deity level in Civ3, by conquest, iron man syle (no reloads) AND not being the Persians was really hard.

Just completing Frequency felt amazing.

Most difficult moments I've never managed, either due to being too crap or utter frustration:

Very end of Metroid Prime

Very end of Jet Force Gemini

Very end of Driver

The "Trees are coming to you and Mountains keep coming out of the water" levels in Cobra Triangle. Damnit. The hardest level(s)/thing i ever played/seen. But i finally completed the game 6 months ago. It only took me 10 years or so.

Some of the missions on Carmageddon II (20 perfect jumps in 1:30, or diving through the top of an air traffic control tower but starting from the ground)

Some of the missions on Soul Calibur (you are poisoned and in quicksand and there are rats that bite your feet and your enemy hits 10x harder than you)

i got the last boss in jet force stuck in an animation loop and killing him was a doddle.

Did anyone ever finish perfect dard on hardest setting?

I did (not sure if I managed the final bonus level though, remember spending weeks trying to do that), and I even did all the challenges, which took me aaages and so much frustration. What I couldn't do was unlock all of the cheats. I'm amazed that ANYONE can do a few of them - I know some people have already posted to say they've got all the cheats. The time you have to complete the levels doesn't even seem physically possible, even by running as fast as you can and ignoring the enemies a few of them you just can't do. There must be crazy shortcuts or something.

As for Jet Force Gemini, I actually had to restart the whole fucking game because the character I had only had about 10 rockets and minimal ammo for each weapon, apart from the useless ones. That REALLY pissed me off. One of the worst design flaws ever - in a game where you can choose your character for 90% of the rest of it, suddenly at the very end you can only use one, to kill a very hard boss. So in the end I had to go through the game twice, even the second time I had a lot of trouble with that insect bastard!

Most annoying thing on Perfect Dark (that I can remember) was the last grenade challenge on the firing range. Did it in the end though :unsure:

Pretty sure I finished it on Perfect Agent, it really was a quality game. I liked how you could do thing on the Chicago level which affected the next one and stuff like that.

Sunset Riders.

Red Indian boss: "Me big pow-wow!"

Hardest. motherfucker. ever.

Without the emulator's save function, it would never be conquered.

I fully agree, i remember the only way i got passed that bit was in two player.

Jumping or dodging them daggers he threw was so next to impossible

Altho Paco Loco is the greatest Boss of all time, he has the biggest gaming Lips ever.

And looks so cool with a sub machine gun.

Another game i found impossible was Alex kid in miracle world, i could get all the way through the game with no problems. till i got to the underwater maze with spikes, Alex kids swimming controls made this bit next to impossible cause he would allways float upwards meaning you would have to counteract all the time and when the maze made of spikes was the size of alex kid, well you can imagin.

Fighting the Arsenal Tengu in MGS:SoL on euro-extreme without using a continue. Snake is beyond useless- dies all over the place.

That or the Solidus squeeze; sheer torture. If I couldn't do it in the first couple of attempts I was too wrecked to try for another half hour.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the ghost fish towards the end of Ninja Gaiden drove me insane. I found most of the game hard but at least it was fair.

the ghost fish were totally easy as long as you had some ninpo (which they kept you fully stocked on) and the nunchukas.

Did anyone ever finish perfect dard on hardest setting?

Yeah, on my own and on Co-Operative with my brother.

I still have my old times on record:

RECORDS >> Mission Time Records

Mission 1: dataDyne Central - Defection

(Agent) = 1:12

(Special Agent) = 1:30

(Perfect Agent) = 10:59

Mission 2: dataDyne Central - Investigation

(Agent) = 10:19

(Special Agent) = 16:03

(Perfect Agent) = 6:26

Mission 3: dataDyne Central - Extraction

(Agent) = 1:48

(Special Agent) = 11:46

(Perfect Agent) = 11:39

Mission 4: Carrington Villa - Hostage One

(Agent) = 8:16

(Special Agent) = 2:24

(Perfect Agent) = 13:50

Mission 5: Chicago - Stealth

(Agent) = 6:39

(Special Agent) = 5:55

(Perfect Agent) = 1:51

Mission 6: G5 Building - Reconnaissance

(Agent) = 1:40

(Special Agent) = 7:08

(Perfect Agent) = 6:56

Mission 7: Area 51 - Infiltration

(Agent) = 12:11

(Special Agent) = 4:39

(Perfect Agent) = 17:04

Mission 8: Area 51 - Rescue

(Agent) = 3:33

(Special Agent) = 13:25

(Perfect Agent) = 7:54

Mission 9: Area 51 - Escape

(Agent) = 3:37

(Special Agent) = 7:24

(Perfect Agent) = 8:33

Mission 10: Air Base - Espionage

(Agent) = 7:37

(Special Agent) = 3:10

(Perfect Agent) = 6:47

Mission 11: Air Base - Antiterrorism

(Agent) = 7:31

(Special Agent) = 5:16

(Perfect Agent) = 3:20

Mission 12: Crash Site - Confrontation

(Agent) = 2:50

(Special Agent) = 11:13

(Perfect Agent) = 8:40

Mission 13: Pelagic II - Exploration

(Agent) = 10:36

(Special Agent) = 7:07

(Perfect Agent) = 16:11

Mission 14: Deep Sea - Nullify Threat

(Agent) = 18:28

(Special Agent) = 10:42

(Perfect Agent) = 6:34

Mission 15: Carrington Institute - Defense

(Agent) = 1:39

(Special Agent) = 3:48

(Perfect Agent) = 5:07

Mission 16: Attack Ship - Covert Assault

(Agent) = 10:23

(Special Agent) = 4:56

(Perfect Agent) = 7:58

Mission 17: Skedar Ruins - Battle Shrine

(Agent) = 4:53

(Special Agent) = 15:49

(Perfect Agent) = 4:46

Mission 18: Mr Blonde's Revenge

(Agent) = 2:47

(Special Agent) = 3:12

(Perfect Agent) = 4:59

Mission 19: Maian SOS

(Agent) = 9:50

(Special Agent) = 10:10

(Perfect Agent) = 12:38

Mission 20: WAR!

(Agent) = 1:12

(Special Agent) = 1:50

(Perfect Agent) = 2:27

Mission 21: The Duel

(Agent) = 0:04

(Special Agent) = 0:09

(Perfect Agent) = 0:17

You can see where I've done the cheats and got a better time on Perfect Agent than on just Agent. : )

I have my old Goldeneye times as well, if anyones interested.

When I was still at school and doing the GCSE thing, me and my friends had a competition to see who could do Dam, Agent, in the fastest time. We got it down to 1:01 before we conceded that we could not get any faster.

I just remembered; Serious Sam: Next Encounter. Loved it all the way through on Easy, but it was so simple as to beg beleif. Normal is so much harder, but nothing I couldn't handle. Until the first boss that can kill you at any point that it wants to. Fucking laser attack, 3 shot kill and you cannot for the love of God avoid it. I was screaming at the screen "JUST FUCKING DIE", to my eternal shame. I beat it through sheer luck.

When I was still at school and doing the GCSE thing, me and my friends had a competition to see who could do Dam, Agent, in the fastest time. We got it down to 1:01 before we conceded that we could not get any faster.

I got 1:00

: )

I'm pretty sure the World Record was 58 seconds, though.

so, mr david heath, are there any games you arent incredible at?

I can't bash the buttons fast enough in 'Athens 2004' to win any of the stupid sprinting or weightlifting events.

Seriously though, I'm the sort of person to spend hours attempting to master one single game than try to complete four at a time. I have a very optimistic view on what it's possible I can do.

You want to go into the Frequency thread in the High Score folder though. People in there put my (admittedly pretty good) scores to absolute shame. Ah well...

• 1 year later...

I swear a hell of a lot of it is down to fear. The first time I played Bangai-O I didn't know anything about it - blazed through it in a couple of days, final boss done on my second go, "piece of piss" says I. After a year or two of people saying how hard it was I went back to it and could barely get a few levels in.. I'm sure I didn't get worse at games in that time.

Similarly, I can hardly ever get past the first level of R-Type after it continually battered me as a child. I'm sure if I'd first played it recently it wouldn't seem half as bad.

the ghost fish were totally easy as long as you had some ninpo (which they kept you fully stocked on) and the nunchukas.

Ah, the joyous ghost fish. The point where I stopped playing Ninja Gaiden and said enough's enough. I saved before the maze even started and played for about 45 mins through those annoying little fuckers before finally being killed by a boss fight I was thrown into without warning. Now I can't bring myself to brave that bloody maze again. It's like game design by satan.

Level Designer: "Oh shit I've ran out of ideas! I know, lets make a maze with no save points in it, hahahahahahaha that'll annoy them!"

Lead Designer: "NO! Are you crazy?! That's NOT ANNOYING ENOUGH! Hmmm.... I like the maze idea though.... *pause* I'VE GOT IT! We'll fill the maze with really annoying ghost fish which attack you constantly, and respawn! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

Twats.

Ghosts and Goblins. Impossible. I dont know how Todd from Neighbours managed to complete it. Actually I think Paul Robison kept giving him money.

Green Beret.

Countless games on the C64. It is amazing what we used to put up with. So many games were incredibly cruel and today would just be given up on.

I still havent managed to do the last baddy on Metroid Prime and dont expect to ever go back to it. Too frustrating.

Cauldron, and Cauldron 2, on the Commodore 64.  I seriously doubt anybody in the world has finished either of these games without cheating!  Bloody impossible!  In Cauldron you just kept dying constantly when you were only trying to move, but in Cauldron 2 you couldn't even control the thing.

Finished the first one - the flying bits were o.k as I recall, but the platforming.... You played a bouncy pumpkin in the second one, no ?

Remember getting Green Beret on the Amstrad ( for which I'd foolishly sold my C64 - to play Doomsday Blues and Get Dexter). " Brilliant", I thought. That was until I got to the end of the first screen and realised why hardware scrolling was such a great feature of the N64. Gutted.

Ah, the joyous ghost fish. The point where I stopped playing Ninja Gaiden and said enough's enough. I saved before the maze even started and played for about 45 mins through those annoying little fuckers before finally being killed by a boss fight I was thrown into without warning. Now I can't bring myself to brave that bloody maze again. It's like game design by satan.

Level Designer: "Oh shit I've ran out of ideas! I know, lets make a maze with no save points in it, hahahahahahaha that'll annoy them!"

Lead Designer: "NO! Are you crazy?! That's NOT ANNOYING ENOUGH! Hmmm.... I like the maze idea though.... *pause* I'VE GOT IT! We'll fill the maze with really annoying ghost fish which attack you constantly, and respawn! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

Twats.

The ghost fish are by far the easiest enemies in the Ninja Giden. Just keep jumping forward and pressing x to a mid air attack. Just don't stop jumping and you won't get hit at all.

I thought the level 2 boss (the guy on the demonic horse) was the most frustrating enemy in the game.

Some of the missions on Soul Calibur (you are poisoned and in quicksand and there are rats that bite your feet and your enemy hits 10x harder than you)

:huh:

For me, its Alien Soldier on the Megadrive. The controls are just silly.

Oh and level 4 of Mushmeshema where you just look at the bullets and laugh like a spaz because thats all you can do.