Most Difficult Moment Ever

blue swIIrl

There's a few for me.

A couple of the boss fights in FFX were extremely hard. That sorcerer guy that transformed into a massive monster (the one in the area around Kamari's home) was bloody difficult, and Sin itself, the final boss, took two weeks of trying til I finally cracked it.

Didn't help for either that I'd done the bare minimum of monster killing, so I'd not levelled up much, and I'd made a bit of a mess of the sphere grid, giving my characters abilities some of them really shouldn't have had. That makes completing FFX one of the biggest gaming challenges I've ever faced.

Goldeneye had a couple of madly difficult unlockable time cheats. The Facility one (complete in 1 or 2 minutes, something like that??) was pretty infuriating, and I seem to remember the one on Archive being pretty hard too.

Virtua Tennis 2's career mode is pretty hard too. Getting not one but two characters (male and female) to a high enough standard to win the final doubles match is just a downright grueling experience. I remember giving up, leaving the game for ages, and eventually managing it when playing the game on impulse about 18months later.

Oh yeah, that's another one. I always considered it a good go when you get past the second level. That swimming level. With the bombs. But there's actually a bit later on which would have me swearing like I never have at a game since. It involves quite literally a pixel-perfect jump. The designers of that game were cruel.

Was that quite late into the game? I remember there is a bit like a construction yard, which you drive to in your turtle van, and then enter a building. There is this jump that is pretty much impossible to jump! several times i kept replaying and died there. It takes ages to get to that part of the level too.

I remember a vidid memory when i was about 7/8 and playing that, dieing and then going to a xmas party with santa clause there!

Was that quite late into the game? I remember there is a bit like a construction yard, which you drive to in your turtle van, and then enter a building. There is this jump that is  pretty much impossible to jump! several times i kept replaying and died there. It takes ages to get to that part of the level too.

Yeah, that sounds like the one. It's definitely towards the end of quite a long area late on in the game (level before last??). The one I'm on about requires total commitment to the jump to even stand a chance of making it. Failure = instant death. It looks impossible and after dying a few times, you're sure it is, but it's the only way forward. Classic design.

But seriously Turtles would have been like 1000 times better if they just left that bit out. And I love it anyway...

Actually it was quite hard although, in my defence, I haven't played it for a year and a half and I'm well pissed up on booze. Did it though.

I was watching my replays and I found my advanced level 7 one that I copied off the amazing SMB vids that were going around a while ago. It's the blue track that snakes back on itself in a figure of eight kind of way and you have to hit the kerbs to go flying across the level. That bastard must have taken me about 70 goes to do.

The original Project IGI on the pc.

One of the latter levels has you protecting this Ruskie (Pirboi), who is gung ho in the extreme. He hides in a house and decides to run out when an APC full of enemy soldiers parks outside, they shoot him.

I've never been able to get past that level, and it tears me up inside.

I remember beating this level, but it was a long time ago. I think his exit from the house is triggered by you being close to him once he gets inside. Let him get into the house and circle around it from the outside, being careful not to get too close. The APC will discharge the goons, who will wait around doing nothing until you start shooting them. Priboi will stay where he is until you go and get him. The next part of that mission is harder still though, and requires a lot of practice i.e restarting from the beginning every time...

F-Zero GX. I love you so, but you can be a right unforgiving cunt sometimes.

I almost did Story Mission 9 on Very Hard, about 20 times. I keep spazzing out. I've got it down now though. I know how to do it. And I will be doing it tomorrow morning. I had to stop now as my hands have turned into claws.

I almost did Story Mission 9 on Very Hard, about 20 times. I keep spazzing out. I've got it down now though. I know how to do it. And I will be doing it tomorrow morning. I had to stop now as my hands have turned into claws.

I've done it. I rule.

I reckon the hardest one was the mission where you can't slow down and you have to get around that winding bastard track.

Worst part about F-Zero GX. The game was already jam-packed with goodness, and it didn't need all that story mode jazz, especially not when that was the only way to unlock stuff.

It IS possible, though I wouldn't dream of ever attempting it again. I've lost the "completist" mentality now.

I don't have much patience with games so if something's too hard I put it down to bad game design and just don't bother doing it. But of the hard things which I actually managed to do, the most memorable would have to be getting Invisibility or whatever it was on Facility in Goldeneye. There was the annoyance of pure luck; the room Dr Doak would be in and the positioning of the guards. You needed it to fall into place and at the same time work out how to do little bits quicker, like throwing a mine to the bottom of the stairs and wildly strafing from side to side down corridors to avoid fire. The relief when I'd done that was incredible, it was a million times harder than anything else in that game. But it is the most perfectly judged difficultly curve of any other game I've played. One of the only games I bothered doing absolutely everything in.

Naglfars fucking pit

If that level hadn't sported some absolutely lovely eye candy and some atmpospheric background tunes then Nagflars Pit would of caused me to shelve that game.

It was like the big test of the first part of the game. If the thumbstick buttons weren't second nature when you started that level they sure were by the end :blink:

Final Fantasy VII - the Weapon in the sand - if you lose Cloud you are in for the fight of your life - Hairy Jesus spent days on end trying to defeat this evil boss. The underwater Weapon was simple and Sephiroth was a walk in the park with Knights of The Round on mimic... but that sand Weapon was a bitch. :blink:

Some of the Hard levels on the original Timesplitters were ridiculously difficult. I think the developers even admitted that they hadn't had time to playtest them and had just ramped up the difficulty level without checking that it was actually possible to complete the levels. I did a couple, but some of those unlockables will remain forever out of my reach.

And the worst ever, Mizar on Jet Force Gemini. Stupidly difficult - sure the designers were taking the piss with him.

I never got why people found Mizar so hard, he was tricky but didn't seem any harder than the rest of the game, to be honest. Those two giant grasshopper kinda things were probably harder, for me at least.

The hardest thing I can remember in games is, well, Ninja Gaiden and DMC3. But I shouldn't post them, because they are both games which I have barely even started, due to that difficulty of getting into them.

Oh and yeah, Meta Ridley (is that right?) at the end of Metroid Prime, that gave me a lot of trouble, mainly because I don't think I'd used dodge properly to that point.

OH and GT4 :lol: It's tricky, and it's also hassle to get my wheel out because my floor is covered in junk, so there's a whole challenge before even playing, y'know?

President's run, Driver.

No cheats necessary.

Just an infinite supply of controllers/punchbags.

Took a week to crack. Worst thing was on day 2, I lost my last bit of energy literally on the finish point, getting shunted over the line. Took another three days to get that close again.

Once I did it once, I could do it again more often than not.

I did that eventually - if I remember rightly, it started to piss down as well while you were trying to not get twatted by the chasing cars. I just remembered another one too - the Supply Lines mission in GTA San Andreas on the PS2. I still can't do that mission - the closest I've been to completing it is all couriers dead but little or no fuel to get back in time. I have heard it's been made easier on the Xbox version though. Gaha.

Also Ninja Gaiden served me good and proper and shamed me as a gamer. I broke down crying when I got to the samurai on the horse boss. Not good.

Just remembered another - the Macaras King difficulty on Samba. Having to move the maracas so fast that the hardware couldn't register your movements. I'm sure I dislocated a shoulder doing that.

Just remembered another - the Macaras King difficulty on Samba. Having to move the maracas so fast that the hardware couldn't register your movements. I'm sure I dislocated a shoulder doing that.

Yeah, thats rock and its made harder by the fact you've got these massive wires that you're trying not to tangle and some very expensive maracas you're trying not to break.

Ive got to the very very last song in Samba but its just too hard. I remember I actually cheated on a few of the ones in that section and used the pad :(

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes...

Prior to entering the 'arena' to fight the Emporer Ing, for whatever reason I just couldn't perform a successful Wall Jump to make it up to the battle. I must've tried a thousand times with no success and mucho frutration so much so that I didn't play it for a couple of days in disgust.

When I finally caved and went back to it, every time I tried the Wall Jump it was a successful one. Go figure. :(

I also found Drivers final level one of the hardest ever levels in a game. It took me weeks to do, having a go every few days. Eventually I did it on the night I found out my girlfriend was cheating on me, for some reason it gave me a grim determination to never give up and I eventually did it, no idea how. Absolute shite it was, so bloody random. In the end I figured out that if you drove on pavements the cops didn't go for you as much and that made it a lot easier.

THIRD GO! \o/

I'm so happy :(

edit: FUCKING YES! Just did Story Mission 1 on VH too ;)

Only one left now B)

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes...

Prior to entering the 'arena' to fight the Emporer Ing, for whatever reason I just couldn't perform a successful Wall Jump to make it up to the battle. I must've tried a thousand times with no success and mucho frutration so much so that I didn't play it for a couple of days in disgust.

When I finally caved and went back to it, every time I tried the Wall Jump it was a successful one. Go figure.  :(

Stuff like that always happens. something seems undoable, leave it for at least a day, go back and do it first or second time.

The first commandos game I found impossible to do, the first mission involved getting onto an island unseen. I couldnt even make it out of the the fucking boat to start the mission. Wonder whether the game was any good.