IGNORED

Are You A Dabbler, A Completer Or A Completist?

squirtle

I NEVER finish games. Mainly cos I'm crap. I don't have lots of games on the go, usually one at a time.

I thought I might finish Ratchet & Clank until I got to the racing bit which I found frustrating and just killed my enjoyment.

I'm currently on Tales of Symphonia which I *might* finish. I'm still on the first disk though - the game is loooong.

Do you find you being crap at games affects how you design them?

Depends on the Game. For Example, Transformers was 100% complete. Metroid Prime I WILL finish having scanned everything (if I can just find time), and Jak and Daxter I finished with 100%. However, stuff like Gran Turismo is just too big and will only ever be dabbled in. And for example Ridge Racer V, which when you've nearly completed it offers you the 99 lap trial, which would require 1H 40M of solid unflinching gameplay. Am I going to complete that? Am I bollocks.

To sum up then, I like to complete games, until the extra challanges become just too silly, not fun and therefore not worth it.

Definitely a mixture of the first two. I can almost never bring myself to play though a game more than once, or get absolutely everything.

I don't care if you get to see Samus' nipple when you 100% Metroid Prime, it's not gonna convince me to play it through again.

I had always thought that I was always a completer. But then, that was me being idealistic.

I was a dabbler, pure and simple. Aside from games which were so good they just demanded my attention from start to finish (ISS Pro, Metal Gear Solid, etc.), I would play a game for a lengthy time before moving on. I rarely finished games, instead I would play until the next big thing came along. Which usually wasn't too long a wait.

Championship Manager sucked away at the rest of the time.

Recently I've given up CM (thanks SI ), and decided to get those games finished. Now I'm a completer. I see no joy in being a completist - finishing it for the sake of it. All the games I have I've thoroughly enjoyed whupping.

Somewhere between dabbler and completer, for me. I like to try to complete games when I can, but if it's too long/too hard/somethign new comes along, I'll leave it on top of the pile and move on. Once moved on, I'll rarely go back again (see: Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill 3, Knights of the Old Republic, Splinter Cell 2, etc.).

Back in the day, I used to be a completist. But then, I had to be, 'cos I had no money! Those were happier times, thinking about it... who said money buys you happiness? :(

So here's the thing. If the majority of people are dabblers (and considering this is a gaming forum on the internet and most on here are dabblers) are games doing something wrong? Are they inherently flawed? I mean, those that dabble, do you have books half read, films half watched etc? All that time spent by devcos putting in all those little extras and for what? So that about 5%of people who play their game can see them? Does that seem right? When so many games have little things that could have been put right, why bother with unlockables and extras when they have the fundamentals right? Do you see what I'm getting at?

I'm a bit of both. some games are fun to pick up and play, yet at the same time, other peolpe will be raving about how great it is and it's all they play.

I definately play GC games more thoroughly, not sure why, I just must really appreciate the controller, or something.

I will never bother to complete Doom 3.

I will complete Halo 2

I'll have a go at half Life 2.

I hope Metriod Prime 2 is more interesting :/

This is why I lov my chipped xbox, dabble-me-do!

or something

So here's the thing. If the majority of people are dabblers (and considering this is a gaming forum on the internet and most on here are dabblers) are games doing something wrong? Are they inherently flawed? I mean, those that dabble, do you have books half read, films half watched etc? All that time spent by devcos putting in all those little extras and for what? So that about 5%of people who play their game can see them? Does that seem right? When so many games have little things that could have been put right, why bother with unlockables and extras when they have the fundamentals right? Do you see what I'm getting at?

If the gameplay is good enough people will become hooked and play till completion in my opinion, I guess I just find fewer games as addictive. Although I rarely have time for lengthy games either these days, but that has led to me cutting down on the number of RPGs I play.

I must admit many of the games I've become bored with have been ones I've seen recomended on the forum, I really must stop listening to you lot.

I want shorter games. Action games / FPS's that take, ideally, about 10 hours to finish.

Also: an option to unlock everything once you've got 90% unlocked would be nice. For example, there's stuff in Timesplitters 2 that I'll never see (and most people I know won't who've played it won't either).

In my younger days, when my parents use to buy me games I was a completist. Getting everything out of the game, as I was lucky to get one new game a month.

However, since I'm now working I've turned to a dabbler thanks to my income and the fact that I tend to buy any old crap if it's cheap. :(

I think its more a case of games being more openended these days. In the past you didn't have as much choice in-game. You just had to finish the game, anything you get "along" the way is extra.

Nowadays you can finish the main game, go back to collect extras, beat scores, harder difficulty.

So actually no, developers are doing something right. If the gamer wants it, it's there for them. If they don't want the extra, they don't need to do it.

But if your talking about the game itself not being hooking enough for people to do just that, well, one reason or another has already been stated in the topic.

I buy very few games, I only play one game at a time, I only play first person perspective games these days, I prefer realistic locations, and I generally complete the game that I am playing (unless it's crap).

That probably makes me unique B)

I'm a Completer for the most part. I can rarely be bothered to go back through a game and collect all the pieces of fruit etc, but I usually plug away until I see an end screen. Definite Retro dabbler, all the fuss I made about getting all the Snes, MD & Mame roms I could find, and (bar Robocop Arcade which I've completed more times than is probably healthy) I've barely spent more than five minutes on each of them. It's more of a must own it thing than a must play it one.

Like many people here I used to be a completer but now I'm a dabbler (with some notable exceptions). If a game really grabs me then I'll finish it or, if it's an open-ended game like PES3 that I love, I'll happily put loads of hours into it.

Also like many others here, I've been playing games for quite a while. It's not only the more money/less time issue that's made me a dabbler, it's the fact that I've been playing games for something like 24 years. My reaction to most new games that I play is just :( and I'm happy to give up within an hour or so if I'm not genuinely enjoying it.

To a lesser extent this has also affected my attitude towards game difficulty. It takes a lot more for me to persist with a hard game these days. I'd never just stick at a game because I'd paid £40 for it, something that I used to do a lot 10 years ago.

Dabbler.

I think the problem is difficulty/game design. The fact games most still have 'unfair' sections is ridiculous. The thing about games designers/testers not picking up on it because they play through small chunks of the game hundreds of times is annoying.

There's also parts in games you just sit back and think 'how the fuck did the designers think this would be fun?'

One game I'm playing at the moment which is doing lots of things right is BG&E, I'm telling you, the difficulty level is perfect, you never really have to re-do sections (apart from certain stealth bits), but there is a feeling of 'oh god I'm not going to make it', but you do, and it's exhilirating. Whereas other games would have you redoing bits 10-20 times, and it's frustrating.

My post paraphrased There are too many shit games to bother completing.

I certainly will NOT complete a game if it gets boring or doesn't live up to the initial promise.

In fact I've not completed that many games in the current gen, maily rhythm action stuff and the off action/adventurer like ICO.

Obviously all the arcade beat 'em ups.

But I'm soo into shmups at the minute that I only ever use 1 credit, so the game that I'm thinking will be my first 1CC will be ESPGaluda or Gradius V.

:(

I would have always said that I'm a completer but I can almost feel a slight change coming on, and I'd agree that it's related to money (though I'm sure there are other factors). Having recently got my first payment in my first 'proper' job (I'm a till monkey at Tesco!) I've suddenly found myself with more money than I'm usually used to. I'd been playing through Harvest Mooon: A Wonderful Life and had every intention of finishing it, but the temptations of Riddick and Full Spectrum Warrior proved too great now that I can actually afford them and it now sits unplayed in my Gamecube.

Having said that, I've finished those two games (one of the benifts of being young and on holiday I suppose!) and will probably go back to Harvest Moon today.

But then again I could always get Ninja Gaiden...........

I used to be a 100% completist, but that was because I didn't have enough cash to buy all of the games I wanted.

Today things are totally different. I have a chipped box with about 40-45 games (many of which I haven't even checked out yet), and about 70 retail games.

I have so incredibly many games which I tend to complete, I kind of get demotivated to actually start doing it.

I actually have about 5 games in queue which I finished for 95%.

So, in the end I always end up picking up Topspin or another Live-game for a quick and accessible gaming fix.

I'm generally a dabbler, but I do complete the odd game. The main problem I have is time - having a family severely limits my gaming time. I'm also prone to impulse buying a new game based on feedback on this place ("Chronicles of Riddick" being a prime example).

I'll probably finish "Chronicles..." though - it's the correct sort of length for me to persevere with.

Definitely a Dabbler.

Even good games* might only get a couple of evenings out of me.

(* eg. Full Spectrum Warrior, which I can appreciate for what it is, quite enjoyed playing, but really can't be bothered to pick it back up and put in the Xbox... )