IGNORED

Max Payne 2 Is Great Fun.

JoeK

Whenever I get new upgrades for my PC, I always put on as many of my older games to see how much better they run.

Max Payne 2 was always one of those games that impressed me. It looked great on my old GF2 card, and it looks great now.

But it's just so much fun to play! Guns, girls, and rough gravelly voices.

It just doesn't get much better.

Like Doom 3, it's not trying to anything to change the world, just giving you a bit of fun.

Soundtrack is superb as well.

Only thing which slightly bugs me is the way Max can only run everywhere.

I like to walk and strut, whilst shooting off bullets into nasty people.

Even so, it's great fun. Even think the packaging is above the usual standards!

Buy it, those silly people who haven't yet. It's nice and cheap.

I enjoyed it too, but it did feel a little tired next to other third person actioners of the time. I think it's general muted response suggests that bolder steps need to be taken next time around. Don't mean to be downhearted over it though, as I say I did enjoy the basic run and gun ethos of the game, I just don't think they can rely on the same gimmick to carry it through a third instalment.

I thought the first one was a one trick pony, albeit very pretty for the time, and I quite enjoyed it for all it's gritty atmosphere and looks. The second one is just more of the same, and as such a bit 'meh' to me. I gave up about a level before the end. Beautiful texture work though.

Whats the xbox one like been very tempted to try this one out as i did enjoy the original.

The same as the first really. Same graphics, same silly dance when moving sideways, same game mechanics. But, compared to the original, it is very very short. I also found the locations to be lacking in variety. Finally, the first game had an atmosphere of seediness, depression and debauchery. Max 2 doesn't have this at all, and is more of a (sort of) love story.

It may sound like I'm putting the game down, and you'd be right, but if you like the way Max Payne played then you'll like Max Payne 2.

I do.

The Xbox port is a very faithful and playable conversion of the PC game. The only differences are that it has longer and more frequent load times, aiming is a bit harder, and it's stuck in low-res.

The PS2 port is apparently, awful.

I love Max Payne, purely for the stylised combat and that fact is one of the most atmospheric videogames ever made. You can practically feel the steam rising out the drains. :)

Just to confirm the PS2 version is bloody awful

Avoid like the plague

Shame as I enjoyed the first one on PC - sadly my computer has gone way past the time where it can play anything released in the last 18 months...

It might be worth a shot you know. I was genuinely suprised when I originally got it - amazed that it ran pretty much like it looked like it should in the screenshots!

And that was with a 64MB GF2 card, 256MB blah blah blah.

Go on...give it a go.

Hell yeah! Max Payne 2 is the best Third person shooter ever. It's so good, it's so "simple" and it looks superb. I hope there will be a MP3! :unsure:

(Oh and yes, ignore the PS2. Unless you want to laugh bigtime.)

(and i love to dive into a couple of boxes, woopie, the physics are great)

I did that too. It played through great on a fx5200, running smoothly throughout. I recently plonked a x800 pro in th PC and thought I'd just have a quick look to see if there was much difference.

Bloody hell, it looks fantastic. The effect on Mona's red jacket, bullets slamming into walls with brick dust flying everywhere, totally different screen effects during bullet time and the flare and flash when firing is just ace.

I ended up playing it all the way through. :unsure:

Which doesn't actually take very long.... :P

i loved max payne one on the PS2 but i heard max payne 2 is complete bum on the consoles.....i was going to get it on xbox

Max payne on the PS2 is awful, how can you play a game that runs at barely 20fps :unsure:

The Xbox versions of both titles are actually pretty good and actually playable in comparison to the PS2 efforts. Still the PC version is the place to be.

Yes, MP2 is great - in fact its one of the best games of the last year.

I got it on xbox and it plays very well indeed.

The story, while very good, is nowhere near as good as in the first game.

I played MP on the PS2. While it might have been shit compared to the xbox and pc versions I thought it was (at the time) the best looking game on PS2. As I didn't have a PC or xbox at the time I didn't give a fuck that it was inferior, I just enjoyed the game a lot.

The sequel is definately easier.

If you have it on PC, make sure you get the Cinema mod. It's probably better than the normal game.

Got this last night. It's a really well done mod with great looking (and sounding) weapons and textures. Even the new face for Max isn't bad. Wish there was a way to take that bagpipe tune out of the bullet time though.

MP2 is probably one of the most fun 'quick fix' games I know of. That 'spinney round reloading thing' Max does in MP2 bullet-time has replaced Arnie's 'one-handed spinney shotgun thing' in Terminator 2 as my 'coolest thing evar', and I just can't resist shouting 'Billyyyyyy!' whenever I do a slomo jump to the side.

It's also great fun messing with the physics, like jumping into people and running away as the fall and get back up. Like the chapter which continues the opening section with the cleaner behind the door, and you can just keep knocking him over repeatedly without him being able to shoot. Funny as hell, as is slo-mo diving from the tops of stairwells. Class game if ever there was one, although I agree that, when played seriously, it's short, frustrating, and too confusing for it's own good.

I actually completed MP2 on the Xbox last night. I agree its a good game to just pick up for 5 minutes and play.

Not sure about the whole bullet time thing though, I got through the entire game without using it once. Ok, it might look cool but if it doesnt add any real benefit I don't really see the point of it.

Also, theres a really bad bit of game design right near the end...

Overall though, it was fun while it lasted. Would anyone recommend that I pick up the first one now as well?

I've got the xbox version, and it's....ok, I guess. I just hate the rubbish, forced Film Noir feel to it. All that bollocking about with shocking dialogue "The city was like the black hole in my heart" etc etc. Crap.

There's way better games in terms of playability out there IMO.

It does look nice, however.