IGNORED

Punk Rock

matt0

The Clash are my favourite band of all time, although only their debut era stuff would be traditional punk. The Ramones ar eok, some great songs, but some shite ones to, earlier Blink 182 is pretty good same with Green Day.

The music might be good but the whole 'Phenomena ' of punk rock is really over.

Not really. It's just different now. There's a massive d.i.y. network that's almost completely unreported in the mainstream music press. You get bands touring all over the world off their own backs, it's not uncommon to see bands from Japan, America and all over Europe playing in pubs in Leeds! That's pretty fucking cool I think. :(

Hawkeye: All great stuff! I've been listening to the Ramones on a daily basis lately. The first three LPs are faultless in my opinion (even some of the goofy eighties stuff with synths and mad reverb is pretty cool!).

McFly: If you like Blink 182, Green Day etc. you might want to give a listen to the Promise Ring and Lawrence Arms, they're both very straightforward poppy stuff. In fact I wouldn't even describe it as punk, just straight guitar pop. Well worth a listen.

Ahh. From Autumn To Ashes, the band I'm forever doomed to get mixed up with From Ashes Rise.

Someone should come out with one of those fridge magnet poetry kits for people to think up goofy melodramatic band names with. It could have words like Remnants and Agony in.

Im into this kinda shit like.

The ramones? Dont do anything for me

The clash? Possibly the first punk band i got into. Was quite dissapointed at Joe Strummers death, more so because I never got round to seing him live. The sad thing is, there two chances which I remember where I could of.

And Blink 182s new stuff is growing on me. Never been a fan as such. I could listen to them, but thats it.

And greenday can fuck right off.

Im more into the hardcore stuff which you seem not to be.

But ill listen anything really. Currently listening to:

Thrice- The artist in the ambulance. This is ace. Much better than their early stuff.

Elliott- Song in the air. Just bought this again after some theiveing smoggies broke into my car and yoinked it.

The Bled- Pass The flask. Just bought this too, after seeing the video for you know who's seatbelt. Its pretty fucking good too.

Im more into the hardcore stuff which you seem not to be.

But ill listen anything really. Currently listening to:

Thrice- The artist in the ambulance. This is ace. Much better than their early stuff.

Elliott- Song in the air. Just bought this again after some theiveing smoggies broke into my car and yoinked it.

The Bled- Pass The flask. Just bought this too, after seeing the video for you know who's seatbelt. Its pretty fucking good too.

I like hardcore, just tends to be old 80's bands or folks that go out of their way to sound like 80' bands.

What Happens Next

In Control

Rich Kids On LSD :(

Or really over the top, dark stuff like Poison Idea, Tragedy etc.

The more modern technical stuff leaves me cold to be honest.

Your first recommendation tempts me to check out your other two (I still return to the Thrice album after getting it aaages ago).. any tips on where to start?

Most of my fave punk bands at the moment are on Household Name. Capdown have always been great but have been a bit quiet of late.. the new Five Knuckle LP is s'posed to be utterly amazing. And just to pimp Adequate 7 once more..

Listen:

http://www.householdname.f9.co.uk/sounds/AD72.mp3

Or watch:

http://www.thirde.net/media/ad7_nospace_hi.wmv

They're excellent, man. And no, I'm not in the band. :(

the new Five Knuckle LP is s'posed to be utterly amazing.

I saw Five Knuckle for the first time in ages earlier this year... What's happened to them? :( I remember them having ska parts! Still sound good though, and you've got to love the crazy screaming bits their bass player does.

Indeed I am.

Wire

The Fall

Les Savy Fav

Gang Of Four

The Clash

PiL etc.

plus no-wave stuff like sonic youth.

All good.

That's the kind of stuff my housemate listens to. Drives me up the bloody wall!

I do like Entertainment by Gang Of Four though, and Pink Flag by Wire has it's moments. Early Joy Division when they were still called Warsaw is fairly awesome too.

There was that big post-punk compilation out on Rough Trade last year which was half late 70s / early 80s and half current bands which I'll grudgingly admit to liking stuff off to...

The Fall

Legendary band or what? Everyone should own one of their albums, IMO.

Err, anyway. I don't mind a bit of punk if you mean music from the actually era of punk... Can't stand modern bands who claim to be 'punk' as if its some kind of genuinely rebellious label....

Well, we had rehearsals from 4, and he arrived around 9, when he promptly shouted his songs at his (rehearsing) band from offstage, and called them all cunts. Then he sat and got pissed, finally rehearsing around 10pm, an hour before the (live) show. When we went live, he stayed firmly seated for the entirety of their first song, letting the band play it instrumentally. We thought he'd do the same for the second, but he got up half way through and started singing. Which is round about when I realised that I still liked them.

Yeah, I like more of the hardcore side of things. Currently however I am loving.....

Comeback Kid

Fighting Shit

Bane

Sick of it all

Propagandhi

Shai Hulud

Plus loads of the local bands from around my way like Kill winter, Dead After School, Eyelessingaza who are usually as good as the bigger bands.

I can definitely recommend Pass The Flask by The Bled, it's a great album

If you go on their site (http://www.thebled.net/) you can check out a few tracks in the discography section

I DL'ed a few songs off this album from soulseek; really good so far. A bit more metally than I'm used to, but it's still really melodic. Worth a purchase I reckon! Ta for the recommendation.