rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Robo_1

Headhunter: Redemption

lol, thanks mart, but I'd already PM'd squirtle by the time you'd wrote that and took his advice on hitting him with the electro gun from behind...

Just finished the game, actually. Rather anticlimactic, not least because of the misleading percentage readout. I finished at about 80%, though I had thought the percentages were the measure of how far you were into the game, not how many secrets you'd found. I honestly thought I had another 20% to go, which was a bit of a letdown when it found out I didn't.

Nice end boss, mind... even if it wasn't a patch on the first game's finale. Indeed, I'd have to agree with the majority that say the sequel doesnt quite hit the heady heights of the original. Shame, but still an enjoyable take on the genre, and a worthy sequel that never gets near damaging series integrity. :)

There's nothing in the sequel that comes close to the bomb defusing bit in the first game. One of my most exhilirating gaming moments that was. Really getting into the bike riding and tearing about. Just brilliant. Although I really did like the whole TV section in HH:R. And I also thought that character development was handled quite well for a game too.

I finished it this morning. At 3 AM. What a game.

It's had me up till the early hours for the past few days. It's just really, really great. The sounds, the scenery, the puzzles (barring the stuff requiring precision rolling) and the characters are fantastic. Jack Wade is a much better character in this game than in the first one, and he's got some great dialogue.

The whole thing about adrenaline being all you need to defeat bosses is total bullshit. It won't help you much in the most important fights and not at all in the last boss. The only encounters it'll help you with are ones like Che's guards, which are just regular guards with rocket launchers.

For me, it's ten times the game that Second Sight is.

it doesnt support 480p, so i cant play it.

i removed all of my xbox equipment from the tv and i took my box and a vga monitor to the sparest of spare rooms.

and it wont play! boo-urns

I finished it this morning. At 3 AM. What a game.

It's had me up till the early hours for the past few days. It's just really, really great. The sounds, the scenery, the puzzles (barring the stuff requiring precision rolling) and the characters are fantastic. Jack Wade is a much better character in this game than in the first one, and he's got some great dialogue.

The whole thing about adrenaline being all you need to defeat bosses is total bullshit. It won't help you much in the most important fights and not at all in the last boss. The only encounters it'll help you with are ones like Che's guards, which are just regular guards with rocket launchers.

For me, it's ten times the game that Second Sight is.

o/\o

Glad you enjoyed it, too. It is a cracking game.

finally got a digital setup erm setup so now i can continue with the game.

Entertainment may just be my favourite level in a game ever. The horror room made me think "hmmm this looks like a homage to.... and then i found it on the floor next to the desk" Huge smile and shows that the people at Amuze must love playing games as well as creating.

Having done Pyschostar i can also throw my weight behind the theory that the guy who reviewed it for Edge was talking out of his arse on boss encounters. Damn man, Che wasn't too hard but that was another boss where you couldn't cheat.

It's gone.

Poor show. If I didn't already not buy OXBM anymore, I'd certainly stop buying it.

That was a shit sentence...

If I found out you'd ever bought an issue of OXM, I'd never sleep with you again.

*snigger*

Can I ask two questions about this 'ere game to those in the know:

1. does the aiming / targetting work properly this time round? (it was bloody awful in the first game)

2. is it longer than the 1st one?

I really enjoyed the first game, but nearly gave up a few time due to the bloody awful targetting, and sometimes badly designed sections.

Can I ask two questions about this 'ere game to those in the know:

1. does the aiming / targetting work properly this time round? (it was bloody awful in the first game)

2. is it longer than the 1st one?

I really enjoyed the first game, but nearly gave up a few time due to the bloody awful targetting, and sometimes badly designed sections.

The targeting is probably the games most controversial feature. As soon as you click the targeting button, the crosshair hovers over your target, taking a few seconds to actually lock on. It made for some interesting battles, and certainly gave the game's combat a different (more tactical/real) feel to many other third person shooters of the time.

I actually tried going through it again a few months ago, but aside from the aforementioned targeting mechanic, some pretty crazy boss battles and of course Richard Jacque's fabulous soundtrack, the game itself is fairly by-the-numbers.

That being said, you can probably find it for a few quid nowadays, so if you enjoyed the first, I reckon you'd get 5 pounds worth of fun from it easy.

So is it better than Psi-ops and Second Sight?

Don't quite get the link between those 2 telekinetic themed games and this, but I'd certainly rate it above Second Sight, (which some people loved, but I could just never get into) but below Psi-Ops as that's still one of my all time faves.

I didn't like Psi-ops. The controls were innovative and great but, in the other hand, the plot was boring and flawed. Just dull and pointless aimed to fourteen years old kids say "It's cool". No more Rambo scripts made by programmers please, bedroom coders age is over.

Sorry to necro bump, but...

That open letter from Amuze, regarding the terrible review in Official Xbox Magazine #34 from October 2004.

I've been trawling for hours online and can find no trace of this review, no scans, no archives of the magazine itself. The Wayback Archive (archive.org) only has copies of the US magazine, which obviously does not have this review.

This feels like a serious piece of games history, a travesty of journalism, and yet it's never been archived, it's not available, and the reviewer (who would have been named) never interviewed about how and why this happened. I have my own horror stories of fiascos working on games mags, but this feels like one of the biggest (just before my time sadly).

Does anyone have the mag? Can I buy it? Can you scan the mag or review? I really want to know more about this.

For context, I found the following quote on GRcade forums:

Compare and contrast to how Official Xbox Magazine handled the Headhunter Redemption review. Their reviewer didn't have enough time to play it properly so made up a few bits & pieces about a vehicle section that didn't exist, and when they were called out on it (by readers and the developers), the reviewer claimed he was talking about a cut scene. Except he wasn't. So they then just deleted the thread on their message board and started banning anyone who mentioned it again.

• Upvote 2

On 10/09/2004 at 16:19, Guest Amuze_20-09 said:

Open letter to Official Xbox Magazine (UK)

As a fiercely independent games developer, we totally respect the right of

reviewers to make harsh but heartfelt criticism of games released to the

public. But like all rights, this comes with responsibilities.

Foremost of these must surely be factual accuracy. In your review of

Headhunter Redemption (Issue 34, October 2004), you claim that cut scenes

"can't be skipped... Grrr!" This is incorrect: all cut scenes in the game

are skippable. Grrr, indeed.

More mysteriously, you conclude your review by stating that "the odd bike

chase succeeds in breaking up the on-foot action." There are no biking

sequences in Headhunter Redemption: a fact that would be apparent to anyone

who had actually played the game.

Naturally we would prefer everyone to appreciate our game as much as many

other reviewers have done, but we will always try to learn from

well-informed criticism. It is far harder to accept ill-informed,

unprofessional journalism.

Perhaps in future you could show us, other developers and your readers this

simple courtesy: if you can't be bothered to play a game, don't bother to

review it.

John Kroknes

Philip Lawrence

Amuze.

It seems Amuze themselves started an account on RLLMUK so as to post the letter here too.

I can't believe the review is nowhere online. I want to see some scans! :(

• Upvote 5

Alas, the latest issue I have is #18. Apparently even as a horny 21 year old, that Sudeki cover was too much and I bailed on the magazine after that.

Also flicking through a previous issue they gave Enter the Matrix an 8.5. Wow, Headhunter Redemption must be a real piece of shit.

Massive wink.