IGNORED

Philip Glass

Shoes

try Stimmung” by Stockhausen

“Stimmung” is like a purification rite or an initiation ceremony. Dwell long enough in it, and you’ll soon be transposed too, to some focused point of inner space, where your life’s force wells up! When you sit back and loose yourself in these vowels, these overtones, you find that the music tends to hover in a vibrating oscillation just above the tip of your nose, from where it spreads a warm harmony throughout your anatomy.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone recommend anything else by the man?

Just downloaded the koyaanisqatsi soundtrack and it's great, also ordered a couple of his symphonies (2 and 3 I think) and a compilation of works (one of those 'Essential' ones). I think I may have found my calling, to the music college!

Just downloaded the koyaanisqatsi soundtrack and it's great, also ordered a couple of his symphonies (2 and 3 I think) and a compilation of works (one of those 'Essential' ones). I think I may have found my calling, to the music college!

'Solo Piano', of course. And 'Songs from Liquid Days'. And maybe '1000 Airplanes on The Roof'.

I've got 'Glassworks'. Some of it goes on a bit, but it does include 'Facades', one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard (which isn't difficult, being as I mostly listen to METAAAAAAL). It's a composition for strings and clarinet, I believe. Haunting yet uplifting. Yum.

I first heard 'Facades' on Classic FM's Chiller Cabinet programme, and was blown away, but that show doesn't have a DJ, so I didn't have a clue who it was. Luckily heard it again a few months later on a show with a DJ, and promptly ordered the disc.

Personally, I love his soundtrack to Scorcese's 'Kundun'. Haunting, moving and definitely added an extra layer to an already great movie.

• 2 years later...

Almost created a new thread, found this as a last minute search just in case - I'm in the process of acquiring the above tracks :P

Was going to start the thread with this:

I'm completely ignorant about classical music, even "new" classical music but the work of Philip Glass has crept into my conciousness through other areas of pop culture - films, the last GTA and this great mash album from the excellent DJ BC and I've loved the music. Now want an album I can get my teeth into but I've got no idea where to start.

Recommend me a CD title, basically.

Brimming over with wrongability.

I'm with Roger Ebert:

'Powaqqatsi is finally, essentially, a New Age music video, a series of images torn from context, scored, and edited to soothe us with their wonder while we idly try to pluck messages from them.'

I'm with Roger Ebert:

'Powaqqatsi is finally, essentially, a New Age music video, a series of images torn from context, scored, and edited to soothe us with their wonder while we idly try to pluck messages from them.'

Yeah, but that's not Koyaanisqatsi.

I thought the movie was a load of shit, too.

You didn't like the music either, Alex. You're such a fickle mushhead.

Torn from context? Sooth? Er, no.

It's nothing at all like that.

I haven't seen the second - I always heard it was naff - but I've always loved the first. It's incredibly beautiful, and incredibly depressing. I can't listen to Glass' music without linking it directly with the images.

Koyaanisqatsi%2033.jpg

;)

Though the last time I watched it I fell asleep.