IGNORED

Philip Glass

Shoes

Hadn't realised the MP3 links weren't there any more.

I'll leave this here for a week

Thanks, man! Looking forward to this.

Roger Ebert actually liked Koyaanisqatsi:

let me add that "Koyaanisqatsi" is an impressive visual and listening experience, that Reggio and Glass have made wonderful pictures and sounds, and that this film is a curious throwback to the 1960s, when it would have been a short subject to be viewed through a marijuana haze. Far out.

Hm.

Recommend me a CD title, basically.

Koyaanisqatsi really is utterly superb, and if you like that you'll probably like Music For 18 Musicians by Steve Reich too. :lol:

Man I'm tempted by that box set that was linked to earlier though!

Hadn't realised the MP3 links weren't there any more.

I'll leave this here for a week

Thanks for that, just grabbed it. Not sure if it'll be my cup of tea, but I'm certainly interested :lol:

Anyway, enough film squabbling, what other Glass compositions hit the spot? I don't have any of his soundtrack work - what's notable from that lot?

Also, most of you will probably have seen this before, but I love the

• 7 months later...

I saw Philip Glass perform a solo piano show last night in Norwich, so good. He's not the most technically perfect pianist, but just being in the same room as the man felt a honour - had shivers down the spine on so many occasions when he was playing, really spellbinding. He sounds a bit confused when on the mic, but I'll put that down to his age; he couldn't be more charming and charismatic regardless, and seemed to be having a great time.

Setlist from memory:

Metamorphosis 2,3,4

Mad Rush

7 Etudes

Satyagraha

Encore: Glassworks: Closing

2nd Encore: Short piece from The Thin Blue Line

I think he's in Manchester tonight and London next week, be there or be square.

I saw Philip Glass perform a solo piano show last night in Norwich, so good. He's not the most technically perfect pianist, but just being in the same room as the man felt a honour - had shivers down the spine on so many occasions when he was playing, really spellbinding. He sounds a bit confused when on the mic, but I'll put that down to his age; he couldn't be more charming and charismatic regardless, and seemed to be having a great time.

Setlist from memory:

Metamorphosis 2,3,4

Mad Rush

7 Etudes

Satyagraha

Encore: Glassworks: Closing

2nd Encore: Short piece from The Thin Blue Line

I think he's in Manchester tonight and London next week, be there or be square.

I'm seeing him in Manchester tonight. Cannae wait. How long did it last on average? And was there an intermission?

No intermission, the performance lasted just over an hour and a half.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet. Never been to anything like this before, so rather excited. I'm planning on whispering loudly to my missus that he's not as good as Richard Clayderman :o

Wonderful show last night. As you say, bph, his actual playing wasn't amazing (he fluffed notes on just about everything he played), but hey - when a 72-year-old is playing stuff that complex, it's a bit like criticising an architect because his brick-laying skills aren't up to scratch.

Still, I found Glass himself very charming, and I liked the intros between pieces. I knew about half the material, which was good as it gave me the opportunity to hear new stuff - the highlight being the eight etudes he played in a row - really intense and hypnotic - I spent half of the show with my eyes closed, just nodding along. Fantastic.

Although, staggeringly, it was tarnished by a bloke in the row behind occasionaly fiddling with his phone! And whispering to his companion things like "see, that's night vision". Also, when we were all giving Glass a standing ovation, this cunt and his partner (a similarly overweight bloke) immediately tried to leave, rather than waiting the 60 seconds everyone was clapping for. Bloke behind me refused to let them past, which led to a heated and sweary exchange of words.

Considering the number of metal and punk shows I've been to where nothing like this happened, I wasn't expecting that! Twats.