IGNORED

The Neighbours Thread

Thread Owner

I haven't watched Neighbours for years, always wondered if it would do well on netflix or something if they could add existing episodes. I would like to rewatch a few early episodes of neighbours and home & away, watched both of those for like 20 years!

29 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I haven't watched Neighbours for years, always wondered if it would do well on netflix or something if they could add existing episodes. I would like to rewatch a few early episodes of neighbours and home & away, watched both of those for like 20 years!

I don't think any of the streaming services have tried a daily or several times a week soap have they? Seems like a bit of a dying format these days.

I just googled to see how many episodes existed and neighbours is a little under 6,000 with home and away at just over 5,800!! :blink:

This is the best opportunity ever to do a totally ridiculous, OTT blow-out fantasy end to the series - think what they did with the last episode of Byker Grove (if you don't know about it, read this). The "good" Paul Robinson that's been a character for decades could revert to his old ways and finally get to unleash his plan from the 1980s to bulldoze Ramsey Street and build a shopping mall. They could reveal that we've actually been watching Bouncer's dream all along ... endless possibilities to do something memorable with this, I'll be disappointed if they waste it with some schmaltzy "they all lived happily ever after" bollocks. 

11 hours ago, McFly said:

Brilliant idea @Anne Summers

It could be a coma dream after Scott (Jason Donovan) and Charlene's (Kylie :wub: ) car crash.

Just imagine if they have Kylie waking up in hospital, in her late 40s, having slept for the past30 years. Then Karl is the doctor that's been looking after her ...It would be the greatest TV moment ever (apart from Twin Peaks The Return of course). 

Coincidentally I watched Neighbours for the first time in about 15 years the other week, Surprised to see that Karl, Toadfish and Paul Robinson are still in it. But it’s utter garbage, like American soap level of garbage (with what seemed like many scenes of actors looking “confused” after something kind of important was said).

What I thought was scary was the production company saying that without a “broadcast partner”, like Channel 5, the program isn’t financially viable. I’m not being funny, but the budget looked like it was about 10 bucks (Australian). So it sounds like Channel 5 has basically been propping this up for the past few years and Australia’s been getting it for (almost) free. No wonder they’re pulling the plug. 

(I also didn’t realise it’s now shown on the “10 Peach” network in Australia. WTF is that?)

Yeah, Neighbours is well finished.

2 hours ago, gone fishin said:

So it sounds like Channel 5 has basically been propping this up for the past few years and Australia’s been getting it for (almost) free. 

That's exactly what happened. 

Without the UK Neighbours would have been finished years ago. It's actually not that popular in Australia itself. 

On 10/02/2022 at 09:16, Anne Summers said:

Just imagine if they have Kylie waking up in hospital, in her late 40s, having slept for the past30 years. Then Karl is the doctor that's been looking after her ...It would be the greatest TV moment ever (apart from Twin Peaks The Return of course). 

On 10/02/2022 at 11:32, McFly said:

That's the way to go for sure

If they do something like this (which they better, imagine the ratings!) then every other person they see in the hospital has to be a former character. You could have Hannah Daniels pushing around Helen Daniels in a wheel chair. Libby and Drew are there having a baby, The Scullys are all there hanging around in the waiting room, Toadfish can be the hospital janitor, and we see Harold visiting Madge or something.

It would be beautiful.

43 minutes ago, spork said:

If they do something like this (which they better, imagine the ratings!) then every other person they see in the hospital has to be a former character. You could have Hannah Daniels pushing around Helen Daniels in a wheel chair. Libby and Drew are there having a baby, The Scullys are all there hanging around in the waiting room, Toadfish can be the hospital janitor, and we see Harold visiting Madge or something.

It would be beautiful.

Anything less than this is a disgrace, somebody must know a produer/writer or have them on social. media.

There was an article about Neighbours I was reading and in its heyday the ratings here in the UK were higher than the population of Australia at the time :lol: Also its mainly been the UK that kept it going, it was never that popular at home.

48 minutes ago, spork said:

It would be beautiful.

Aren't some of these actors dead? Or have I dreamt that as well? What is real?!?

On 10/02/2022 at 19:02, gone fishin said:

Coincidentally I watched Neighbours for the first time in about 15 years the other week, Surprised to see that Karl, Toadfish and Paul Robinson are still in it. But it’s utter garbage, like American soap level of garbage (with what seemed like many scenes of actors looking “confused” after something kind of important was said).

54216E8C-C169-44FB-843B-89D10AAF24B8.jpeg.447157dda7b9d5504f3cf70709d32684.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw an article (probably clickbait) saying Ryan Maloney /Toadie could move to Home and Away. It'd be great if he still played Toadie, like a crossover.

If anyone is old enough to remember, there was a character called Matt Musgrove in Brookside, and he moved to Hollyoaks and still played the same character. 

55 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

If anyone is old enough to remember, there was a character called Matt Musgrove in Brookside, and he moved to Hollyoaks and still played the same character. 

Even better, the actress who played Jacqui Dixon in Brookside plays an entirely different character in Hollyoaks (Diane), but performs the role as if she were still playing Jacqui Dixon!

1 hour ago, Thwomp said:

I guess both of those were part of the PhilRedmondverse though. Looking at the current cast Sophie from Home & Away has been in Neighbours for a while!

I hope this goes out the same way as Brookside, with Karl and Paul leading a vigilante murder squad against a local dealer then Harold delivering a depressed monologue about the state of the world over a burning barrel.

• 1 month later...