Morrowind The Elder Scrolls 3

I have bought this recently and what a great game it is. I am a Dark Elf Warrior currently on level 12 and am really enjoying it so far. One question though, I have been playing for around 20+ hours now and there isn't much of a story. What I want to know basically is there a story and what missions do I have to do to progress into it?

Thanks in Advance :blink:

Morrowind is a RPG in every sense. You, as the player in control of the character, must really try to BE the character. You need to pay attention to every single piece of information given to you. If you manage to do that, the story will reveal itself and engross you to the point of making you believe the gameuniverse actually excist.

My friend played the game and was put off by the fact that there didn't seem to be a major storyline throughout the game - even though it's the first area the game points you to. Eventually she realised that amongst the heap of sub-quests there it was, became so engrossed and now can't stop playing the damned thing. ;)

Toops

I had a dabble in this game over the last couple of days. First impressions were good - I thought the great sense of scale was conveyed very well. The non-linear nature of the game was also initially apparant. The impression of being in a well populated and living, breathing world was well executed.

Though for me, the downpoints detracted too much from the favourable parts of the game. The graphics seemed all too muddy and dark, atypical of western RPGs, I guess. This may just be from my upbringing on a staple diet of colourful Japanese RPGs, though.

Also - and this is a personal preference here - I really dislike first-person combat, its far too primitive, repetitive, uninvolving and just plain bland. Ironic in a way because the rest of the game feels so incredibly involving.

The end result is not having the inclination to persevere in what would ultimately be a life-engrossing prospect. Maybe for the best ;)

Aye, tis a fine game, but certainly not for everyone.

I played it on and off for about 2 years (having got it on release day) and I doubt I was anywhere near completing it. I got far too distracted trying to become head of the Mage's guild, building my own fortress and improving my reputation within the Televani house.

Lost my save game in The Great Hard Drive Failure of '03 unfortunately, and so I'll sadly never see it through to the end.

I started a second time through as a thief, then got to a point where I had to nick some darts from a big building - they were on a bed, that much I knew (after having to consult Gamefaqs... ;) ), but it turned out I had already nicked them beforehand and used them. So I can never complete that mission.

Balls.

I finished the thieves guild quests.

You can literally rob your way to excellence.

In the first town, Seyda Neen, I made about 4000 gp from just going on the rob.

Choosing 'the tower' as your star sign allows you to open doors with a rating of 50 or less.

Ker-ching!

It's a game I've toyed with trying, but after being disappointed by the dysentry-fest that was Arx Fatalis, I was put off of first person combat and corridor roaming and stuff.

They probably aren't all that similar to one another, it's just they seem to be along the same lines n' shit.

I started a second time through as a thief, then got to a point where I had to nick some darts from a big building - they were on a bed, that much I knew (after having to consult Gamefaqs... :lol: ), but it turned out I had already nicked them beforehand and used them. So I can never complete that mission.

Balls.

I've played the game through around 4-5 times, but have never been able to do so without some bug within the game ruining it for me. The most recent was in prematurely being able to challenge the head of the Imperial Legion (who resides in Ebonheart I believe) before having finished all the other Legion quests, allowing me to kill him in Vivec Arena but being unable to preceed due to his importance to the other uncompleted missions - and in thus never allowing me to become head of that guild. I also had the same problem with that idiot Arch-mage Trebonius at Vivec because I killed him, but could never become arch-mage due to the other mission's reliance on him which I hadn't completed. Bascially, it shouldn't have allowed me to pursue the final objective without having completed all the other sub-quests prior to or related to it.

Toops

The game is so huge that you can forgive a few of the bugs, but I must admit that it certainly lacks the polish of most eastern Rpgs but it more than makes up for it in depth. One thing I find in japanese RPGs is that they are nearly always non-linear , Morrowind was like a breath of freash air, go anywhere, do what you like, a great SDK. It may not be to everyones taste but I enjoyed all of the Hundred or so hours I have put into it, everyone I know that has played Morrowind have become addicted to it.

Can anyone tell me what the combat is like?

Is it real time actually hitting things or is it like badur's gate (pc version) where you use dice rolls and d&d rules.

Its in first person right so d you get to sniper things with your bow and arrow? or maybe not?

really thinking i might by this now but im completely addicted to rainbow six 3 total conquest mode.

Also fable is out soon...

Combat is a strange one. You fight in real time by smashing the left mouse button. Whether you hit the enemy or not is decided in the background depending on your stats (agility mostly I think). When you first start the game your character is pathetic and swipes with futility at the air around the enemy which can be pretty frustrating. Once you level up a bit, though, you hit with almost every strike.

With projectile weapons it's the same principle. I always liked archery myself. It's pretty satisfying once you start to hit things with a little consistency, and you can successfully skewer stuff before it even has a chance. It allows you to exploit the complete lack of AI too, as you can just stand atop a cliff and they'll run at the wall below whilst you fire at them.

I really like the theme tune

Now that I have a graphics card to do the game justice, I can play this the way it was intended... it's a stunning looking game and a technical feat. The openendedness is great, however, sometimes I prefer it to be a bit more in your face. It reminds me a bit of Ultima 7 Serpent Isle... I lost hours to that game just wandering around doing "stuff" and not particularly progressing the story.

Morrowind is one of those games where you want to explore every square of land just to see if there are any surprises...

Can anyonne tell me if the game is full of horrible monster things?

I know this sounds so stupid but i get full blown phobia syptoms when i see stuff like slimey eyeball type creatures in games, especially things like the half life monsters. I actually cant play half life becuase of this stupid phobia.

P.S

this is not a piss take :unsure:

• Empathy 1
Morrowind has half man half octopus nasties, pseudo-dinosaur looking things, ickle maggoty worm things and big troll type things. It's hardly Silent Hill territory though, not by a long shot.

dam dont think ill be buying this then, i think i need therapy

The game is so huge that you can forgive a few of the bugs, but I must admit that it certainly lacks the polish of most eastern Rpgs but it more than makes up for it in depth.

Got that one right on the money mate as I have just played Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life on GC and what a downer it was. It doesn't explain a thing to you (for example you have to actually BUY an item in order to find out when its season is - and the fat bitch farmer doesn't tell you about the seasons proper until much later (why couldn't they have explained this to me at the beginning?), even then you hear that melons should be grown from Summer to fall (er Autumn) without mentioning whether it actually 'included' Autumn or not. Another one says that you simply MUST find a wife and keep a dog - if it were Morrowind I would have killed it long ago...stupid things like this that grate). Morrowind is such a breath of fresh air.

Toops

The important question is: Where do you live?

Early on I set myself up in Balmora, doing over the pawnbroker and stealing his shop for my own personal use. Since then however i've run out of storage space, and spent a minor fortune in travel fares to transport everything to that abandoned tower in Gnisis (yes, I can't even remember the name of my own house) and am settling in quite nicely. The previous resident (a rogue Telvanni wizard if you didn't know) was no problem at all, despite putting up some vicious resistance. You understand that I had to get those huge sums of bribe money back somehow, right?

I'm kind of dissapointed that the game imposes a restriction on the amount of items you can have in these spaces, even if it is nonetheless quite generous. You see, basically, I was creating a grotto-style environment down in the prison - trying to cover the entire floor in bottles, pottery, candles and eventually my collection of precious stones and pearls (within the large bowls). Incase you never knew - what happens following this sort of over-enthusiastic behaviour is the game generates an 'overflow loot sack' and puts it all in there. I wasn't happy, and absolutely won't reveal the sort of timeframe my decorative spree took (being a perfectionist when it comes to placement).

Clearly i'm taking an Animal Crossing approach to Morrowind.

I ended up living in the Balmora Gents Club next to the slit slider. I also collected candles from around the land and those gothy red ones brings the place a touch of e-v-i-l to it. Collecting skulls is a good plan too.

Morrowind and Animal Crossing... an unlikely comparison, but I can see what you're talking about. Newcomers to Morrowind here's a tip - make the game non-linear if you like, but you risk breaking quests and stuff. Grr.