Elder Scrolls Iv: Oblivion Announced.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/index.php

"Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company, today announced that The

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is currently in development for PC and future

generation consoles. In development since 2002, Oblivion is another leap

forward in role-playing with its combination of freeform gameplay and

cutting-edge graphics. The world-exclusive details on Oblivion are featured

in the October issue of Game Informer. Check out their mammoth 12-page cover

story to get all the details and screenshots.

Incidentally, the cover for this issue is up on www.elderscrolls.com if you

want to check it out (And yes, that's in-game art on the cover). Subscribers

will starting receiving their copy any day now and it'll be on newsstands

Sept. 23."

Oooh.... the possibilities.

I hope it'll have some online possibilities. I missed the ability to play Morrowind in multiplayer.

From the press release

"We are pleased to announce that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is currently in development for PC and future generation consoles. In development since 2002, Oblivion is another leap forward in role-playing with its combination of freeform gameplay and cutting-edge graphics. The world-exclusive details on Oblivion are featured in the October issue of Game Informer. Check out their mammoth 12-page cover story to get all the details and screenshots. (And yes, that's in-game art on the cover.)"

Any eta? Another 4 years?

I'm looking forward to this too. Morrowind was so great yet flawed in so many ways, so I have high hopes that they'll take another step forward with this iteration.

I hope it'll have some online possibilities. I missed the ability to play Morrowind in multiplayer.

Noooo! Didn't you read Gamecentral t'other day?

As long as it comes out on the future consoles I'm good. Will never have a PC good enough to play anything ever.

Yay! I love Morrowind. Crassius Curio is the best character ever.

And the Gamecentral article was indeed right: online Morrowind just would not work.

Yay! I love Morrowind. Crassius Curio is the best character ever.

And the Gamecentral article was indeed right: online Morrowind just would not work.

Agreed. Elder Scrolls + Online = No no.

I'm excited too. Mind you having said that, the game will be out on next gen consoles...but how long will we have to wait this time? Oh and do you Cassius Cosades?

My Xbox Morrowing crashes alot now, struggling it is...so much inventory...need more power!!! PC one's find though...

Toops

I'd be dead dissapointed if the game went online. I get the same kind of thrill as from Elite: having a little world/universe that exists entirely in an electronic box, sitting underneath my television.

I have doubts that they'll iron out the manifold flaws quite yet. It's an incredibly tall order, but the first developer to polish up something of that scope will definately know it.

The battle system is alright. Just when you start out you're rubbish at it, so it can get very annoying.

After the broken Xbox Morrowind experience I swore I'd never buy anything by these guys again, but I feel myself weakening....

Morrowind was great except for the broken quests and the fact you can buy skills, so cheating was inevitable. I loved raiding caves and killing bandits though, that was great. The fear of corprus was also cool except, of course, when you ended up being immune to it. Grr.

I'm just in awe at the cover of Game Informer for this game. INGAME?! Fuck. New PC.

oblivcvr01B.jpg

edit - Gameplay scans! http://www.3dchips-fr.com/forum/showthread...?threadid=75189 (scroll down a bit)

They've solved the biggest issue I had with Morrowind: shit drawdistance!

I always knew the gameworld could be so much more evocative if you could actually see stuff from the top of a hill. And is that a horse in the screenshots?!

Interesting screenshots. I notice one of them claims to represent the quality available from Xbox 2; looks pretty nifty.

I was just reading the translation of that forum. Couple of tidbits:

The gameworld will be smaller.

Character ageing, motivations.

Horses!

Uses Havok.

Couldn't decipher the rest of it.

Oh dear. I appear to have made a mess in my trousers. All because of some grass in a screenshot.

It's mainly the atmosphere of the game world that kept me playing Morrowind. Heading off into the wilderness as the sun rises, or arriving at a new town in the pouring rain. Great stuff really. This looks like it'll be even more atmospheric.

Ooh yeah, and more weather effects, that's what I want. Thunderstorms, blizzards, that sort of thing.

Oh dear. I appear to have made a mess in my trousers. All because of some grass in a screenshot.

It's mainly the atmosphere of the game world that kept me playing Morrowind. Heading off into the wilderness as the sun rises, or arriving at a new town in the pouring rain. Great stuff really. This looks like it'll be even more atmospheric.

Ooh yeah, and more weather effects, that's what I want. Thunderstorms, blizzards, that sort of thing.

Those sandstorms were wank, though.

I can't remember, were there places in Morrowind where there was always a sandstorm?

Ooooh, I hated them.

I was just reading the translation of that forum. Couple of tidbits:

The gameworld will be smaller.

Character ageing, motivations.

Horses!

Uses Havok.

Couldn't decipher the rest of it.

A smaller gameworld doesn't sound great (well, slightly smaller would be fine!). However, on gut reaction, I don't like the idea of character ageing if it puts a limit on the amount of time you can take to play the game before you end up an old goat, but it could be fun if well implemented. As far as motivations, that was one of my favourite parts of the previous, in that you got to make it up yourself. The freedom to decide what to do just as much as why to do it was great.

Still, as ever, if they implement the ideas in a good way, I'll be very happy as they could bring something new to the game.

(and those screenies look great)

I totally hear ya.

It seems to me, to be a game series that improves with technology. Had a look at some screenshots of it's forebears, and they don't look very appealing with crusty graphics; almost a direct subtraction of the sum of Morrowind. Not that i'm usually so prejudice - just that without the means to dispay the architecture, landscapes, characters and models with fairly high-fidelity it just doesn't work (for me).

That sounds pretty shallow really.

However, on gut reaction, I don't like the idea of character ageing if it puts a limit on the amount of time you can take to play the game before you end up an old goat, but it could be fun if well implemented. As far as motivations, that was one of my favourite parts of the previous, in that you got to make it up yourself. The freedom to decide what to do just as much as why to do it was great.

My mistake: it was the NPC's this stuff applies to. Talks about children growing up, and guards going for toilet breaks etc.

Those sandstorms were wank, though.

I can't remember, were there places in Morrowind where there was always a sandstorm?

Ooooh, I hated them.

No way man, they looked cool! All that red dust flying about and the town banners flapping in the wind. Great stuff.

Imagine that but with NPC's struggling against the storm, shielding their faces as their clothes flap about, and tumbleweed blows down the street. It'd be wicked! *does that clicky fingers thing*

I can't wait until this comes out in 2025. In fact, I'm going to "rest" for 24 hour chunks until it's out. Hopefully my rest won't be interruped by too many Cliff Racers.

The weather was one thing that Morrowind did excellently. Seeing the lightning forking through the sky along with the rumble of thunder as the clouds gathered and the sky darkened was superb.