Online Co-op?

mr_rmg

iirc it's something to do with one Xbox handling all the enemy AI and then having to inform the other boxes through the magic of the internet. Too much info which is needed immediately.

Ahh, yes. That makes sense. I should have thought about it for than 10 seconds. A rare lapse of judgement of my part.

I apologise to all those who formally had faith in me.

iirc it's something to do with one Xbox handling all the enemy AI and then having to inform the other boxes through the magic of the internet. Too much info which is needed immediately.

and having 16 human players isn't too much? :-/

Sounds like total bull to me.

and having 16 human players isn't too much? :-/

Sounds like total bull to me.

Yeah but your xbox isn't calculating all the AI for the other 15 players is it, just their positions on the map, nothing (or little) more.

Besides all that I believe it will be in the game, my opinion is this because Gearbox were pretty close to including it for the PC version but there were quite a few issues they could never get sorted, my guess is that Bungie may solve it.

Full spectrum warrior had online coop. Go figure.

Having not played FSW yet ( :) ) I can't be sure, but I believe there would be at least 5x the amount of enemies on screen throughout the game with Halo/2

Probably more than that going on a few prewiews i've seen of FSW...

*cough*Rainbow Six 3*cough* :)

4 player online co-op campaign baby, yeah. lag-free too.

2 terrorists (idiotic ones at best) per room are not really equivilant to the amount of enemies you see in Halo during the massive outdoor/indoor expanses though is it?

2 terrorists (idiotic ones at best) per room are not really equivilant to the amount of enemies you see in Halo during the massive outdoor/indoor expanses though is it?

4 more like, at least one per player. And good point made there. I'd like to see it though... :)

Rainbow Six goes up to about 10-12 NPCs at the most with 4 players and no lag. Ghost Recon does up to 6(?) players on co-op with around the same amount.

I think a lack of Online co-op in Halo 2 would be shocking, in fact I will be disapointed if its *only* two.

Hmm. Idiot that I am, I had assumed, given the existence of online co-op in other FPSs, that Halo 2, delays and all, would be a dead cert to have it - I hadn't even thought of checking until now.

In fact, it's the online co-op aspect that had me most interested in the game (well, that and the single player) - I don't really care much for any of the deathmatch/CTF/etc. stuff I've played online.

What I'm trying to say is, some of you folks here have just made me cry. I hope you're proud.

Unless they have litterally hundreds of NPCs all doing crazy and diverse things, it is not (technically) unreasonable to expect it to be possible online coop.

And you're only talking about packets of data between two machines, and describing vectors and actions effeciently was solved long ago.

And anyway, loads of PC RTS games games transfer the entity data for AI armies, and it's not all that much removed.

AND on broadband anyway...

If they don't do it, it's for "we don't have time" reasons I suspect.

• 2 weeks later...