rllmuk
Peter Sissons

Arcade Magazine

Download Arcade issue 1Arcade was such a great magazine, nothing like it has appeared since, except for maybe GamesTM, thats the closest anyones got to emulating Arcade.

The reviews were wonderfully laid out and written, the letters page had interesting letters, lots of small interviews and tit bits with developers and their features were well done, especially their games night they did.

Only downside i felt was they didnt like the Dreamcast that much but never mind.

Basically for those paying attention, ive been working on a project to save our gaming magazines. Magazines once printed, are never printed again for obvious reasons, and over time they slowly die. They get thrown out, sold, ruined, what ever. But its getting harder and harder to find magazines for nostalgic purposes. Especially with postage costs involved and the sheer bulk of them. So i, along with the help of anyone willing to help (and on other forums they are helping by scanning american mags, which is great!) are scanning in every page of magazines so they can be kept in digital format forever.

So tonight i, with help from Soong (everyone please thank this man for hosting this first issue of Arcade as without him you wouldnt be able to download it!) are letting you download the first issue of Arcade Issue 1 for Free.

The file is 157 megs big (due to image quality) and comes as a .exe file. Basically i tried PDF but it came out at over a gig before it stopped it. This .exe is a paper port.exe (a bit of scanning software) clicking the .exe will open up the magazine in a pdf style format, it will NOT install any software, but will allow you to view and manipulate the pages as you see fit.

Im currently working on future issues of Arcade but sadly they will only be available on DVD due to the file sizes and bandwidth/hosting costs involved. One DVD will hold 20 issues roughly, around about the total of issues of the magazine created. I will have to charge a small fee for these DVD's (around 2 pounds), to cover costs of the discs, recorded postage, but most of all to buy magazines off ebay and people here with which to scan in. If people are willing to donate full sets of magazines then this cost will not be needed.

But i will go into this at a later date when i have a DVD created.

So please enjoy this first issue of Arcade and please thank Soong for hosting it.

It was my favourite gaming magazine and nothing has came close to replacing it in my eyes. Shame it died so quickly. I ended up with the medicore Video Gamer as replacemnet subsciption fodder (even worse when that went tits-up and they started sending bloody Gamesmaster). :)

Great idea, although to be on the safe side you might want to get the ok from Future first. You don't want to get into trouble for distributing copyrighted matrial particularly since many Future staff read this forum.

Great idea, although to be on the safe side you might want to get the ok from Future first.  You don't want to get into trouble for distributing copyrighted matrial particularly since many Future staff read this forum.

Ah, bollocks. What are they going to do? Sue you for lost revenue? They aren't selling it, you're not making any money. The worst that would happen is they ask you to stop distributing it. I'd wait until they ask.

Keep up the good work, and bring back everyone's favourite old mag.

• Upvote 1

But Arcade was terrible. I dont understand its revered status. I threw all mine out last year. Kept the 1st one but only because for the #1 on the cover.

Ah, bollocks. What are they going to do? Sue you for lost revenue? They aren't selling it, you're not making any money. The worst that would happen is they ask you to stop distributing it. I'd wait until they ask.

Keep up the good work, and bring back everyone's favourite old mag.

I agree with this. They write articles about emulation in their mags.

It just had a real enthusiasm for gaming, and a good sense of history. The quality of the content could be patchy sometimes but it was on the whole a great read.

Thanks for the kind word guys, sorry to get your hopes up :)

Ive decided to email a few people who've worked/work for future and future themselves to see what type of answers i get.

If anyone knows anyone who works for future (apart from TM as his message box is full) then please pm me so i can ask them.

Frankly id rather not get into trouble over something so petty and big companies can act very strangly over their IP. So we'll see how it pans out. Hopefully for the best.

Thanks.

Its amazing to see the shit that counted as its big review titles of the day. Tomb Raider 3 on the PS. I mean..fuck me...just ..a shit game. Even for then.

Their reviews were just so vague you couldnt gain any real insight. House of the Dead 2 on the DC got a 'good' write up. The game was a legend on a console that was producing arcade quality stuff. It got a half page saying it was a good shooting game with good graphics. Cheers for that chaps.

Thanks for the kind word guys, sorry to get your hopes up :)

Ive decided to email a few people who've worked/work for future and future themselves to see what type of answers i get.

If anyone knows anyone who works for future (apart from TM as his message box is full) then please pm me so i can ask them.

Frankly id rather not get into trouble over something so petty and big companies can act very strangly over their IP. So we'll see how it pans out. Hopefully for the best.

Thanks.

Seriously, its only copyright infringement, you aren't making any money and you aren't depriving them of income. There's no trouble you can really be in, if they're bothered they will ask you to stop.

But if you ask them first, you can guarantee they will refuse permission.

Apparently The people who host Your sinclair asked for permission and got it.

But still id rather not have copy right infringement and a large fine and criminal record next to my name.

Good lord, talk about overreacting. The worst they could do is tell you to take them down. As has already been pointed out you're not depriving them of any money and you're not making any financial benefit out it yourself so there's no real problem. It's certainly not something you're going to get a criminal record from. And how are they going to find you to issue you with this fine?

Personnally I think it's very unlikely Future will care, but I know if I was in Spunky Monkey's position I would just want to check with Future first. And unless any of us are Lawyers here, I think it's just the smart move to get the ok first.

Plus if Future do have a problem with it, they won't just go after Spunky, they'll go after forum for linking to it and I don't think anyone wants to either see this place get shut down or for Rob to get any hassle from Future over it. Everyone has thier own views I know, but I just feel it's better to be safe than sorry which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

As Charles has said its better for me to get the okay first. You may all moan but then again your not in my position. Once ive got a bit more information on the subject then i will go from there. Who knows, i may reinstate the link by this friday if its possible and i feel comfortable with it.

Thanks for the people who pmed me, i'll get back to you tonight.

Also sean, do you have them seven issues of maximum ud be willing to lend/give to me?

Does this mean distribution of Dreamcast (and everything before it) games is perfectly fine because they make no money from it? ;)

Cheers for this though Sacky.

Personnally I think it's very unlikely Future will care, but I know if I was in Spunky Monkey's position I would just want to check with Future first. And unless any of us are Lawyers here, I think it's just the smart move to get the ok first.

Plus if Future do have a problem with it, they won't just go after Spunky, they'll go after forum for linking to it and I don't think anyone wants to either see this place get shut down or for Rob to get any hassle from Future over it. Everyone has thier own views I know, but I just feel it's better to be safe than sorry which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

Bet you are a riot at parties!

My god, talk about drama Queen!