rllmuk
Peter Sissons

Arcade Magazine

I bought most issues of Arcade at the time. I have a vague memory of their massive review of Perfect Dark where one of the screenshot captions called Joanna  "a bit of a munter".

I also remember another multi-format mag that came out around the same time called - I think - Total Control. It was more traditional and classy, coming across as a version of Edge with less wankery. It didn't last as long as Arcade. Perhaps it was a bit bland.

6 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

I bought most issues of Arcade at the time. I have a vague memory of their massive review of Perfect Dark where one of the screenshot captions called Joanna  "a bit of a munter".

I also remember another multi-format mag that came out around the same time called - I think - Total Control. It was more traditional and classy, coming across as a version of Edge with less wankery. It didn't last as long as Arcade. Perhaps it was a bit bland.

I remember that review, although I remember it "a bit of a moose".

Used to love Arcade.  Was gutted when it bit the dust.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Parappa said:

Is there a PDF anywhere of Arcade issue 1? 

In the retro folder you'll find a whole range of retro magazine scans.

17 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

In the retro folder you'll find a whole range of retro magazine scans.

Except issue 1 of Arcade it would seem :( (I perhaps need to look harder though!) 

Arcade has some vintage Kieron Gillen writing. There's a round-up comparing the games to ex-girlfriends, if I recall correctly. And didn't Stuart Campbell write a great feature on the greatness of Ridge Racer Type 4?

• Upvote 1

On 29/10/2019 at 22:07, bum said:

I remember that review, although I remember it "a bit of a moose".

We were both wrong! It was "minger".

arcade01.thumb.jpg.ba0ee5e44f10eef73e1e7a3f7b1b9cd4.jpg

Here are the few that I still have... I dare not read them, in case I cringe myself to death.

arcade02.thumb.jpg.e640d064593d20766aaa0c6aaefbc437.jpg

• Upvote 1

Maybe this one is best left in the rosy memories. My only actual recollection of their writing is them rating star fox lower than other characters in some poll because he presumably eats out of bins and might get run over. 12 year old me did think that was genius though.

• Upvote 2

On 31/10/2019 at 04:28, James Lyon said:

Arcade has some vintage Kieron Gillen writing. There's a round-up comparing the games to ex-girlfriends, if I recall correctly. And didn't Stuart Campbell write a great feature on the greatness of Ridge Racer Type 4?

That Ridge Racer Type 4 essay was great and convinced me to buy the game.

I gave an almost complete run but if some of the content quoted here is representative of the content maybe it’s time to bin.

I remember loving Arcade back in the day and don't recall it being anything like some of the things quoted in this thread. I guess some things really are just best left in the past as rose-tinted memories, huh?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, bum said:

Keep them, and flagellate yourself every once in a while for having them.

Um no....I've had to clean up the houses of hoarders before and I'm doing my best to not go down that route.

If they've all been scanned I can chuck them without guilt.

On 01/11/2019 at 00:11, SqueakyG said:

We were both wrong! It was "minger".

arcade01.thumb.jpg.ba0ee5e44f10eef73e1e7a3f7b1b9cd4.jpg

Here are the few that I still have... I dare not read them, in case I cringe myself to death.

Hide contents

arcade02.thumb.jpg.e640d064593d20766aaa0c6aaefbc437.jpg

You aren't tempted to see these are you?

On 30/10/2019 at 17:28, James Lyon said:

And didn't Stuart Campbell write a great feature on the greatness of Ridge Racer Type 4?

Further proof that RR Type 4 was one of those divine things that could heal divides and unite people under the umbrella of its greatness. like Xmas Day footie in No Man's Land.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Further proof that RR Type 4 was one of those divine things that could heal divides and unite people under the umbrella of its greatness. like Xmas Day footie in No Man's Land.

Next referendum vote should be leave or a game of Type 4.

• Upvote 2