rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Sissons

Ffvii - Dirge Of Cerberus

3/10 I think.

Ever since sakaguchi hung up his... whatever he wore when working at Square, the company output has been less than noteworthy. I'd go so far as to say it's been "utter pish", in fact.

A GBA version of Advent Children ... would be icing on the cake.

GBA version? Advent Children is a movie isn't it?

Actually, the literal translation for the series' title is something like "Really Boring Random Battles". some how, this was translated as Final Fantasy.

Fish in a barrel :(

.::: "Really boring random battles"used to be "Really fast, frantic and fun random battles" in the pre-PSX days (and I'm not counting the le-me-read-the-disc PSX rehashes).

I don't think I believe this story that they chose the name Final becuase it was their last attempt at a game. That sounds distinctly like the self mythologising of a successful company.

No business can afford to cultivate the aura of failure, as that in itself will almost guarentee failure in the marketplace. No business would name their product after the fact that thay've had numerous failures in the past and that this product is their last attempt to succeed.

thats those mad japanese business ethics for you!

remember, once nintendo sold rice and ran love hotels

Finished FF7 only yesterday (no, it didn't take me seven years smartarse, I bought it about two months ago). Brilliant ending - one of the best I've ever seen.

I don't think I believe this story that they chose the name Final becuase it was their last attempt at a game. That sounds distinctly like the self mythologising of a successful company.

No business can afford to cultivate the aura of failure, as that in itself will almost guarentee failure in the marketplace. No business would name their product after the fact that thay've had numerous failures in the past and that this product is their last attempt to succeed.

Square themselves have actually given more than one explanation of why they called it "Final Fantasy". They usually trot out the line that's been repeated in this thread so many times, but I recall them actually coming up with a different explanation.

We'll probably never know. I couldn't care less, frankly.

Well according to Magic Box it's an RPG not a Devil May Cry clone.

Let's get this straight then a true sequel to FFVII is coming to the PS2? Then that's what RPG fans have been waiting for for bloody years.

I....am.....exciiiited.

A GBA version of Advent Children and FF V and VI would be icing on the cake.

..uhm ..true sequel?

..this is just a spin off game with vincent as the main character.

Advent children is a true sequel ..involving most of the characters from FFVII. Though ..its not a game.

And I agree that a GBA version of before Crisis would be nice.

Well.. nicer than a mobilphone version anyway.

The idea of a prequel with focus on the Turks does have potential.

But id rather see it as a a PS2 or GameCube game.

"Wasting" the prequel as a mobilphone game is just silly

I still prefer them to the le-me-read-the-disc version. And more encounters means more experience gained. So in the old non-disc versions, you could gain twice as much exp and what have you.

..uhm ..true sequel?

..this is just a spin off game with vincent as the main character.

Advent children is a true sequel ..involving most of the characters from FFVII. Though ..its not a game.

Spinoff, sequal, whatever, I just hope they don't fuck it up. I'm an optimist that way.

Here's a question though. If AC or DC turn out to be crap, and by that I do mean utter pish, will it result in a backlash that could see them losing a large chunk of their support? Almost every Final Fantasy fan I see seems to be somewhat compulsive regarding the series, owning, or at least playing every one that comes along. Even when they consider one to be crap, they still seem to get the next one. Would making a hash of it when revisiting one of, if not the most popular titles turn these people against them? I assume these die hard fans make up the majority of the games sales, or are they more popular with non die hards than I give them credit for?

Calling it "Dirge" isn't exactly the greatest method of inspiring confidence in the game, is it? That's apart from the fact that the name, main character and graphics all look far too Goth for my comfort. I suppose Vincent was probably the best choice of character (apart from Sephiroth) to place in a spinoff, even if he is an overly pale, greasy-looking oversized virgin. Presumably if he's wearing that gear then the game takes place after the game and not in his Turk days... I suppose it can't fuck up the ending any more than Advent Children has done already.

I'm sure it'll be a confident FF game in the same manner that FFX-2 was - hell, maybe it will take the FF7 mechanic and use it to create more fun encounters. But I can't help but feel it's going to detract from the value of the original.

.::: "Really boring random battles"used to be "Really fast, frantic and fun random battles" in the pre-PSX days (and I'm not counting the le-me-read-the-disc PSX rehashes).

Much as I enjoy the FF series in all its retarded glory, this looks like nostalgia to me. The battles loaded quicker, of course, but then they generally cropped up twice as often, and the one-frame enemies were a complete joke.

Actually, the literal translation for the series' title is something like "Really Boring Random Battles". some how, this was translated as Final Fantasy.

He's not wrong, you know. Except for FFIX. I liked that one.

Square are a weird company.

They make a fantasy RPG game called Final Fantasy. Final. The very name indicates that it is that last one ever. Then they make a sequel. Final Fantasy 2 is actually a hilarious title, if only they meant it to be funny.

But then this is forgotten and they start making sequel after sequel, Final Fantasy 3, 4 etc.

And then they released unlimited saga. Think there'll be a sequel?

Square are a weird company.

They make a fantasy RPG game called Final Fantasy. Final. The very name indicates that it is that last one ever. Then they make a sequel. Final Fantasy 2 is actually a hilarious title, if only they meant it to be funny.

But then this is forgotten and they start making sequel after sequel, Final Fantasy 3, 4 etc.

They start changing the games so that they are barely sequels to each other at all, just games in the same genre, so numbering them like sequels barely makes sense.

Then they make a movie based on this incredibly well known and loved fantasy RPG franchise, called Final Fantasy, but which bears no relation to any Final Fantasy game, character, setting, or even the genre itself. Its a bloody sci-fi film!

Then they start making sequels to individual games in the sequence *which already have sequels*! Final Fantasy X-2!? Final Fantasy 7 sequel?!?!?

What does Final Fantasy actaually mean?

I must've read this post about half a dozen times. It's genius.

Yay! It has the cat part of Cait Sith! :ph34r:

hmm.. if they wanted to rip off devil may cry why not just do that rather than piss over the memory of a classic game :S what next? FFVII Golf 2004? Vagrant Story Party? F1 2005:FFX Edition? Kingdom Hearts Rally?? ..

even if "dirge" is a decent game it will still be slated and sell like crap because it wont be as good/is different/not want people want as FFVII.

also squares non-RPG trackrecord isnt exactly inspiring :/

.::: ARISE YE THREAD OF LORE!

*ahum*

Anyway, DoC somehow needs to be payed for online...

Dirge of Cerberus is just one of the many titles spawned from Final Fantasy VII lore, but is purported to feature a pretty interesting multiplayer aspect to the Vincent-centric action game. Sony has posted the pricing plan to enjoy Dirge of Cerberus online - at least, for Japanese gamers.

Reportedly, the online play requires a hard drive, and will be a monthly fee of 760 yen ($6.47) for one character, with additional characters costing an addition 100 yen ($0.85). While not as costly as, say, World of Warcraft, it is still somewhat of an investment.

Dirge of Cerberus is set for release January 24 in Japan.

http://joystiq.com/2005/12/30/dirge-of-cer...-plan-revealed/

Which is kind of distressing for an online component that as of yet looks like any random thrid person shooter with FFVII bits thrown in for recognition purposes.

Also I guess the hard drive bit means Europe can kiss this game goodbye. (Or maybe they'll neuter it like RE Outbreak.)

.::: ARISE YE THREAD OF LORE!

*ahum*

Anyway, DoC somehow needs to be payed for online...

http://joystiq.com/2005/12/30/dirge-of-cer...-plan-revealed/

Which is kind of distressing for an online component that as of yet looks like any random thrid person shooter with FFVII bits thrown in for recognition purposes.

Also I guess the hard drive bit means Europe can kiss this game goodbye. (Or maybe they'll neuter it like RE Outbreak.)

You forgot to mention the other news?

UBERHOMOSEXUAL JROCK AND POP ULTRASTAR GACKT IS GOING TO BE IN THE GAME...

Is he going to be an NPC? YES!

Is he going to perform a song? YES!!

Is he going to LITERALLY be in the game because they're using some wacky digital technology to scan him into the game (which makes me think of those really crappy old telegames like that Mad Dog McCree with the crazy old guy) rather than just going for a sensible CG model approach like Bujingai? YES HE FUCKING WELL IS!

It's official... Final Fantasy VII : Dirge of Cerberus has already become the biggest selling game in Japan, and it's not even out yet.

.::: But isn't Gackt... shite?

He's a complete pretty boy, who loves his videogames and gundam... so he's like some twisted bishounen otaku.

Still, I have to admit I do love his music. Not so much his stuff with Malice Mizer, but some of his solo music is absolutely fanbloodytastic. Check out tunes such as "death wish" "Luna" "Rain" and "Birdcage". Blindingly good stuff imo.

I can't wait for some images of the ost. The 1st pressing sounds fantastic from a collectors standpoint.

Come again? <_<