Sega Rally 2005

Bojangle

AFAIK it was a straight to ps2 effort. Im curious about this too.

It was supposed to be Naomi 3 but theres rumor that the arcade version has been abandonded in favour of the home version.

I dunno about this game though.

Theres a mass of rally titles catering all tastes on current formats, before we've even seen the next gen efforts - although is arguable none of them have really captured that Sega Rally feeling.

Hasn't it also got some Random Track generator (or Sega used one) - very lazy if that is the case as theres a high risk the tracks could be quite dull.

Up until about 2 months ago it was still scheduled to release at the end of August, but now for whatever reason it's dissapeared. How odd.

Oh well, I guess you'll just have to satisfy your Rally needs with the latest WRC in September <_<

Up until about 2 months ago it was still scheduled to release at the end of August, but now for whatever reason it's dissapeared.  How odd.

i've never heard of an august release date, what are your sources? Play Asia has always had that "tba" release date.

It was supposed to be Naomi 3 but theres rumor that the arcade version has been abandonded in favour of the home version.

i read that on the System 16 page too this morning.. things are really moving slow with Naomi 3 (if it even exists).

i've never heard of an august release date, what are your sources? Play Asia has always had that "tba" release date.

Being a direct competitor to the game, its the sort of information that we need to know. As for a source needless to say I cannot reveal.

how many corners from Colin McRae X does anyone actually remember mastering? the courses all blur into one and thus have no charm, personality, excitement or challenge value. which (apart from the vastly superior handling in SR) is why SR pwns them all in the face.

I completely disagree with this statement.

I was one of those people that did play Sega Rally over and over again in time trial and it was great! I loved it on the Saturn and it probably was the best two player lap time face-off I have ever had.

But it shouldn’t be compared to Colin McRae because it was a completely different experience. (Now I’m talking about Colin McRae 1 here) but the game wasn’t about learning the tracks, it was about learning to trust the co-pilot advice. When you were flying on the PC version with a force feedback wheel, reacting to every word of your co-pilot and fighting to push the car as fast as it would go while still remaining on the track and not rolling, it was probably the greatest driving experience I have ever had.

Two different types of play.

I completely disagree with this statement.

I was one of those people that did play Sega Rally over and over again in time trial and it was great! I loved it on the Saturn and it probably was the best two player lap time face-off I have ever had.

But it shouldn’t be compared to Colin McRae because it was a completely different experience. (Now I’m talking about Colin McRae 1 here) but the game wasn’t about learning the tracks, it was about learning to trust the co-pilot advice. When you were flying on the PC version with a force feedback wheel, reacting to every word of your co-pilot and fighting to push the car as fast as it would go while still remaining on the track and not rolling, it was probably the greatest driving experience I have ever had.

Two different types of play.

There is something to be said for this point here, half the fun of CMR games is that you don't know the track yet you're still pushing yourself to the limit. I've got to agree that CMR shouldn't be slammed too much.

That being said, this doesn't mean that loads of tracks is right for a Sega Rally game. It's not. I've played SR1 to death, and the first track is still the only one I've really mastered, it'd still take me awhile to get into the swing of things on the other tracks. Perhaps a large number of tracks would be something you could forgive, once you'd weeded out the average and only drove the classics, which would be fairly easy if they're including all the tracks from the first game.

Randomly generated tracks though? Empty shells with no designer love in them? Sends shivers down my spine. Creating great racing tracks is a tough, time and effort consuming thing, not something you can leave up to a computer randomly generating numbers.

In the end though, if Sega thinks it will help sell the game, I guess there's not too much harm in them going for it. If we have the handling we want, online play, time attack and the tracks from SR1 ... well you've got a game worth buying right there.

I'm sure I read something about the tracks before, like there were a set number of "proper" arcade tracks and the random track generator was extra. Also, I recall something about a password system or something, being able to generate the track from this seed so you could save good ones, tell your mates about them.

Did I dream that? I must have... :(

Was it? Hmm, I don't even read EDGE :)

Track generators... hmm, can't say I recall many except for the 'X' cup in F-Zero X. Simple rules to define some structure, can't be too bad. I always liked playing through it.

If the co-driver is better in this new Sega Rally, maybe it won't be too bad. Like Colin McRae, as mentioned. It should be on the Xbox, the should have some proper co-driver Live play like in Sega GT.

• 2 months later...
on a side note, what's happened to their Altered Beast update?

Project altered beast arrived in the US about 4 months ago. Its very meh.

This with SR is that these courses look very bland compared to GT4, or (from what i saw of) WRC4.

Sega are making an arcade game update so its just no good to do Sega Really 2 with graphical updates to PS2.

They need to make it exciting again and whilst the control was very good anyway and assuming it doesn't change - they really need to make the levels exciting and different. Keep the rally vibe, but do something akin to O2 which made gamers actually look at it and think, fuck, thats actually really nice.

But i don't think they will. At least not from what i've seen.

Maybe the 'control feel' is enough though - as its never been bettered IMO.

I so want this to be great, I doubt it though, just due to the fact that times have changed.

When sega rally first came out on the saturn nearly a decade ago, there wasn't that many other great games out at the time so people were happy to spend hours upon hours playing a game with only two cars and 3 tracks (3 cars and 4 tracks if you count the stratos and lakeside track) .

I just can't see people today really caring anymore about it, not the old school qualities anyway. ;) i loved the sublime handling, even though it was with a dpad, if it doesn't have the handling then I think I'll give it a miss.

Not worthy a new thread, but it was apparently playable at TGS and has been rebranded Sega Rally 2006. Release in January '06 for the PS2.

Although it looks cool, it should have been a PS3 launch title imho..

why the hell did you post pics that are over 1 year old? we have seen them already (and a bunch of others, about a year ago). the game might not look like that at all now. totally pointless.

And its also a tiny shot, and teh tree's are quite far away (likewise teh jiraffes). Man, why are people here so quick to slag something off?

Because it looks fucking pants for a game that's been in development for a long long time on a console where developers have had about 74 years to squeeze the juice from?

The giraffes' heads look like they're battle droids from SW.