Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Laine

I'm really, really looking forward to this. A turn based RPG, in a modern day setting which looks rather like Persona.

It's but one of my favourite developers/publishers, Atlus so I have high hopes. Also think it looks really stylish. Can't wait!

shin-megami-tensei-nocturne-20040811084635095.jpg

shin-megami-tensei-nocturne-20040811084649626.jpg

shin-megami-tensei-nocturne-20040811084642579.jpg

shin-megami-tensei-nocturne-20040604041607865.jpg

A bit about it from IGN:

Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei series has always sat squarely outside the mainstream, quite comfortably eschewing the usual fantasy trappings of console RPGs. Rather than creating their own world entirely, they simply posit the existence of fantastic things behind the veil of the familiar, which in its own way is as effective as anything created from whole cloth. Thus, it's unfortunate that American gamers haven't gotten their hands on more of the series -- we've only seen a couple of the Persona spin-off games on the PlayStation, as well as a few odds and ends for Nintendo's portable systems.

At relatively long last, a proper sequel in the main series has been announced for PlayStation 2, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, which we'll hopefully be able to appreciate in person rather than from across the ocean. The designs of artist Kazuma Kaneko are receiving the full realtime 3D treatment this time, and he seems to be in typically fine form, with interesting designs for human characters and otherworldly demons alike.

The story begins, as is typical for the series, on a seemingly ordinary day. A high-school student takes the subway to a hospital in Shinjuku, visiting his teacher with a friend. The weird begins to encroach on the way there, as he's beset by a mysterious vision while on the train, proclaiming the imminent end of the world. This would be easy enough to shrug off, if it were not compounded by further strangeness. When he arrives at the hospital, it's completely empty, save for a strange man who repeats that same prophecy of doom. To be precise, the world is ending in order for a new one to be born, and apparently Tokyo is the epicenter of the phenomenon. Our hero is dragged through the Vortex Field into the new world, a warped mirror image of the places and people he's grown to know. Is there a way out? A way to save the existing world? And is that really worth the bother?

Apparently, the player will be given the opportunity to make the choices that determine the fate of both worlds. While exploring on both sides of the Vortex, opportunities arise to advance the development of one world or the other, to favor one or perhaps create a mix of the two. Atlus isn't entirely clear about how the mechanics of this kind of scenario design will work, but it's an idea with more than a little potential for individual puzzles and game-spanning plot arcs.

While the scenario is quite creatively designed, early screenshots show a combat system that looks fairly similar to that used in the PlayStation games -- not surprising, since the franchise has generally avoided moving beyond its turn-based roots. Shin Megami Tensei has always been more concerned with atmosphere and style than fast-paced gameplay, though, and that Nocturne appears to possess in abundant quantities. Its release is approaching fairly quickly in Japan, sometime next spring, so we look forward to learning more and passing it on to you in short order.

I'm not sure why/how, but it has Dante as a playable character...

Have to admit to being naughty and downloading this out of curiosity - turn based RPG's being my favourite genre.

Not played it much yet as I got pissed off with it for having the lengthiest start to a game ever. 40 minutes before I could save for the first time. Got annoyed and haven't really sat down to play it yet.

It does have a very nice look to it though, and I do like the modern day setting. But it seems to lose a lot of atmosphere by not having any voice acting. You really want to hear what these unique looking characters have to say, rather than read subtitles.

How does it look when it's moving?

I do agree the the pictures look a bit dodgy.

I can't wait for this though, I adore Atlus and I my turn based games, and I reckon this sounds really good.

It's out on the 28th, so not too long til I find out.

It looks nice when it's moving - but very first generation PS2 looking. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by telling you it starts off in a hospital where you are looking for someone. It all just looks a little empty - and the animation is a little stiff. In fact it reminded me of Galerians for some reason.

It did enough for me to want to carry on playing, but I am in the middle of playing Arc the Lad and want to get that out of the way first. Plus FFxi has just arrived as has Star Ocean 3. I bought those games by the way. I'm not quite long john silver yet :(

It looks nice when it's moving - but very first generation PS2 looking. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by telling you it starts off in a hospital where you are looking for someone. It all just looks a little empty - and the animation is a little stiff. In fact it reminded me of Galerians for some reason.

It did enough for me to want to carry on playing, but I am in the middle of playing Arc the Lad and want to get that out of the way first. Plus FFxi has just arrived as has Star Ocean 3. I bought those games by the way. I'm not quite long john silver yet :(

Right, thanks.

I'll be playing FF11 when I get this, must tear myself away so I can try it out!

I heard there are tons of random battles and there are no safe zones to walk around in (towns). Even in the areas where you can talk to the these blue soul things (people I think) you still run into random battles !!!!

The stupid constant random battles and crappy dungeons in persona ruined that game for me.

I do like the look of the game and the story does look intresting though.

I will wait for some opinions, but I will probably skip this one if the above is true.

Ooooh! I knew it was a bit like Persona, but I didn't realise it still had the make friends with your enemies feature:

Turn the enemy into your allies. The negotiation command in battle can have a variety of effects: sometimes the demon just plain won't understand you, and you need to have a demon of similar type around to speak its language. If you're too weak or at too low a level in comparison to the demon, it might get insulted by your offer to join forces and renew its attack with extra force. But if you're strong enough, it'll consider your offer and ask for a few things. Maybe it wants to be flattered, or its questions answered, or some money, or even a little bit of your life. If you give it what it's looking for, it'll join your party. (And if you don't, it'll just get angry.)

• 16 years later...

WISE FROM YOUR GWAVE

Mods, do move this to a wider SMT thread if appropriate and available.

I thought to post a reminder that the HD Remaster of one of the best RPGs ever is coming West soon - a new trailer just dropped;

I've read that the audio in the remaster isn't up to much and uses the same 10kHz source as the original PS2 game.  That said, with the HD Remaster also coming to PC, I'm guessing that some clever modder will patch in the uncompressed versions of the music tracks from the OST.

Yeah, there's been a bit of talk about it in the SMTV thread but it's nice to see a separate thread for it. I remember loving it back in the day but never finished it. Hopefully the portable nature of the Switch version will see me through this time. 

Just the other day I ripped my copy of this (well, Lucifer's Call) to play on PCSX2. Had started it on my actual PS2 a while ago, noted that I hadn't started it properly so proposed to start again at a later date. Good timing them. 

• 1 month later...

Really don't need this (I have US and PAL copies for the PS2), but couldn't keep away. My review: it's Nocturne in HD.

Anyone else playing it? I'm a couple of hours into it on Steam and it seems like a solid port, so far. I don't think much of the new font they've used on everything (looks like Times New Roman?), but there are some nice changes: you're no longer locked into one difficulty setting for an entire playthrough, or even session, since you can toggle this as you play*, and you have modern camera controls on the right stick. It's weird hearing famous VA like Paul Eiding in it, but it's fun. :)

A quick warning to PC players, though: download the free Chronicle DLC and start a game with "New Game: Chronicle" rather than just "New Game", or else you'll be playing the vanilla version of the game. The PAL and US PS2 releases were based on the Maniax revision, which added new plotlines and Fiends, etc. This content is included in both the Chronicle (free) and Maniax (paid) DLCs  - the only difference between them is whether you meet Raidou or Dante.

*you can even use it to avoid Hard Mode shop prices!

7 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

A quick warning to PC players, though: download the free Chronicle DLC and start a game with "New Game: Chronicle" rather than just "New Game", or else you'll be playing the vanilla version of the game. The PAL and US PS2 releases were based on the Maniax revision, which added new plotlines and Fiends, etc. This content is included in both the Chronicle (free) and Maniax (paid) DLCs  - the only difference between them is whether you meet Raidou or Dante.

Do you know how come thats pc only, is the free chronicle stuff not on consoles?

i got it on sat on ps4 and had a quick go but the super easy mode dlc (which im definitely going to need!) wasnt available yet. Hopefully get back to it tomorrow or the weekend. Never played smt before but like some persona games so wanted to give it a try.

17 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Really don't need this (I have US and PAL copies for the PS2), but couldn't keep away. My review: it's Nocturne in HD.

Anyone else playing it? I'm a couple of hours into it on Steam and it seems like a solid port, so far. I don't think much of the new font they've used on everything (looks like Times New Roman?), but there are some nice changes: you're no longer locked into one difficulty setting for an entire playthrough, or even session, since you can toggle this as you play*, and you have modern camera controls on the right stick. It's weird hearing famous VA like Paul Eiding in it, but it's fun. :)

My initial excitement was dampened quite a bit when looking at some streams of this. The new font, the voice acting and the 'reworked' script all tickle me in all the wrong ways. Seems like a coherent atmosphere and some of the nuance and subtext were thrown out of the window in favour of accessibility. Hopefully Isamu bluntly taking about 'a shitstorm coming up' wasn't foreboding and things will get better but at that point i turned off twitch in disgust. I tell myself not to get worked up about it but it'll take some time as the original is one of my all time favs. 

Please tell me it gets better/you get used to it? Is there no option to change the font to something closer resembling that of the original? Any option to play with the original text? At least you can turn the voice acting off right? 

As far as I'm aware, there's no option to play with the font or switch to the older translation, but you can definitely turn the voice volume to zero. I know what you mean about the iffy tonal changes, too - they clearly felt very strongly compelled to make everyone say "fuck", and it's full of bits of fleeting contemporary vernacular that will be toast in a few years. This stuff is all a bit "How do you do, fellow kids?", but thankfully a lot of the script isn't a million miles away from the original's.

I think the Chronicle/Maniax stuff is in place in the console versions by default, Spatular, even if you don't buy any DLC (the 'Maniax' one literally just adds Dante). It's only the PC version that can be played in its pre-Maniax form. Accidentally, too, to the disappointment of many!

I’ve seen people say it is a very shoddy port with terrible sound sampling. That alongside what has been said in here is making me want to hold off until it is cheaper.

Doesn’t feel like a definitive version by any means.

22 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

I think the Chronicle/Maniax stuff is in place in the console versions by default, Spatular, even if you don't buy any DLC (the 'Maniax' one literally just adds Dante). It's only the PC version that can be played in its pre-Maniax form. Accidentally, too, to the disappointment of many!

Good info cheers!

if anyone doesn't like the english voices you can change them to japanese if that helps.

On 27/05/2021 at 16:34, Klatrymadon said:

Oof, forgot about that. One of the first things I did was install a fan-made patch to improve the sound quality. Here's hoping it's sorted officially at some point...

Ooh good to know - where is this audio patch?

The file should be available at the google drive link just under the thread title here:

(Sorry to link to reddit!)

It's just a matter of dragging and dropping a few files, but I can't see the specific instructions at the moment. If you go to your 'local files' for the game on Steam you should quickly be able to figure out where they go. :)

Personally, I think the standard audio quality matches that of the PS2 versions and is therefore perfectly serviceable, but the patch does make the battle themes bang.

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting a JRPG for my new Switch Lite (got it with animal crossing and monster hunter rise) and was hankering after this anyway.

I own the PS2 original but have never played it (my entry to SMT was Persona 3 and then Digital Devil Saga) and thought why not?

Got it for £22 after I had some points on TheGamesCollection.net, currently about 5 hours in (I'm in the Great Underpass of Ginza) and whilst it's definitely a PS2 era JRPG and lacks some of the flair and polish that the Persona spin off franchise has come to be known for its really cool and just what I wanted.

This is pretty unforgiving isn't it!?

Got to the Matador and he promptly handed me my arse on a plate. Spent some time grinding, went in with a party all above level 18, but had forgotten to check weaknesses. Seems Angel was particularly weak to one of his moves and that kept putting me on the back foot and I wiped again. Changed Angel out for another demon with healing abilities and had a much better time of it, though everyone kept missing when attacking, got there in the end though and got invited to explore the Labyrinth of something or other, wandering around, hoping for a save point, couldnt find one (had saved at the entrance though) and have now died again.

Enjoying it though, but I've no fucking idea whats going on plot wise 

It's very much dependent on your expectations: by the standards of the genre (and particularly of its time) Nocturne is actually quite forgiving. However, compared to other (non-dungeon crawler) RPGs — particularly modern ones — it is punishing, demanding extra care and attention and some grinding (though the importance of elemental weaknesses and the like does mean you can dramatically reduce the need for grinding if you plan and fight effectively).

Definitely challenging, but ultimately fair (in a way the earlier SMT — and even Persona — games aren't).