Drum & Bass

Who here's pissed off with the huge number of programmes that are now playing the likes of DJ Shadow (Entroducing) and stuff like that? I've heard loads of stuff on the TV lately from Ninja Cuts: Funkungfusion too (Ninja Tunes) and it really pisses me off how these advertising cretins turn a blind eye to such artists when they first appear only then to cling onto them once they hit the mainstream...it's pathetic really. I remember listening to that stuff (UK Hip Hop) years ago and now there's an explosion - everywhere I turn it's being played by chavers...pisses me off let me tell thee...

Toops

any one of heard of drive by??

yup, went to a couple of nights they did at babylon in bath in 97, and another couple at the thekla the same year. was there when roni turned up unnanounced after winning the mercury prize, the place went spastic.

the other time i was there, mickey finn threw a hissy fit and left after ten minutes because the place was so jumping the needle kept skipping. which was nice.

thekla's a wicked venue.

Who here's pissed off with the huge number of programmes that are now playing the likes of DJ Shadow (Entroducing) and stuff like that? I've heard loads of stuff on the TV lately from Ninja Cuts: Funkungfusion too (Ninja Tunes) and it really pisses me off how these advertising cretins turn a blind eye to such artists when they first appear only then to cling onto them once they hit the mainstream...it's pathetic really. I remember listening to that stuff (UK Hip Hop) years ago and now there's an explosion - everywhere I turn it's being played by chavers...pisses me off let me tell thee...

Toops

I couldn't care less about whether it gets used on adverts, or whether someone else listens to it in their car.

In fact, I'd rather spend my ad breaks listening to music I like than listening to loser indie-rock.

I couldn't care less about whether it gets used on adverts, or whether someone else listens to it in their car.

In fact, I'd rather spend my ad breaks listening to music I like than listening to loser indie-rock.

I'm not with you there, Mike. I'd much rather that the artists I enjoy slip into poverty and obscurity and eventually give up and turn to alternative careers.

Frankly, the less music I can enjoy, the better. It was much more fun when I was enjoying it on my own. In my bedroom.

thekla's a wicked venue.

Certainly is dude...

Bristol is d'n'b central...Drive By, Rukus, Locus and many other nights rock on the regular. All worth checking out and they all have nice line ups.

I've been into drum 'n' bass for years, since the jungle days, or even the jungle techno days! I hardly buy any now though, but do download mixes and go to nights sometimes.

I still love the ragga jungle stuff personally ;)

i don't think i've been to a d&b night since 97 actually, thinking about it. i lost interest in all the dark and crunchy decoder/tech itch type stuff and started going to house nights instead.

what are the crowds like these days? are they not a bit rude? or is it all just full of students, being bristol and all?

And that is precisely my point - that the mainstream do not care as much as dedicated listeners (or the original avatars of such music genres) when it comes to an artist's survival. Yes, when such 'underground tunes' inevitably 'do' reach the mainstream, who will pick up the pieces once the casual stampede has run its course?

You couldn't care less, well what's new?

Toops

I'm sorry - what? I must have lost you somewhere.

Exactly what 'pieces' are there to 'pick up'?

Again, Mike, I fear that you have indeed misunderstood. Try to follow these points as carefully as possible. They really aren't that hard to understand if you follow them in sequence.

1) Mainstream success will line the pockets of your favourite artists.

2) Your favourite artists will produce more music. Which you will enjoy.

3) More people will be introduced to your favourite artists.

4) Some of these people will become dedicated fans, and remain so even after mainstream attention has dwindled away.

5) Your favourite artists will therefore have a widened base of dedicated fans.

6) Your favourite artists will be able to continue making music.

7) The labels that promote your favourite artists will have more money.

:unsure: They will be able to sign other artists that are similar to your favourite artists.

9) You will enjoy more music by more artists.

10) All of this is bad.

i don't think i've been to a d&b night since 97 actually, thinking about it. i lost interest in all the dark and crunchy decoder/tech itch type stuff and started going to house nights instead.

what are the crowds like these days? are they not a bit rude? or is it all just full of students, being bristol and all?

Obviously there are plenty of students, Bristol having two big uni's, but otherwise it depends what night you go to...each night has some dedicated followers, but you can also get that rude boy element at nights like Drive By & Rukus. They've stopped doing d'n'b nights at Lakota due to some serious trouble, which thankfully is yet to be repeated elsewhere as far as I know. Locus & Metric have got safe crowds. There's many other nights that are cool too. As I said, d'n'b central is Brizzle.

Man, went to this club last night and it's usually classic 80s on a Monday night.

Last night it was some special night (wondered why it was a crazy £7 to get in (although I managed to get away without paying, ha!)). When we got in we were subjected to the hardest of drum 'n' bass you can imagine. Together with the quickest speaking MC I've heard.

Was rather horrid, if you ask me. I mean I can see the attraction. Some of it is pretty cool but it's not something I'd listen to at home.

Man, went to this club last night and it's usually classic 80s on a Monday night.

Last night it was some special night (wondered why it was a crazy £7 to get in (although I managed to get away without paying, ha!)). When we got in we were subjected to the hardest of drum 'n' bass you can imagine. Together with the quickest speaking MC I've heard.

A lot of drum 'n' bass MC's are annoying fools.

Again, Mike, I fear that you have indeed misunderstood. Try to follow these points as carefully as possible. They really aren't that hard to understand if you follow them in sequence.

1) Mainstream success will line the pockets of your favourite artists.

2) Your favourite artists will produce more music. Which you will enjoy.

3) More people will be introduced to your favourite artists.

4) Some of these people will become dedicated fans, and remain so even after mainstream attention has dwindled away.

5) Your favourite artists will therefore have a widened base of dedicated fans.

6) Your favourite artists will be able to continue making music.

7) The labels that promote your favourite artists will have more money.

;) They will be able to sign other artists that are similar to your favourite artists.

9) You will enjoy more music by more artists.

10) All of this is bad.

Whilst I can relate to several of your points here, it strikes me as kind of elitist in the extreme.

Another alternative would be that, yes, though your favourite artist will become more popular thanks to mainstream attention, the quality of their work will inevitably start to dwindle. Following on from this, once the mainstream get sick of the product they will then abandon it/jump ship in favour of other music genres with which to sink their dirty teeth into.

Though what may result is the artist having no market to sell to at all: their original fans may well have been upset by the very fact that they turned their backs on them to pursue greater market success and thus stopping their support, just as the mainsteam will do likewise. It's effectively the end of them...look at the Prodigy.

So I am not really condemning the casual market on the basis that the music is more widely available, but on the basis that the quality of that artist's music will diminish as a direct result of having been tarnished by the mainstream attention.

I do however understand your point of view.

Toops

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving High Contrast's new album at the moment. Not normally a d'n'b fan, but this is great.

I also loved the nice cover CD on Knowledge mag a couple months back by Muffler. That is seriously nasty sounding, it's ace. I really wouldn't normally class myself as a d'n'b nut, but this CD mix opened my eyes... wide.

muffler.jpg

Another alternative would be that, yes, though your favourite artist will become more popular thanks to mainstream attention, the quality of their work will inevitably start to dwindle.

Why does one inevitably lead to the other? IT MAKES NO SENSE.

my two cents on the original topic:-

still listening - still love it...but man are they making it hard to like at the moment. Latest mix cd's are really dredging the barrel but there's been a lot of great stuff over the last couple of years.

Good place to start is getting in on the mix archives over at dnbarena (breakbeat.co.uk) and check out the live archives with 2003 Andy C nightlife launch party being a particular fave.

For me, this year, D-Bridge is god. One part of BadCompany and his sound right now is exactly what i like - deep, dark, melodic and brilliantly produced. Check Bellini and his studio mix on dnbarena for exactly what i'm talking about. excellent.

Yeah been well into DnB for quite some time now..

Went to see Dillinja, Lemon D, Andy C & Zinc at Leeds uni not so long back on the VALVE sound system :D

I'll tell you one thing i'm glad that i took ear plugs!

i've been thinking of getting High Contrast's new album is it worth buying?

Cheers.