Green Day - American Idiot

Well, I finally managed to Yarrr a copy of the new Green Day album and I'm quite impressed with it. It has been getting good reviews but I didnt much fancy what had been described as "Rock Opera". It is quite a change from the normal Green Day style, with the two minute punk pop songs gone in favour of longer, more 'mature(for want of a better word)' songs about politics and teh state of the US nation. Are they jumping on the bandwagon? Maybe, but what did you expect them to do now that there are roughy 463,000 copycat bands out there? Punk Rock Evolved. Some bits dont work too well but when it works is really fucking works. Maybe should have been a bit shorter but still a great album.

Thoughts?

I've not heard a bad Green Day album yet. They might not be 'clever' or 'sophisticated', but they're punk so they don't need to be. They're 'our' Ramones, and (2000) lightyears away from the cuntishness of Blink 182, Good Charlotte, The Offspring and all that other American rubbish.

However, I am a bit of a music snob myself, these days, and it was difficult for me to feel the urge to put this new album in my current CD collection. But now I've heard it and have decided it's all good, I think I'll buy it when it comes down to about £6-7, and hide it with my other recent embarrassing, 'immature' CD purchases, like Velvet Revolver and Hope of the States.

Run down on all their albums & their stand out songs (imo)

1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

stand out songs: At The Library/Going To Pasalacqua/Paper Lanterns/Knowledge/Rest (sounds dreary at first, but when you're stoned or you've had a rough day at work it sounds so fucking cool)

Kerplunk!

stand out songs: 2,000 Light Years Away / Welcome To Paradise / Who Wrote Holden Caufield?

Dookie

stand out songs: ALL OF THEM!! But to be brutally honest - Basket Case/When I Come Around/She/Longview/F.O.D/Welcome To Paradise

Insomniac (got slammed I think because it sounded repetitive, but it is still one of my favoruite Green Day albums)

stand out songs:Again, as it is one of my top Green day albums ALL OF THEM!! Best my best picks - Armatage Shanks/Brat/Geek Stink Breath/Bab's Uvala Who?/86/Panic Song/Brain Stew/Jaded

Nimrod

stand out songs: Hitchin' A Ride/Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)/Grouch/Platypus (I Hate You)/Prostethic Head

Warning

stand out songs:Blood, Sex & Booze/Jackass/Waiting/Warning/Minority/Macy's Day Parade (also as an added pick the live version of 86 from Prague sounds even better than the original studio version of 86 on Insomniac)

International Superhits are their singles plus two new songs they added on (Maria & Poprocks & Coke) while Shenanigans are some B-sides, covers and some other 'shenanigans' as they say on the sticker I had on my album cover.

American Idiot - I have waited 3 years for some new material first thing tomorrow morning I'm buying it and listening to it non-stop during my break & lunch now all together now....... #WELCOME TO A NEW KIND OF TENSION! ALL ACROSS THE ALIENATION! EVERYTHING IS NOT MEANT TO BE OOOOO-KKKKKAAAAAYYY!!!!#

However, I am a bit of a music snob myself, these days, and it was difficult for me to feel the urge to put this new album in my current CD collection. But now I've heard it and have decided it's all good, I think I'll buy it when it comes down to about £6-7, and hide it with my other recent embarrassing, 'immature' CD purchases, like Velvet Revolver and Hope of the States.

Ha ha. That actually made me smile.

For me, internet shopping has removed any stigma from buying records that could be considered immature or embarrasing. It's also great for buying up complete back catalogues of brilliant artists that you've only just discovered, so you don't have to justify your purchases with "Oh, my other copy is worn out" comments to the guy in the record shop.

American Idiot is winging it's way to me as we speak. I'm actually looking forward to it. It's got to be better than Warning, hasn't it?

Actually, I didn't like One For the Razorbacks that much because I felt it could have been a lot louder, but when I got the updated version of 1,039 Smooth...... they had a sound clip of an acoustice version of One for the Razorbacks & Words I Might of Ate. For some reason some songs sound better when they are just strummed on a normal guitar or at any live venue. LOVE IT!

Uptight & Rejct from Nimrod I've forgotten. Both are great album tracks!!

Lunch in 20 minutes then shoot off to record shop and blast on American Idiot in the office. Cannae Wait!

The single is at number 3! How did that happen?

It is rather surprising isn't it! I've seen them plugged on the last couple of editions of Top of the Pops, which would certainly help, plus a bit of good planning on their record label's behalf to get it released in a week which was rather fallow in terms of big new releases - bar Eric Prydz (never heard of him before) and Girls Aloud who went in at numbers one and two repsectively, the next few new entries were Joss Stone at 9, and - crikey - Status Quo at 14.

I always found Nimrod to be a bit dull, Insomniac is where its at imo.

Insomniac is just so dark and gritty, it's my favourite. But, Warning shows their musical talent coz there's less thrashing of guitars and more tuneful stuff.

American Idiot is somewhere between Dookie and Warning and it doesn't work for me. It's by far their weakest album IMHO. The first track is good but the rest are just foot tappers until it livens up a bit towards the end.

Disappointing to say the least.

I liked it on the first listen through and will be interested to see how it stacks up after repeated playing. Bit tamer than what I would have thought, but had some good aggressive moments. I',ll need to play this much louder next time and see how it goes.

I',ve listen to nothing else BUT American Idiot for the past 4 days and my stand out tunes:

American Idiot (by a Looooooooooong way!,)

Jesus of Suburbia (9-min epicthon, wonderful!,)

Holiday (fantastic melody and great ',fuck bush', song)

Letterbomb (this one grew on me and I like it)

8 outta 10 for me. Not their best album, but definitely their finest since doing Nimrod. They',ve moved on, grown up and are still flipping the finger at the Republicans!,

Well done Green Day!,!,

This album is a fine fine purchase!,

It',s definitely growing on me, I',ll admit that.

My favourite songs are

American Idiot

Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

ST. Jimmy

She',s A Rebel

Letterbomb

Tracks 2 and 12 annoy me coz there',s some great tunes in there, but they',re just getting going before it',s on to the next one.

So that',s 5 great songs out of a possible 13. Must try harder :)

It',s definitely growing on me, I',ll admit that.

My favourite songs are

American Idiot

Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

ST. Jimmy

She',s A Rebel

Letterbomb

Tracks 2 and 12 annoy me coz there',s some great tunes in there, but they',re just getting going before it',s on to the next one.

So that',s 5 great songs out of a possible 13. Must try harder :)

St Jimmy is great isn',t it!,?

• 2 weeks later...
Indeed!, And the first line of Letterbomb defines the reason I like Green Day.

",Where have all the bastards gone?!,",

The thing is, this and Nimrod are the only albums where I',ve actually disliked their songs.

One of them even has weird bongos at the start. WTF?!,

yeah the latter part of the album was poor i though. Really didn't like that 'No body likes you everyone loves you' and the bongos pissed me off to!