What Are Mogwai All About Then?

Hello Goaty ♥

mention sigur ros and/or mum in this forum and I guarantee you people will start cummin',.

tend to be adored to the point destruction from the kids who',ve just upgraded from radiohead

but for what it',s worth, mogwai are probably one of the best post rock bands around. even their latest offering was quite fresh, but it',s impossible to say that about post-rock as a whole.

No. I think the vast majority of Rock Action, for example, is pretty worthy stuff. I haven',t heard Happy Songs..., but on that album they seemed to be moving away from the usual clichéd formula(e) of post rock onto something different. Well, it',s got singing on a few of the tracks anyway, but even the purely instrumental tracks like Sine Wave seem to be a progression of their sound.

It',s dire rubbish that all the worst type of Radiohead fans listen to.

Hmm. The second time Radiohead has been mentioned in this thread.

I fucking love Mogwai (I first saw them live back in 1997) but Radiohead have been so bad since &quot,The Bends&quot, that it makes me want to hit people.

only people called tarquin or jemina listen to that type-a shit, elitist crap at its very worst.

Or indeed Edward... why is it elitist? Do you have to provide some kind of cedentials when you buy a CD? Is it that they don',t use generic song structure in every track? Is My Bloody Velentine elitist? Were the Velvet Underground? Just because they don',t use the template of the month they',re elitest?!,

They',re a band who take risks, experiment and are obviously huge music fans who are trying something different rather than the average and generally mediocre two album bands that seem to be everywhere. Not knocking those bands either by the way, sometimes the arty stuff has to give away to simple pop songs with attitude. BUT HEY, thats my two cents.

Well I',ve already gone into this thread with Tortoise and the other post-rock culprits being mentioned. Slint did it all, why even bother eh?:blink: It',s a poor attitude to be sure and one post-rock seems to suffer from more than many others, possibly because of the nature of the music.

Judge them on their own merits however and they are a band with one excellent debut, a poor follow up, a consistent third album and a shitty and badly produced fourth. As for being liked by the worst type of Radiohead fans, do you have a record collection or do you just like to espouse generalised opinions on music?

Now the drunken haze has lifted I can clarify :D. I don',t really see the need to make a generalisation about who listens to the music, it just seems a bit NME-ish.

My initial post was tongue in cheek. And I was probably drunk at the time.

Oh and I write for NME.

I'm a big fan of post rock, here are my fav bands in order:

Godspeed You Black Emporer (amazing!)

Explosions in the sky (a bit more rocky than orchestral)

Sigur Ros

and the other bands tend to be too boring, mogwai espically so. they are very over-rated I feel. Post-rock is great though, and yes I am a radiohead fan.