IGNORED

Metroid

ryodi

I'm a bit late to the Metroid party but after playing both Fusion and Zero Mission on the GBA is has become one of my favourite franchises. It has the perfect control of the character that reminds me of the 2D Mario games, weaponry that makes defeating enemies a lot more fun than jumping on their head and with some frustratingly hard bosses (in Fusion at least) thrown into the mix together with an always excellent soundtrack, although for some reason MZM sometimes reminds of the Dr Who theme, it comes off one of the best gaming packages around.

And this is not just an addiction to 2D side scrollers. I've got the Castlevania GBA games and they are just not as good, much too slow and missing that 'wow' factor that the Metroid games have.

But the jump into 3D has left me behind and no more 2D titles look forthcoming with the previews of Echoes and Metroid DS that are around. I just can't get into Prime, perhaps because it killed my original GC or because I just prefer it on a 2D plane, but it has been sat in my collection for over a year after I bought it for £30 the week before it came out on platinumm, but I can't see myself selling it just because it is Metroid and I hope the next time I try to play it I will get into it. So here I am, a convert to the 2D Metroid cause just as it dies with the arrival of the new portable hardware. Great. :(

Heres hoping Nintendo do one last cash in and release Super Metroid and Metroid II for the GBA but it doesn't look likely.

Got into Metroid after playing the first two GBA Castlevanias, when Spacey found Metroid II. Reasonable enough. Then I took a bus trip all the way into Princes Street from my halls on the Friday that Metroid Fusion came out.

Blew me away. The controls, the level design, the boss difficulty... everything just seemed perfect. It was all I played for a week or so. I'd have it sitting next to the cooker when I was making chilli, and I'd have two-minute blasts before I quickly put it down to stir the stuff. Simply aces. Convinced me to get a GC in the hope that Prime would be as good.

As it happens, it wasn't. But it still rocked the house.

Zero Mission was similarly impressive when I got it. Played it to completion all day (first time I've done that in a game for ages) because I simply loved it so much.

I hope against hope that Nintendo use the power of the DS or their next handheld to produce a 2D Metroid with ludicriously amazing graphics.

I'l never understand the grief Prime gets, i think its almost perfect. The atmosphere, insanely good graphics, perfect sound, feeling of discovery..the water level...it's stunning.

Why it leaves some people cold is a mystery to me. But i must agree Zero Mission is a legend. Fusion will be played as soon as i finish Zelda 3.

I'm not slating Prime, it just never grabbed me. The GBA is my most played console and I just prefer 2D to 3D for these types of games. The Castlevanias are just not the same because I find they lack the same kind of focused design and great music that the Metroid games have.

I'l never understand the grief Prime gets, i think its almost perfect. The atmosphere, insanely good graphics, perfect sound, feeling of discovery..the water level...it's stunning.

Stunning for different reasons, though. You never get that Nightmare feeling fighting Ridley, for example, or that SA-X feeling fleeing the station at the start.

I love them all, especially Prime. How long have you played it for, out of interest? It does start off kind of slow, but when you get further into it it's bloody fantastic. Obviously it's different in that it's played from a first-person perspective in a 3D environment, but fundametally it's actually very similar to the originals. It has the same addictive gameplay and expert level design that can keep you playing for hours at a time :(

Funnily enough, I bought Zero Mission earlier on and I've played through it all of it in one day- amazing stuff. As for Fusion, I didn't really like the story aspects (for some reason it made the game feel very linear) and it was a little difficult in places (the enemies seemed to do a lot more damage than in M/M2/SM, but I suppose this just forces you to play well all of the time), it's still a great game though.

And I do agree that the GBA Castlevanias are pretty unremarkable, although they are very playable. They're certainly not in the same league as SOTN or any of the Metroid games. Speaking of which, if you haven't played SOTN you really should.

Stunning for different reasons, though. You never get that Nightmare feeling fighting Ridley, for example, or that SA-X feeling fleeing the station at the start.

I'v never met Nightmare Alex so i cant really comment..i just know Ridley and Metroid Prime are bitches on Hard (never understand people who find Prime too hard aswell...the 2 last bosses are pure walkovers on normal). Hard Ridley is an epic cat and mouse fight.

Just finished Super Metroid again for the 1st time in 10 years and i'd like a GBA remake but using the GBA engines...the Snes Metroid engine is far too floaty jump-wise, and the graphics seem very limited by memory. Still top stuff though.

Have to say I'm of exactly the same opinion....I've played a few hours of Prime...enjoyed it enough but not a patch on Fusion or Super.

Maybe I just can't think properly in first person mode and as a result the exploration joy of the earlier metroids is lost for me. I keep meaning to give Prime another go....and no doubt I'll get the sequel but it will never be quite the same.

As for teh Castlevania connecion - Aria of Sorrow is very good, although the difficulty curve is miles off (too easy for 3/4 of the game and then a run of nightmare bosses) to put it in the same league.

Dunno if I see the link with the Mega Man games...the appeal of Metroid is the exploration aspect...the Mega Man games great as they are, are very linear experiences.

I'm quite a late convert too but I love prime, it was the first one I played. My flatmate had played super and kept going wow at how the stuff was the same but different in 3D. I played super eventually and agreed with him, it's such a brilliantly done 2D-3D transition and even has the 2Dish morph ball bits as well.

Fusion was the first thing I bought for my GBA and I loved that too though it can seem a bit linear in retrospect. Same can go for Zero Mission but not quite as much. Thing is Prime tells you what to do quite a lot but I think it needs to in 3D as it gets so complicated. It's also slightly annoying but also useful that it reminds you of your current objective every time you re-load (not when you're doing the omega pirate for the I don't know how manyth sodding time!).

I've tried to play the original Metroid and got furthest after playing through ZM due to familiarity but I don't think I'll ever make it all the way through. I watched a speed run of it the other day and as I hadn't even reached kraid I just thought "I'm never going to be able to kill that". I also got Metroid 2 for the gameboy and I can kinda see myself finishing that but have just never got round to it.

Makes me realise how often stuff gets repeated in nintendo games though, which is sometimes cool but I wonder whether it starts to annoy anyone. Probably good that in Prime, you don't start off, go down an elevator into a blue area, jump over a wall and get the morph ball :( But hey, if they do make a film of it they'd have to have that in, hehe.

I'm stuck at Kraid in Metroid myself (rarely played the Prime bonus version, but play the Zero Mission bonus quite often). It's just too hard to get into the level, and when you die, you have to faff about trying to get more energy. :D

Yup it is a pain. You can use emulators and then save states with full health but I feel really bad doing that :( Also, did everyone know that the spiderball comes from Metroid 2? I thought it was something that was made up for prime so I was quite surprised to see it in 2.

I played II first, so I wasn't surprised.

Surprised about the rails, mind. That felt cheap. I get the spider-ball and think "woo, what super-cool areas can I explore with this?" and find myself taking a linear rail trip to a new area. Improved later on, like. Still nothing like Fusion's elegant shinespark puzzles in Prime though.

I played Super Metroid the first time round and again on emulator (not to completion) and it was a great experience. But as far as I'm concerned, Prime is on another level all together. Astounding for reasons above gameplay and design, that kind of transcendental experience you only get from games of that calibre.

Am I going over the top? Because I think I can go further.

I think Metroid series are greatest for gaming as it is my favourite and when I go to USA I will keep my eye open for SNES and Super Metroid and Metroid II.

I am looking forward to Metroid Prime 2 more than Halo 2.

I am at final boss battle for Metroid Prime and done small part of Metroid Fuision and haven't started Metroid Zero Mission.

I'm stuck at Kraid in Metroid myself (rarely played the Prime bonus version, but play the Zero Mission bonus quite often). It's just too hard to get into the level, and when you die, you have to faff about trying to get more energy. :blink:

.::: Ironically it's easier to dispose of Ridley, before heading down to Kraid.

Ridley has an insanely easy attack pattern, while Kraid's is a nervewrecking perfect-jump-sequence one.

Just head down for Ridley first, you'll also appreciate the 75 extra missiles it garners you.

Prime is an odd game. Prime was my first metroid game.

At first, i hated the game. I absolutly fucking hated it with every atom of passion in my body.

However, i kept on at it. And after I had gotten used to the control scheme (which is fucking ace, dont let anyone tell you otherwise, this is not a fps, and therefore does not require a fps control scheme), and got past the bit i was stuck at, I fucking loved it. I loved every minute of it. Infact, its one of the most awe-inspiring, beautiful and damn right best games I have ever played.

So all those who cant get into prime, persevere.

Yes, Super Metroid is great.

But, for what it's worth, I enjoyed Prime more than any other Metroid game, and I too am looking forward to Prime 2 more than Halo 2 (with which it isn't really comparable, if we're honest). I can't bloody wait.

From the minute I enterted the space station in Prime and saw the almost absurd degree of design work on display, I knew it was going to be special. Prime is a game that's had a lot of attention to detail invested in it, and the occasional bastard boss aside, it's some of the most enjoyable gaming I've had this generation.

• 4 months later...

Hey, I'm playing Super Metroid right now and yeah, it is ace. I've been on something of a Metroid feast of late, having bought Zero Mission and gone back and finished Fusion (after giving up a year ago after only getting to the second area). Prime was the first one I played so like some of the others, I'm somewhat late to the party but even though each game is largely the same (get the morph ball, get the missiles, get the fill-in-the-blank protective suit), it doesn't bother me at all the way it does with just about every other series out there. There's just something about the atmosphere and story that does it for me.

Starting Super Metroid the other night, I made my way down a deep chasm and entered a room that looked vaguely familiar. Once I realised I recognised it from Zero Mission, that it was the Mother Brain's chamber, I couldn't help but smile. Same for when you saw the SA-X fighting the metroids near the end of Fusion, it's all in the little touches...

Okay, I've probably enthused enough but one question before I go: in the original game, was the battle with the Mother Brain and subsequent escape the final section or did it also have the 'sneak your way around the Space Pirate ship' bit afterwards too?

Oh, and regarding the end of Zero Mission:

Click For Spoiler
The crayon-like drawing of Samus and the Chozo on the mural is one of the loveliest things in a game ever. I want it as a poster.

Okay, I've probably enthused enough but one question before I go: in the original game, was the battle with the Mother Brain and subsequent escape the final section or did it also have the 'sneak your way around the Space Pirate ship' bit afterwards too?

I'm pretty sure the escape after mother brain was the end of Metroid, I've read a fair few descriptions of the end and seen screenshots but not actually done it for myself. Plus I remember everyone saying that the sneaking was a bit of a twist. There is a way you can get to play as Samus out of her suit in Metroid though, seen shots of that as well. She seemed to go blonde after the first one ;)

Nice to see you using the search function too, this is a fairly old thread you've pulled up. I looked at it since it was marked as something I'd posted in and went "huh?"

I still have to finish Metroid Prime. That Omega Pirate bitch is just too darn hard.

I'm saved just before it right now. On hard mode. It's gonna be a bitch.

It's gotta be the worst boss in the game:

Boss can heal itself - Check

Annoying pools of crap that are really easy to step in - Check

How about we throw in some extra enemies at the only point you can really hit the boss - Checkfuckingmate