IGNORED

Videogame Uni Courses/degrees

Jaysus

I have done Computer Games Programming at Teesside. And failed it.

Was it due to the uni? Probably not, but it didn't help particularly. The fail rate here is very, very, very high. Videogame programming is fucking hard, and I'll quite happily admit I'm not built for it.

I'm now in my final year of Computer Studies which I will complete and leave with a degree with no honours.

My point certainly isn't that Teesside is shit (it's disorganised, and middlesbrough is the seventh circle of hell - but some of the lecturers are great) or that people shouldn't do games programming - plenty of people here get through every year and seem to go on and do well.

But lots fail. I'm one of them.

If you are sure you want to do it, and sure you can do it you'll be fine here - no question. If you're sure you want to do it, and not sure you can do it you ought to read something like the OpenGL red book and see what you think. If you get bored and lose interest do something that gets you a good degree - like Geography.

If you read the Red Book, struggle but get through to the end and understand it you'll probably pass with a 2:2 or higher, almost guranteed.

For the record, I'm sure I would have failed at Abertay too.

So take all the above as a warning, but don't let it put you off <_<

how far did you get? i think its a shame if people dont get past the second year of the course (which for me, was by far the hardest), because the final year is very rewarding, and made easier by the lessons learnt in the second year.

but yes, there is certainly a high drop out rate - only a handful of people finished the same year as me (although i guess a few would have been on industry placements).

i finished in 2003 - i would imagine the course is even harder now, because when i was doing it, stuff was getting moved from the 3rd year into the second year, in order to squeeze more stuff into the final year!

how far did you get? i think its a shame if people dont get past the second year of the course (which for me, was by far the hardest), because the final year is very rewarding, and made easier by the lessons learnt in the second year.

but yes, there is certainly a high drop out rate - only a handful of people finished the same year as me (although i guess a few would have been on industry placements).

i finished in 2003 - i would imagine the course is even harder now, because when i was doing it, stuff was getting moved from the 3rd year into the second year, in order to squeeze more stuff into the final year!

Did the second year twice, failed both times.

Now in third year of Computer Studies.

So if you fail twice they let you through anyway?

Yup.

But I only get a degree, no honours.

One module = 12 credits, I've progressed with a 60 credit deficit. Which is enough for a degree, but nothing more. If I fail any modules this year I go away with nothing too.