Another Sunday Times Review Cock Up

pancho

Sunday Times today - Four reviews. Main review, centre-page is the new Myst game for Mac/ PC - review is featured in a box out stuffed with nothing other than Fable's artwork and screenshots.

To compound the issue the Fable review has a tiny accompanying Myst screenshot that perfectly augments the confusion caused by Daniel Emery's 'eat alphabet soup and crap a review' school of critique*...

Other than that, Steven Poole's treatment of Myst (the text) was excellent.

In all seriousness though- this is a national weekend newspaper- surely the editor or whoever checks the page proofs could have taken the time to note that the screens and art didn't match up with the review- It's not like this is a daily....

*Perhaps a little harsh- just sore from his outrageously under researched/ played treatment of Outrun 2 last week- Note- there is a difference between criticising a review because it is different to your opinion and criticising a review because it is woefully inadequate, inarticulate and, worst, inaccurate.

Erm... What exactly is so wrong about the OutRun 2 review in The Times? In which way or form is it inadequate and/or inaccurate?

You get the impression that Outrun 2 would be more at home in a coin-op than on a console. With its limited gameplay, a small number of licensed cars and repetitive soundtrack, it won’t keep you hooked for hours. Given the recent glut of ultra-realistic driving games, a simple arcade-racer such as this should be a breath of fresh air. However, there is a fine line between simple and dumbed-down, and Outrun strays into the latter. When you are not trying to beat the clock, you’re aiming to impress the girlfriend, who comes out with such handy hints as "Overtake" and "Let’s drift". It’s all rather shallow. That’s not to say the game doesn’t look good — the vehicles are highly polished and the landscape is varied — but for £40 you expect a little more variety and absorption. One star
need we comment any further?

Erm... What exactly is so wrong about the OutRun 2 review in The Times? In which way or form is it inadequate and/or inaccurate?

Inaccurate= See above for SHOCKING coin-op blunder

Inadequate= No mention of the game's numerous other game modes. Before you mention the restrictive word count he could have lost the "When you are not trying to beat the clock, you’re aiming to impress the girlfriend, who comes out with such handy hints as "Overtake" and "Let’s drift"" and in its useless space sapping place included some actual inormation about the game. Anyone used to squeezing illuminating critique into tiny wordcounts will spot the lazy fluff in place of meaningful meat.

Surely anyone who even bothered to look in a press release would know that?!

Hmm... I can see you point, but given the limited nature of space of the newspaper medium, it's not implausible to think that some (or all) parts of the review were changed or modified (perhaps not even by the reviewer himself) slightly so that the text would fit.

Perhaps it's just me, but I am almost always inclined to give the writer the benefit of the doubt....

Inadequate= No mention of the game's numerous other game modes. Before you mention the restrictive word count he could have lost the "When you are not trying to beat the clock, you’re aiming to impress the girlfriend, who comes out with such handy hints as "Overtake" and "Let’s drift"" and in its useless space sapping place included some actual inormation about the game. Anyone used to squeezing illuminating critique into tiny wordcounts will spot the lazy fluff in place of meaningful meat.

Expanding on my post above, the writer is giving examples of what he believes is a general "dumbed-down" simplicity which permeates the entire game. If you happen to disagree, that is fine; but it doesn't make the writer's opinion inaccurate or wrong. In such a small space the review cannot go into specifics about the several modes and other information about the game --it can only display the opinion of the person writing the review. With that in mind, I still don't see anything wrong with the piece.

Hmm... I can see you point, but given the limited nature of space of the newspaper medium, it's not implausible to think that some (or all) parts of the review were changed or modified (perhaps not even by the reviewer himself) slightly so that the text would fit.

Perhaps it's just me, but I am almost always inclined to give the writer the benefit of the doubt....

are you Daniel Emery? :) the very same paper runs reviews by Steven Poole. now, opinion and factual innacuracies aside, Emery's reviews are just poorly written. i don't see how sub-editing could make that happen.

edit. poor in comparison to Poole's, i mean.

I'm not going to get into an argument- If you think that review is fine then that's your business. If you think that the text is making a coherent effort to arge that the game has been dumbed down then that's fine by me. You have very low standards though- This is the Sunday Times so I expect a certain level of ability in their writers.

Anyway- this was all dealt with by another thread.

It doesn't change the fact that whoever proofed the pages made a glaring error.

I feel like a crusader against the paper now which wasn't the point so I'm going to duck out now. I just wanted to point out the huge mistake- You can't help but feel such an error of mixmatched images and text would NEVER have happened in the film review section.

... You have very low standards though- This is the Sunday Times so I expect a certain level of ability in their writers.

I might not be Daniel Emery, but even I am slightly insulted by this comment.

It doesn't change the fact that whoever proofed the pages made a glaring error. I just wanted to point out the huge mistake- You can't help but feel such an error of mismatched images and text would NEVER have happened in the film review section.

... But I have to concur with the fact that more care and attention (not to mention percentage of the budget) is given to the film and music sections of the newspaper. But surely that's not surprising, is it? The Times is certainly not the exception in this case; events like these are just a symptom (if you could call it that) about the perceived notions of society in general towards videogames. Opinions about reviews aside, I support your arguments concerning the fact that videogames need to be taken more seriously; but I am also aware that changes do not happen overnight.