Retro Gaming And The Winter

pancho

I don't know about you but as its gets colder, the days get longer and the rain turns to sleet I start to hunger for retro games in a way I didn't during the summer. Its something I've found happening for a few years now and apparantly I'm not alone.

I recall Lee from videogameimports.com saying that the retro market becomes a lot more healthy around this time of year and generally ebay prices start to steadily rise again.

So why is that?

Is retrogaming an undiscovered cure for seasonal affective disorder?

People spend more time inside when it's colder therefore they spend more on inside pursuits.

Same for everything really.

Maybe we all feel more nostalga for tea and crumpets by the fire, waiting for a tape to load up or plugging a cart into the megadrive, the new series of gamesmaster on in 15 minutes.

xmas is soon.. mumm, small boys in he park, jumpers for goal posts..

Nearly all markets see a rise in demand in Winter (Except Sun Beds), look at the Xmas release list of games, and the Summer release list, companies deliberatly organise Xmas releases to take advantage of the boom.

I completely understand this "Retro Fever", sent my Xbox to Yod@ today to get some freak on!!

<_<

Yeah- I understand the upturn in the market thing at Christams but I think there's more to it in terms of actually *wanting* to play retro games in the winter. I guess 213 gets closest to it- childhood stuff probably...

As a collector I do tend to buy in the summer and sell in winter as the prices do go up lots. Maybe I'm strange but I play more retro stuff in the summer as there are very little new releases worth playing.

I can understand the winter thing but I've allready got too many new games to play so why would Iwant more retro stuff?

It is true, from a players perspective I play games all the time in the winter and have already built up my perosnal collection of what I want to play/complete etc and you do find demand as a seller goes up in the winter too, as there aren't the social events outside like in the summer i.e BBQ's, pub gardens, days out in the sun, holidays etc.

I would rather be indoors, snug with my games and a beer!!! :D

Brain teaser

I'm playing Shenmue a game nearly four years old for the first time at the moment and have the sequel on hand for when I finish the first adventure.

Is this classed as retro?

I'm enjoying the snow falling and the slow exploration of the gaming world.

Brain teaser

I'm playing Shenmue a game nearly four years old for the first time at the moment and have the sequel on hand for when I finish the first adventure.

Is this classed as retro?

I'm enjoying the snow falling and the slow exploration of the gaming world.

I wouldn't say so myself, I class retro as anything up to 16Bit.

I recall Lee from videogameimports.com saying that the retro market becomes a lot more healthy around this time of year and generally ebay prices start to steadily rise again.

Ah crap, bad time to be looking for stuff for the Saturn then? Do european eBay auctions tend to get less attention than UK ones? I've just noticed there are some cool things there fairly cheap at the moment, which wouldn't appear unless you specified other locations.

I guess I fall into this kinda behaviour too, been playing modern stuff all summer and then just a couple of weeks ago decided to get a Saturn to check out stuff I'd never played. Also my last current console game was Gradius V, which is kinda on a retro tip.

I'm playing through FFVII again, is that classed as a retro title?. I presume it would be, sad really, as well as Mario Kart on the SNES. As mentioned, when the weather gets cold people stay inside more. Nothing like playing SWOS with a cup of tea at hand, oh, also playing SWOS, love the game.

The autumn through to Christmas is always retro time for me. Has been for years. I spend more on retro stuff and play more retro games (including the annual "Speccy Tour" Spectrum games contest).

Modern gaming mags just don't cut the mustard like the oldies did either. Whatever happened to the big, bumper, Christmas Special issues packed with extra reviews and massive tips sections. Things like these:

26_dec_83.jpg

crashxmas.jpg

09_jan_86.jpg

<sigh...>

Fishy

I get the same feeling too, just recently as the weather has been on a decline i have an urge to play sonic 1 on the megadrive and i have no idea why.

The only thing i can put this down to is the fact our thoughts turn towards christmas time, and as kids (well for me anyway) christmas was a time when i got a couple of new games, or a new games machine, and incidentally, probably 10 years ago, a megadrive, megagames (columns,world cup italia 90 and super hang on) and sonic 1

and i dont care how much better new games are nowadays (and they are, lets face it) ill never have the same feeling af awe than completing Sonic 1 over and over again with my brother for 2 weeks solid, (with the odd game of italia 90 thrown in to break it up a bit :( )

ill never have the same feeling af awe than completing Sonic 1 over and over again with my brother for 2 weeks solid, (with the odd game of italia 90 thrown in to break it up a bit :( )

Same for me. We couldn't afford many new games for my Mega Drive and so I'd get maybe 2 at Christmas, one for my Birthday and the odd one during the year.

I must have played Sonic 1 more than any other game. Again and again I would complete it. Such a good game. B)