Rllmuk Live Music Review Diary

Mk.

Trivium @ The London Astoria 18/09/05

Another bunch of kudos for Trivium. Unexpectedly got to see them tonight at the Astoria due to a friend offering me a spare ticket at the last minute, as his brother couldn't go. :angry:

Anyway, totally bloody awesome. Metal at its best. I couldn't really see that much, damn being so short ;) Everyone went spacko to Like Light To The Flies. One of my favourites of the evening was A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation.

They're touring again in March, and will definitely be going to see them then. Tonight certainly made up for a couple of other gigs I'm missing. Times a million, in fact.

Check them out, they're shit hot, and arguably the best thing that's happened to metal for a long while.

Mudhoney, Camden Koko, Saturday 17th September

sbigmuff.jpg

Oh me! Oh my! Mudhoney return to our shores to do two nights at Camden Koko on the Don't Look Back series organised by Uncut magazine. The subject of Mudhoney's efforts toward the tour being their seminal 'Superfuzz Bigmuff' (akin to what my ears are hearing now, some two days since the saturday night gig).

As a band that don't come to the UK frequently, you can rest assured that any Mud gig is going to draw the freshly aged away from their Horlicks, out of their carpet slippers, and into the warm night air to reaquaint themselves with the real heroes of the grunge era. With the crowd comprising of mostly 30somethings, a handful of the younger generation spotted around the Koko dance floor, Mud arrived on stage and proceeded to blast through Superfuzz Bigmuff sounding as tight and as fresh as I've heard a live band. If I'm honest, set 1 was all a bit of a aural blur of dirty chords, feedback, pounding drums and Marks wailing. From the opening chords of Touch Me I'm Sick, I was sucked into the pit, only being allowed a breather as the closing bars of Hate the Police faded with Mark sounding a cheery "see you for set 2" as he wandered off stage swigging back a beer...so enthralling it seemed like 2 minutes from opener to closer. An outstanding first hour of excertainment (hybrid - enforced pit exercise/musical entertainment). Maybe only for the hardcore Mud fans; certainly, I've waited a long time to hear all of these songs back to back, Superfuzz Bigmuff being a coming of age album for the 14 year old me in 1988...every single track holding a vibrant memory of my teens.

Set - part 1:

Touch Me I'm Sick

Sweet Young Thing

Need

Chain that Door

In 'N' Out of Grace

If I Think

No One Has

Mudride

Burn it Clean

You Got it

Halloween (w/I Wanna Be Your Dog)

Hate the Police

Hot, wet and exhausted the audience seemed appreciative of a 15 minute bar and toilet break, I certainly was, before Mud came back out to rapturous applause to play a handful of non-seminal-album tracks. Which is where the night went a little downhill. With the exception of the energetic opener Into The Drink, nothing they delivered had the impact of the previous album tracks...if such a tour were to occur again, maybe better to delay the album tracks till the end of the gig. I defy any Mudhoney fan not to want to hear Hate the Police as a closing number.

Set - part 2:

Into the Drink

Poisoned Water

I Saw the Light

Get into Yours

Pushing for War

Where the Flavor is

I Have to Laugh

Hot and happy, Koko staff finally shooed us out of the doors to make ready for the second gig of the evening (Autechre I think). As we wandered away from Koko towards our next destination - a pub back near the house in Bethnal Green - ears still ringing, the street of sweaty bodies around us suddenly chirped in unison "Jesus take me to a higher place"...it seemed only fitting to return a now hoarse "Sliding in'n'out of grace".

Mark, Dan, come back again soon and deliver us more Mudhoney musical madness - your fans still demand it! 10/10.

The Offspring - Brixton Academy 16/09/05

The support, Letters Organized or somesuch, were very good. Punk with thunking great beats and excellent stage presence but marred slightly by an overloud mix. Will have to find some of their stuff to have a more in depth listen at home methinks.

Then the Offspring set starts and they have a longer specially recorded Smash intro specifically for gigs and it ends with the word; stupid goddamn dumb shit motherfucker and we're off. They roar through their better known songs with only one real surprise of Pay The Man as the first encore song they play. And within 75 minutes the nights done, which left me slightly disappointed but I still left with a great big smile on my face.

The tickets were pricey for such a short set but well worth every penny. Glad I waited to see them in a smaller venue like Brixton. Pics in the Flickr link in my sig.

Million Dead - Camden Underworld - 23/09/05

Second to last gig before the band split for good, last gig in London. Support came in the form of a band I missed and Gay for Johnny Depp who I seem to be hearing about all over the place. I'd heard one of their songs and wasn't that impressed, but seeing them live won me over. It's shouty, sometimes in an almost bad way, but the songs are really good. They are funny, and by the end of their set their lead singer was in his boxers :ph34r:

Million Dead were, as always, awesome. They always give out so much energy on stage and tonight was no exception. Frank, lead singer, always had a smile on his face, and interacted with the crowd shed-loads. All the hits were played, they basically played every single song a Million Dead fan could want. Stage invasion by a gimp at one point also! After the last song, a short but sweet goodbye 'We've been Million Dead, thanks for having us. Goodbye'

A sad time to be a Million Dead fan, but I can't think of a better way to see them off.

Thrice - Mean Fiddler - 20/09/05

Pretty much what I expected, which is to say bloody good.

First support The Blackout from South Wales. They play what's fast-becoming the South Wales sound, but they're not very good at it, to be honest and it sounds like their inspiration begins and ends at FFAF's first album.

Second support Dredg - see other thread.

Thrice played a lot of stuff of Artist in the Ambulance, especially at the start of the gig, which is no bad thing as it's a great album. Very tight, energetic playing and a great atmosphere (a fair bit of singing along, especially to the title track).

They played a fair bit off their new album, which all sounded promising, especially a long gothic-sounding one that I forget the name of. Thanks to the wonders of the internet, Image of the Invisible went down a storm, with everyone singing along. Surely it's going to be a hit when it comes out?

I wasn't expecting them to do an encore, because there was nothing much of Artist in the Ambulance left, but they came back and played To Awake and Avenge the Dead - a fantastic choice to end the show, IMO.

Trivium @ The London Astoria 18/09/05

Another bunch of kudos for Trivium. Unexpectedly got to see them tonight at the Astoria due to a friend offering me a spare ticket at the last minute, as his brother couldn't go. ;)

Anyway, totally bloody awesome. Metal at its best. I couldn't really see that much, damn being so short :( Everyone went spacko to Like Light To The Flies. One of my favourites of the evening was A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation.

They're touring again in March, and will definitely be going to see them then. Tonight certainly made up for a couple of other gigs I'm missing. Times a million, in fact.

Check them out, they're shit hot, and arguably the best thing that's happened to metal for a long while.

Caught them in belfast the other night and they ripped the place apart... literally. something happened up front at the barrier (i think it started to break) so they had to stop during pull harder on the strings of your marty (last song) while the barrier was checked out. Since they said they had never had to stop a gig before, as a special treat they covered master of puppets and the place went fucking ape shit. then they finished pull harder and... wow what a night. crazy.

Definalty one of the best metal bands around currently.

• 4 weeks later...
Caught them in belfast the other night and they ripped the place apart... literally. something happened up front at the barrier (i think it started to break) so they had to stop during pull harder on the strings of your marty (last song) while the barrier was checked out. Since they said they had never had to stop a gig before, as a special treat they covered master of puppets and the place went fucking ape shit. then they finished pull harder and... wow what a night. crazy.

Definalty one of the best metal bands around currently.

Only just read that. and oh my god I want to cry. That would have been amazing to see.

And yep, new tour dates announced *dances* Trivium tix

Bullet For My Valentine - London Astoria, 20th October 2005

Well, they were just brilliant. Astoria sound was a bit crap, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 4 Words (To Choke Upon), 10 Years Today and Tears Don't Fall were probably my favourites. And this time I could actually see! well, mostly.

anyways, yes, very good, will definitely be going to see them again. I do love them very much.

Gemma Hayes - The Savoy, Cork, 17th October 2005

gh_denim_jacket.jpg

The Ballyporeen beauty is touring once again, to promote her new album, "The Roads Don't Love You", which hits the shelves on Monday. We get their early, to get good spots, and by God, we do. Right at the front, centre, arms' length from the Tipperary songstress herself. We suffer through the dreary support act, confident that Gemma will make it up for it. She does. Many times over.

I've been to a few fantastic gigs in my time, but this easily ranks among the greatest I've seen. She runs through all the fans' favourites with ease (Ran For Miles, Back Of My Hand, Let A Good Thing Go etc.), and pumps out new material in between, leaving us all salivating with anticipation for the new record. The thing that surprises most about the gig is the noise. The girl can pound on a guitar with the best of 'em, and her backing band, newly acquired during the LA recording sessions for her new album pump out the same volume. It's simply wondrous.

A special gig then, and no mistake. Everybody came out reeling, and while I could review the Mundy gig last Friday, which was great in its own right, I'd find it very hard to be passionate about it if I kept thinking of Gemma Hayes' show.

• 2 weeks later...

Mylo, Birmingham Academy, Last Wednesday

For someone initially reluctant to take his music out on the road, Mylo's live performance is an incredibly accomplished affair.

Now less reliant on material from the album, songs such as opener Mars Needs Women (Mylo's contribution to Warchild) sound as good as any of the older classics.

Nothing though, was ever going to stand in the way of Drop The Pressure to provide a suitably manic end to the evening. A year ago hailed as the saviour of dance music, Mylo has now achieved that and so much more. Stunning. 9/10

Mylo, Birmingham Academy, Last Wednesday

For someone initially reluctant to take his music out on the road, Mylo's live performance is an incredibly accomplished affair.

Now less reliant on material from the album, songs such as opener Mars Needs Women (Mylo's contribution to Warchild) sound as good as any of the older classics.

Nothing though, was ever going to stand in the way of Drop The Pressure to provide a suitably manic end to the evening. A year ago hailed as the saviour of dance music, Mylo has now achieved that and so much more. Stunning. 9/10

Seconded to all of this :lol: I went to see Mylo at Brixton Academy on Saturday, and it was ace. I only actually know about four tracks of his (we went for my brother's birthday) but even the stuff I didn't know was great. Some surprisingly mellow stuff too. Shame the Academy was quite so packed - couldn't help thinking they'd either oversold or let people with circle tickets into the stalls by mistake, cos it was packed all the way back to the doors.

And Drop The Pressure is a tune and a half :P

Franz Ferdinand/Editors/Rakes, Brighton Centre, 15 November 2005

This was such fun! I saw Franz at the Concorde in April 2004 and thought that playing a soulless venue like the Centre would probably be a bit crap, along with the usual problem of hateful second-album audiences, but it was actually one of the best gigs I've been to for ages.

The Rakes did a great little set and managed to whizz through most of their album, including the wonderful Binary Love. The Editors were absolutely fucking dreadful, though. Why are they being hyped so much? It was like being sprayed with a hideous mixture of liquid shit, the worst of U2 and and the worst of REM (is that a tautology?).

Franz were fantastic, though. Best of all was Jacqueline, which reminds me of driving round Iceland last spring as we played it constantly in the car, Darts Of Pleasure with mass-crowd-surfing and a deafening Outsiders right near the end, when two other guys came on to play drums so that there were three of them pounding away, standing around a single drumkit! The atmosphere was great - I've never seen so many big smiles after a gig. I know Franz are a big commercial pop act now, but they are still one of the best live acts around. If you get a chance to see them on this tour, then do!

Seconded to all of this :(  I went to see Mylo at Brixton Academy on Saturday, and it was ace.  I only actually know about four tracks of his (we went for my brother's birthday) but even the stuff I didn't know was great.  Some surprisingly mellow stuff too.  Shame the Academy was quite so packed - couldn't help thinking they'd either oversold or let people with circle tickets into the stalls by mistake, cos it was packed all the way back to the doors. 

And Drop The Pressure is a tune and a half :wub:

Interesting. The Birmingham gig I was at was the only one on the tour that didn't sell out.

Starsailor, Nottingham Rock City, Tuesday

Despite the edgier feel of the new album, Starsailor live is still a very polite experience.

New songs sound good, but inevitably it’s the classics such as Good Souls, Silence Is Easy and personal favourite Four To The Floor that get the biggest reaction.

The predominantly mid-twenties audience are appreciative, but never in danger of getting over excited. It’s a reception that perfectly reflects the given performance. A pleasant evening had, most go home satisfied. 7/10

Franz Ferdinand/Editors/Rakes, Brighton Centre, 15 November 2005

This was such fun! I saw Franz at the Concorde in April 2004 and thought that playing a soulless venue like the Centre would probably be a bit crap, along with the usual problem of hateful second-album audiences, but it was actually one of the best gigs I've been to for ages.

The Rakes did a great little set and managed to whizz through most of their album, including the wonderful Binary Love. The Editors were absolutely fucking dreadful, though. Why are they being hyped so much? It was like being sprayed with a hideous mixture of liquid shit, the worst of U2 and and the worst of REM (is that a tautology?).

Franz were fantastic, though. Best of all was Jacqueline, which reminds me of driving round Iceland last spring as we played it constantly in the car, Darts Of Pleasure with mass-crowd-surfing and a deafening Outsiders right near the end, when two other guys came on to play drums so that there were three of them pounding away, standing around a single drumkit! The atmosphere was great - I've never seen so many big smiles after a gig. I know Franz are a big commercial pop act now, but they are still one of the best live acts around. If you get a chance to see them on this tour, then do!

o/\o

What a gig!

Agree about the Editors and the Rakes were okay but just not my cup of tea. The Franz were without a doubt one the best live acts I've seen you'd think they'd been at it for decades they were that good!

Club Sea Power, Glasgow QMU

Started with British sea power doing about 6 B-sides in a row then finishing with True Adventures, they didn't put much into it and I was quite worried when they dissapeared and on came field music, who were a bit dull.

Fortunately BSP came back.

I shouldn't have worried, they never dissapoint. Seen then about 5 times now and this was probably my favourite. They had projected on the back some shots of animals walking, or trees with birds on in a sort of Sigur Ros Takk look. After about 5 or 6 tracks it started snowing (bubbles dropped from the ceiling) and everyone just went mad again from a great start to the crowd getting tired a bit this pulled it all together again. The snow stopped but they just kept playing merging one song into the next for the next half an hour or so. I just completely lost track of time to be honest, really caught up in the gig and not wanting it to end (I can honestly say this has never happend with any other band).

I can't really get down how much I enjoyed this gig, and I go to a fucking lot of gigs. BSP. Snow. Ace.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - ULU London - 22/11/05

I'm not great at music reviews so I'll just say they were pretty good. I heard their album once before I saw them here and thought they played well, but seemed to do their best tracks (imo) early on, meaning the last half got a bit boring. The lead singer kind of mumbled his lines, making it hard to hear any lyrics but apparently he always does this. Everyone there seemed to like it and the place was nearly full. Overall - not bad.

something to ask: there were two support acts there - was anyone there and knows the name of the first band? Had 3 members inc a girl singer. They had a video projected onto the background while they played. Didn't hear their name and really want to find out who they are. If anyone knows, post a name or even their website if you have it - thx! :D

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - ULU London - 22/11/05

I'm not great at music reviews so I'll just say they were pretty good. I heard their album once before I saw them here and thought they played well, but seemed to do their best tracks (imo) early on, meaning the last half got a bit boring. The lead singer kind of mumbled his lines, making it hard to hear any lyrics but apparently he always does this. Everyone there seemed to like it and the place was nearly full. Overall - not bad.

something to ask:  there were two support acts there - was anyone there and knows the name of the first band? Had 3 members inc a girl singer. They had a video projected onto the background while they played. Didn't hear their name and really want to find out who they are. If anyone knows, post a name or even their website if you have it - thx!  ;)

Ahh, there's a professional review of this gig up on C4 Teletext page 354 today. They played the club where I work on Saturday in Nottingham, so I watched them soundcheck a couple of songs. Seemed good.

Can't remember who supported that one I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Madness - London Astoria, Sunday 4th December 2005

The band played a cracking set, lasting around an hour and a half, and two encores.

One of the best set-lists I've seen them perform in years - selected tracks from the Madness back catalogue, sprinkled with tunes from their latest 'Dangermen Sessions' album meant the audience were treated to a real variety.

The set started off with an animatronic Santa being brought on stage, switched on and left to do the nutty dance. Moments later the band appeared and things got underway with the now obligatory 'Hey You!' from One Step Beyond, and from then on it was a fast paced stream of pop, ska and reggae gems. As always, the crowd were up for it, and the atmospehere was simply fantastic. Sure, it was boystrious (what else would you expect from a Madness gig?!) but was friendly.

Special mention must go to the sound tech guys. The mix was spot-on, and the sound was simply stunning. They'd really done a great job to ensure things sounded fantastic.

I'd never been to the Astoria before, and didn't know what to expect. I can now tell you that it's the grottiest place I've ever seen Madness perform in, but it was worth it for the atmosphere and sound quality.

A cracking night, even if the beer was £3.30 a can!

Club Sea Power, Glasgow QMU

Started with British sea power doing about 6 B-sides in a row then finishing with True Adventures, they didn't put much into it and I was quite worried when they dissapeared and on came field music, who were a bit dull. 

Fortunately BSP came back.

I shouldn't have worried, they never dissapoint.  Seen then about 5 times now and this was probably my favourite.  They had projected on the back some shots of animals walking, or trees with birds on in a sort of Sigur Ros Takk look.  After about 5 or 6 tracks it started snowing (bubbles dropped from the ceiling) and everyone just went mad again from a great start to the crowd getting tired a bit this pulled it all together again.  The snow stopped but they just kept playing merging one song into the next for the next half an hour or so. I just completely lost track of time to be honest, really caught up in the gig and not wanting it to end (I can honestly say this has never happend with any other band). 

I can't really get down how much I enjoyed this gig, and I go to a fucking lot of gigs.  BSP.  Snow. Ace.

I preffered the gig at the Liquid Room, from their set point of view anyway. It was just immense, without being self indulgent. We got much of the B-Sidey stuff (St. Louis...mmm) padding the set because The Rakes pulled out. The QMU was good but I can't say it was AS good.

• 3 weeks later...

Embrace, Nottingham Rock City

Surely Embrace pay people to appear over excited at their gigs? It's the only logical explanation for the devotion they inspire.

Even so, you can see where the appeal lies. Their singalong tunes sounded as good as ever, but the real draw here was hearing new stuff from album #5.

Taking a new rockier direction not unlike Starsailor's recent path change, two out of four new songs held immediate appeal. At worst, the new stuff intrigues. Here's hoping it does much more. 7/10

• 5 weeks later...

Tom Waits tribute - Cyprus Avenue, Cork

Just got back from this, and I was, quite frankly, speechless. I'd heard good things about the act, but I didn't expect anything near this good. His version of "Ruby's Arms" nearly brought me to tears, "New Coat Of Paint" was, dare I say it, better than Tom's own album version, "Hoist That Rag" was epic, "Martha" was a heart-wrenching sinalong, "Blue Valentine" floored me. Every single song was fucking spectacular, and nothing short of it. I've been to a few brilliant gigs in the past few months, but this ranks among the best of them. I'm not exaggerating at all, I'm still fucking reeling from it, it was simply ridiculously fantastic.

Jesus, that was good. I'll never forget it until I see the man himself live (read:never).

EDIT: Forgot to mention the frankly brilliant version of Nick Cave's "Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow" that he did.

Razorlight, Nottingham Rescue Rooms, last night

Every one of the 550 people in this room feels privileged to be here.

This is an intimate gig, for which Razorlight won't need much effort

to succeed at.

For a while that fact is all too obvious, and it's not until encores

that Johnny Borrell plays his usual rockstar role. Once he does, the

crowd gleefully lap it up.

It just manages to disguise the fact that this is a gig won in extra time. 7/10

• 3 weeks later...

NME Tour, Brighton Dome, 16 February 2006

Happily the rumours about people buggering off after the Monkeys proved completely untrue in Brighton. We Are Scientists played the strongest gig of the lot, fantastic songs, really tight and sharp, but Maximo Park was the best surprise - a really passionate, aggressive set with genuine feeling. The Arctic Monkeys' set was all a bit of a cosy and complacent singalong - groups of people facing away from the stage so that mates could take piccies on their mobiles with the band in the background, etc. Mystery Jets were rambling, talentless shit from start to finish, an absolute fucking joke.

We Are Scientists > Maximo Park > Arctic Monkeys > Mystery Jets

Kanye West, Manchester MEN, 16/02/2006

Oh lord. What a shambles this turned out to be. First and foremost, there was no support act, just some retard from Radio1Extra trying to big up the crowd. For ages. Which was shit. Kanye came on at 9:00pm, so there was a decent amount of time from him. Hell, there was even an orchestra of sorts, which was nice, but you couldn't hear a few instruments (like the harp), so I wasn't sure if that was a little big-headed or not. The problem with having albums with guest stars on is that the songs have to be altered in some way, and these were mostly cut short. But he did fill the time, so that was alright. But then technical difficulties! They forced a few fuck-ups, but he didn't get pissed off, which was alright. And most of the crowd were puzzled how it ended, with no 'goodbye', just some odd stances. For £25 I expected a lot more. In contrast:

The Darkness, Manchester MEN, 18/02/2006

This gig was fucking brilliant, really. 2 support acts, the first one wasn't bad, if a little Brian Adams + Limozeen + Swedish (nothing against Swedish, jobviously!). The second one was a bit forgetable (Juliette and the Licks), but did a decent cover of Search and Destroy by Iggy and the Stooges. Also made me realise why it's harder for women to be front(wo)men; fucking idiots in the crowd hollering every time they move a limb, or something. Yawn. Anyway, the main event was excellent; Justin being suspended above the crowd on, well, a large pair of tits-carriage-thing, which was funny, if a little daunting being right underneath the thing after the hopelessness of the techical difficulties in the Kanye gig. But it was alright now, at least.

So yeah, the gig had it all; amazing pyrotechnics, fantastic stage-set up and awesome extended guitar solos for nearly every song (in contrast to Kanye, there). Lots of aging rockers in the crowd, but that's much preferred to wankers who sit on one another's shoulders throwing beer all over the place. AND they ended the gig with 'Bald', which resulted in an excellent ending. At least 9/10 overall.

EDIT: Just for good measure, when the Darkness were doing 'Bald', Justin Hawkins was being suspended above the crowd doing a massive guitar solo for ages, probably in a similar way to Um Jammer Lammy when you get 'Cool' and mash out riff after riff. AMAZING SCENES. Really!

GLC - Nottingham Rock City 23/02/2006

The support band, Killa Kela were quite entertaining. They had absolutely no good songs but the beatboxing was all good fun. Somewhat let down by the rest of the band unfortunately. The more Black Eyed Peas influenced moments were really painful.

GLC. I'm not a huge fan of this band, their songs are mostly novelties but I still expected it to be fun so agreed to accompany a friend. For the most part it was fun. They gave far too much stage time to the really very dull Maggot character and probably played for about 30 minutes longer than their catalogue allowed. The charity raffle for a copy of Noel Edmunds Telly Addicsts board game was very funny but overall the show dissappointingly over rehearsed for a group of guys you expect to have some degree of wit, if not charm. Crowd were all very up for it and probably the biggest cross section of youth I've ever seen at a gig. Overall, an entertaining night out, just bring a board game or good book for the middle section of the show. GLC need to thin the herd if they wish to carry on.

GLC - Nottingham Rock City 23/02/2006

The support band, Killa Kela were quite entertaining. They had absolutely no good songs but the beatboxing was all good fun. Somewhat let down by the rest of the band unfortunately. The more Black Eyed Peas influenced moments were really painful.

GLC. I'm not a huge fan of this band, their songs are mostly novelties but I still expected it to be fun so agreed to accompany a friend. For the most part it was fun. They gave far too much stage time to the really very dull Maggot character and probably played for about 30 minutes longer than their catalogue allowed. The charity raffle for a copy of Noel Edmunds Telly Addicsts board game was very funny but overall the show dissappointingly over rehearsed for a group of guys you expect to have some degree of wit, if not charm. Crowd were all very up for it and probably the biggest cross section of youth I've ever seen at a gig. Overall, an entertaining night out, just bring a board game or good book for the middle section of the show. GLC need to thin the herd if they wish to carry on.

Saw GLC in Manchester last night, since a friend of a friend backed out of going so I got the ticket for free. They were alright, good for a chuckle if you'd had a few but the thing that surprised me was the crowd. It was (I imagine) like being at an emo gig. No-one was moving, smiling or doing anything other than looking serious and trying to look like Preston out of Ordinary Boys.

Was good for a free gig....