Ds Games! Lots Of Pictures!

You naysayers need to have a read of the other DS thread on here.

Every single DS game I have seen so far makes more than adaquate use of the touch screen and the other features the DS offers.

Yoshi's Touch & Go looks to be the pick of the bunch though - a game which completely revolves around the use of the touch screen.

It makes me sort of wonder what people want. Either a game is just another update/port, or is more Japanese craziness. Nintendo cannot win really.

There is plenty of new content as well as being plenty of updates to games (with completely unique features).

The difference between Wario Ware DS and the GBA version is much great than the difference between every Pro Evolution combined - it doesnt seem to stop you lot going crazy over that game though.

To me it seems like Nintendo is the only one accused of piping out the same over and over again and it strikes me as simply being a case of the accuser not bothering to play/read about the game.

Go watch the video for Super Mario 64 DS which is the only "port" we know anything about. There is loads of new content in that, more than enough to pique my interest in it, and I dont plan on playing through the regular game again.

One point - if Mario64 was designed around the analogue pad of the N64, what is the point of playing it on a d-pad?

You can control it with a strap thingy that wraps around your thumb using the touch screen too. At least you're supposed to be able to; the bloke doing the demonstration (see the video on Gamespot) couldn't get it to work.

So is Ridge Racer going to be controlled with the touch screen? If so, I hope it works better than I'm imagining it will.

IGN say it plays poorly (due to the touchscreen interface), hopefully it'll be improved or they'll include dpad control. I have high hopes for it, it has something like 20 tracks for various different iterations of the franchise.

Here's Gamespots hands-on report of the DS version of Super Mario 64 which describes some of the changes between the DS version and N64 origional. The main difference to the orgional single player game seems to be the four playable characters (Yoshi, Mario, Luigi & Wario) each with different abilities. Apparently you start the game actually playing as Yoshi rather than Mario in this version too.

Also describes some of the multiplayer and DS hardware specific features.

Sorry if this has already been posted but quite a few people seem to believe it's a 100% direct port so this should help to clear things up.

Cos it's a brilliant game. It's not a straight port, so they've obviously made sure it's playable. Also, there's a mode where you can use the touch screen as an analogue pad.

Hmmm, I guess I'd have to suck it and see then.

Re. using the touchscreen though - doesn't your hand/the pointer obscure the view somewhat?

having to use the other screen as an analogue controller just highlights the rather obvious oversight imo.

What oversight? That there's no analogue stick? You don't need one, because you've got a touch screen.

What view?  Action's on the top screen.

It'll obscure a little of the map, but the analogue control square is just the top left of the screen not all of it, so there will still be room to see most of it.

What about Metroid though? Don't you have to jab the view screen with a pen to fire?

Thats only one of five different control methods, you can use the Dpad as you expect to control also.

having to use the other screen as an analogue controller just highlights the rather obvious oversight imo.

true, i don't know why they left it out, seems like the worst decision ever.

as for the "ohh it's mario kart it does nothing new, it's old, it's boring"

well it's the 5th Mario Kart game in 12 years and brings a whole bunch of new stuff to the table. in comparison Sony are going for 5 Gran Turismo games in 6 years.

so quit ya moaning.

Also from what we've seen of Mario Kart DS, it seems to be a compilation of either ALL previous MK tracks or at least it has "The best of". Throw in some new tracks, full size times, position and map on screen 2 and 8 player wireless and it should be pretty damn good.

I wont be bothering with the DS. I have AW 1 & 2 on my GBA to go back to when Im really bored and a pocket PC to mess about with my stylus (Gets annoying when you cant see what your doing cause your hand is in the way!).

Looking at all the games for release there isnt a single one that makes me in the slightest bit excited and the 2 screen thing is not innovative in the slightest. It was done about 15 years ago by... Nintendo, who scrapped it because it didnt work!

PSP for me...

I wont be bothering with the DS. I have AW 1 & 2 on my GBA to go back to when Im really bored and a pocket PC to mess about with my stylus (Gets annoying when you cant see what your doing cause your hand is in the way!).

Looking at all the games for release there isnt a single one that makes me in the slightest bit excited and the 2 screen thing is not innovative in the slightest. It was done about 15 years ago by... Nintendo, who scrapped it because it didnt work!

PSP for me...

beard.jpg

Did i hear a new Virtual Boy here?

I'm really dissapointed with the DS, i'm not sure if i'm going to get one. Innovation should be done with the games and not the hardware, i played on the DS and was quite disturbed with the two screens. Constantly looking at an other screen just destroys my 'gameplayflow', and i don't even want to start talking about the use of a stylus to play games.

Touchscreen, dual screen, voice recognition, nah .. not for me :ph34r:.

Did i hear a new Virtual Boy here?

I'm really dissapointed with the DS, i'm not sure if i'm going to get one. Innovation should be done with the games and not the hardware, i played on the DS and was quite disturbed with the two screens. Constantly looking at an other screen just destroys my 'gameplayflow', and i don't even want to start talking about the use of a stylus to play games.

Touchscreen, dual screen, voice recognition, nah .. not for me :ph34r:.

Someone talking sense...

What oversight? That there's no analogue stick? You don't need one, because you've got a touch screen.

not the best way of playing a game i'd imagine, and then of course it creates more problems if you wanted to use the bottom screen for something other than analogue control because it will become obscured by one's thumb.

not the best way of playing a game i'd imagine, and then of course it creates more problems if you wanted to use the bottom screen for something other than analogue control because it will become obscured by one's thumb.

How big is your thumb?!

The analogue control method would take up a fraction of the touch screen space. All that's needed is a circle in the bottom left corner. Unless the developers had a terrible sense of design and put vital information where the analogue control is, I can't see it being a problem.