Spooks

StephenM

So it starts tonight! 9pm, BBC1, Spooks Series 3 gets underway.

As I'm sure you all know it's a quality spy series, had some classic episodes, and was left on a massive awkward cliffhanger last series, with Tom Quinn (our hero, as it were) being framed for assasination, so shooting the boss of MI5 in order to make his escape! And then he randomly swam out to sea! Maybe shooting someone isn't the best way to prove your innocence...

But anyway, series 3 should be good, I don't see why not - except there's a new guy working at the agency, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of Tom Quinn quite early on. Which...well, would be a massive shame because it's a great character, and he's always been our protagonist as it were.

Any more Spooks fans? If not, watch it! Das ist gut!

That was great! Surprised they managed to wrap up the storyline in one episode though.

Click For Spoiler
Tom killing the guy who set him up was superb. Nice and brutal.

The guy who plays Tom still walks funny though. And he's shagging the bird who plays Zoe in real-life. The shit.

That was great! Surprised they managed to wrap up the storyline in one episode though.

Click For Spoiler
Tom killing the guy who set him up was superb. Nice and brutal.

The guy who plays Tom still walks funny though. And he's shagging the bird who plays Zoe in real-life. The shit.

He's not just shagging her in real life, she left her husband for him, they are expecting a baby together in real life, and they are both leaving the show.

Hey there.

I thought it was great. I do think it was all wrapped up a little too quickly and it was all a bit... "neat" for my liking. I expected there to be a lot to more the whole set up than just those two characters.

So the new guy, He has to be Toms replacement right? What do you think? I thought he was pretty good in last nights episode. He is basically a slightly younger Tom thought isnt he? I guess that will work well for the show. But it would have been nice for them to go somewhere different with the new lead of the show.

Despin out.

Hey there.

I thought it was great. I do think it was all wrapped up a little too quickly and it was all a bit... "neat" for my liking. I expected there to be a lot to more the whole set up than just those two characters.

So the new guy, He has to be Toms replacement right? What do you think? I thought he was pretty good in last nights episode. He is basically a slightly younger Tom thought isnt he? I guess that will work well for the show. But it would have been nice for them to go somewhere different with the new lead of the show.

Despin out.

They've clearly gone for a character similar to Tom, so that when he leaves the fans won't miss him too much.

Still I think they went a bit too far. At the end Tom kept saying 'that's what I would have said' etc.

One BIG problem I had with last nights episode, is that at the beginning when Zoe and Danny where driving back to London, both Tom's name and photo were paraded on the television. How in Gods name can he go back to work as a spy when his name, photo etc are in the public domain :D

I honestly thought this was how Tom would have to leave the service, after clearing his name of course.

My girlfriend watches this and I often have to too.

Can somebody please tell me if it's supposed to be a serious type thing or is it supposed to be a bit like a comic strip?

The acting and dialogue are piss-poor in all the episodes I've ever seen - so I just wondered if it was all tongue-in-cheek?

My girlfriend watches this and I often have to too.

Can somebody please tell me if it's supposed to be a serious type thing or is it supposed to be a bit like a comic strip?

The acting and dialogue are piss-poor in all the episodes I've ever seen - so I just wondered if it was all tongue-in-cheek?

I disagree, and admire the fact that the BBC are trying something different for once.

Beats the shitty soaps, crime dramas and cop shows that are on all the time.

That had some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard in a prime-time series, as well as some of the worst acting. That bit where some MI5 people meet under the metal walkway thing and discover their bicycle has been bugged had me absoultely pissing myself- it was like a school play with a msaaive budget. Especially with the camera rotating madly around them for no reason. That black feller's a truly shockingly poor actor, as well.

It's also a bit weird the way everyone calls that bloke who looks like a kind of Happy Shopper version of Clive Owen 'Tom Quinn' all the time. As opposed to, say, 'Tom' or 'Quinn'.

I love it...but on the evidence of the season 3 opening its going down hill.

The dialogue was indeed as its been pointed out, teeth grindingly awful and a compelling and interesting scenario has all too neatly wrapped up in 'the all lived happily ever after' type fashion.

Which is a shame because early episodes always did the unexpected - the chip fat scene with the secretary being a case in point - an emotional sledgehammer in the vein of the end of se7en if there ever was one.

The developing of Tom's character has been interesting - going from teh smooth cool super spy - to someone clearly being driven insane by the job - has been well portrayed. The key scene from the first episode was where he confronts his ex CIA g/f in the car park - she's getting out but he's heading further in.

Apparently he leaves at the end of episode 2 - I hope for the programmes sake its in a suitably messy fashion.

I found the new guy interesting tho' - a little like Tom maybe - but without the earlier incarnation of Tom's moral grounding...and little less intense as well.

Nevertheless I think the series will struggle without Tom & Zoe...