What's In A Name?

Fry Crayola

What pisses me off more than anything with game names is when fucking pedant hardcore people refer to a game by it's Japanese title for no fucking reason.

I am looking at EVERYONE who calls Wario Ware "Made in Wario". IT DOESN'T FUCKING MEAN ANYTHING.

Wait a minute: in my view, there is nothing wrong in referring to a game by its Japanese title if what you are referring to is the actual Japanese version of the game. This makes it convenient for questions about which version one has, etc. I own the Japanese version of Wario Ware, and, as such, I prefer to call it Made in Wario, becuase that's the name given to that version of the game. (And it does make sense, if you think in terms of Japanese grammar --but that's a topic for another thread.)

What pisses me off more than anything with game names is when fucking pedant hardcore people refer to a game by it's Japanese title for no fucking reason.

I am looking at EVERYONE who calls Wario Ware "Made in Wario". IT DOESN'T FUCKING MEAN ANYTHING.

In THIS thread we are talking about titles. In the case of Made In Wario that's a funnier\weirder name than WarioWare.

Escape from the planet of the Robot Monsters

Proof if it ever be needed that entirely descriptive game titles are really much cop.

I like nice titles, that give you an idea of what to expect, but sound cool at the same time, so you dont sound like a penis when your talking about it; e.g. Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden etc

Incidentally, every Star Wards game automatically has a crap title, due to needing one or more preceding titles (like Star Wars: Rogue Squadron: Rebel Strike - Cock of Justice)

Almost as bad as those who insist on calling it 'A New Hope' rather than 'Star Wars' ... :D

I've always loved 'Bubble Bobble'. Beautiful.

And 'Puzzle Bobble' as well. I can never bring my self to call that game 'Bust a move' (another dreadful title), it will always be Puzzle Bobble to me.

Agreed both ace titles, I can't stand the name bust a move either because it makes no sense to me. Probably because I first played the game when it was called puzzle bobble and was a big fan of bubble bobble before that.

Wait a minute: in my view, there is nothing wrong in referring to a game by its Japanese title if what you are referring to is the actual Japanese version of the game. This makes it convenient for questions about which version one has, etc. I own the Japanese version of Wario Ware, and, as such, I prefer to call it Made in Wario, becuase that's the name given to that version of the game. (And it does make sense, if you think in terms of Japanese grammar --but that's a topic for another thread.)

I remember Cacky having this same argument with someone. Do you enjoy playing Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto as well? :(

I remember Cacky having this same argument with someone. Do you enjoy playing Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto as well? :(

Above mid-level 5s. There is absolutely no point in referring a game to it's Japanese title, unless the western version is completely different, whether in terms of characters and story (certain SNES games) or Donkey Konga, but that name didn't change, because that is a proper approach.

I know it was Sega, but it's a fine example of this particular naming convention. As is Super Puzzle Fighter II and scores of others. Prefixing a name with "Super" makes it super exciting! After all, would you play a game called "Monkey Ball" or "Puzzle Fighter II"?

The idea of the name Super Puzzle Fighter II is to take the piss out of Street Fighter, though. If you remove the piss take parts of the name it becomes... welll... "Puzzle". Super Monkey Ball is because it's the psuedo-sequel to the arcade original called simply Monkey Ball.

Half-Life, Amplitude, Frequency are very good. They imply what the games are about without explaining it (plus sound good).

I like Resident Evil. Makes me think of TSRs... Evil running in the background. Lovely.

Day of the Tentacle is a nice name, Resident Evil is a lovely, lovely name. House of the Dead is also a good name as it vaguely refers to the Dead trilogy and also explains what it is.

Beach Spikers is also a very good name. Considering the similar concept, it's a much better name than that stupid DoA volleyball game.

NiGHTs into Dreams. I've always thought this sounded really cool.

Fable. It's so simple... lovely.

Notable bad ones:

Max Payne. I mean... seriously, Max Payne.

Serious Sam. See above.

Crazy Taxi. It explains what it is, but sounds awful. It's a TAXI that's CRAZY!

Why has no-one mentioned Ikaruga?

I don't know what it means...but it's a lovely word to say.

What is the correct pronunciation of this actually? (Come on you Japanese title fans :() I mostly say Ika-ruga but I get the feeling it might be Ikar-uga, if you see my point :D Impossible to convey without saying it really :(

What is the correct pronunciation of this actually? (Come on you Japanese title fans :P) I mostly say Ika-ruga but I get the feeling it might be Ikar-uga, if you see my point ;) Impossible to convey without saying it really ;)

I say "Ika-ruga". Violet Berlin said it like that*, which was the first I'd heard of it...so it must be right.

*"Ikath-rugashthppp"

But WE'RE NOT JAPANESE YOU UTTER TOOL.
I remember Cacky having this same argument with someone. Do you enjoy playing Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto as well?
Above mid-level 5s. There is absolutely no point in referring a game to its Japanese title, unless the western version is completely different, whether in terms of characters and story (certain SNES games) or Donkey Konga, but that name didn't change, because that is a proper approach.

Wait another minute: I'm all for being affable to the reader of my posts in trying to make my arguments or statements as easy to understand without having to compromise the message that I want to convey, and as such this borders on tyrannical absurdity. I could talk about the fact that referring to a game that has been released all over the world only by its Western title is somewhat on the imperialistic side; but, more importantly, I see nothing wrong with calling the Japanese version of a game by its Japanese title as long as people are in the know about what I am referring to. Such is the case with Made in Wario/Wario Ware, in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with the fact that Made in Wario makes sense if one thinks in terms of Japanese grammar, because that is the region in which the game was sold (and where the language is spoken).

I don't call the GC Zelda game Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto because I own the US version, which has, as its title, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. (As everybody must know, but I never call it by its Japanese title, as I haven't played that version.) If one were to follow the statement that there is no reason to use the Japanese title to a game, then anybody who doesn't live in Japan would not be able to call Ikaruga by its Japanese title: instead, one would have no option but to call it by its translated name, Japanese Grosbeak.

Wait another minute: I'm all for being affable to the reader of my posts in trying to make my arguments or statements as easy to understand without having to compromise the message that I want to convey, and as such this borders on tyrannical absurdity. I could talk about the fact that referring to a game that has been released all over the world only by its Western title is somewhat on the imperialistic side; but, more importantly, I see nothing wrong with calling the Japanese version of a game by its Japanese title as long as people are in the know about what I am referring to. Such is the case with Made in Wario/Wario Ware, in my opinion. There is nothign wrong with the fact that Made in Wario makes sense if one thinks in terms of Japanese grammar, because that is the region in which the game was sold (and where the language is spoken).

I don't call the GC Zelda game Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto because I own the US version, which has, as its title, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. (As everybody must know, but I never call it by its Japanese title, as I haven't played that version.) If one were to follow the statement that there is no reason to use the Japanese title to a game, then anybody who doesn't live in Japan would not be able to call Ikaruga by its Japanese title: instead, one would have no option but to call it by its translated name, Japanese Grosbeak.

:ph34r: Who let the architect in? Your flawless grammer and lack of any abbreviations, smileys or stupid swearwords are strange and disturbing.

biomotor unitron.

freakout.

radiant silvergun.

I'm being pedantic here but I didn't see flawless grammar.

But he didn't write that: he wrote, "flawless grammer" --which is a different thing altogether. (Whatever that may be.) As for prototypemuffin's comments: I'm flattered, but have to admit ptwizzy is correct: I don't think I adhere to English grammatical standards often. (I always thought, however, that --this being an internet forum-- these matters were not inspected closely.)

Why am I suddenly the center of attention in this thread?