The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

I bought Watchmen when it came out and it blew my 12-year old mind (yes, I'm that old). Alan Moore is probably my favourite comics writer. I should probably be purple with rage. And yet...I think this could be OK. It's all about the creators and what they can bring to the table. It's such an important property for DC that they won't just crank the handle and turn out a load of crap...will they?

It's such an important property for DC that they won't just crank the handle and turn out a load of crap...will they?

But do we gain anything from further stories? Was the world clamouring for mroe details about Kane's business deals in Citizen Kane? Or the tales of Jay Gatsby's bootlegging before the events of The Great Gatsby? Sure, it'll make DC some cash, providing they can find a writer who'll go anywhere near it, but it just seems so unnecessary…

I bought Watchmen when it came out and it blew my 12-year old mind (yes, I'm that old). Alan Moore is probably my favourite comics writer. I should probably be purple with rage. And yet...I think this could be OK. It's all about the creators and what they can bring to the table. It's such an important property for DC that they won't just crank the handle and turn out a load of crap...will they?

I'm with you. I started buying comics regularly when Watchmen was still being published and it still stands as one of my favourite ever stories and I could see this being quite fun if dealt with in the right way. As with everything, it's all in the execution. I'm sure Dave Gibbons would be up for it and I'd certainly love to see him drawing these charaters again after all these years.

Then again, they might get Fabian Nicieza to write it and it'll be shit.

The financial rewards for DC would be too vast for it not to happen so best to roll with it and hope for the best really.

In other news, just finished Kieron Gillens run on Thor and it was fantastically good fun. He's got Doom down perfectly, just the right side of comedy villain, just the way he should be. Well done sir :hat:

It's such an important property for DC that they won't just crank the handle and turn out a load of crap...will they?

Of course they won't! I mean, just look at their track record of creating astonishing follow-ups to groundbreaking classics like The Dark Knight Returns. I mean, they even got the original writer/artist to come back and pen an utterly necessary work of creative genius. The Dark Knight Strikes Again was truly the sequel that the world had been waiting for, and I can't wait to see what they do with Watchmen...

...fucking hell. :)

I'm almost ashamed to say this but I like Loeb's current Red Hulk run. The story plus the Ed McGuinness art is a fun combination.

I think my glass-half-full attitude towards the idea of new comics somehow set in the Watchmen universe is mostly because I'm intrigued to see what DC put out. They know that fan reaction will be, at best, cynical. They know that it will attract mainstream attention and has the potential to be a high-profile disaster. In the face of all of that, I'm just really interested to see what happens.

This week I broke my rule on crossover storylines and bought issues of Blackest Night AND Siege.

I enjoyed some of the early Blackest Night issues. The thing with the Black Rings resurrecting/zombifying dead heroes was quite nicely done. I think by about issue 4 it gets into the usual different coloured lanterns rubbish, so I think its squandered a lot of its potential, but I guess thats all part and parcel of a crossover story. Namely the need to somehow branch out and include as many different characters and titles as possible.

I've been wanting to read a Marvel title for quite some time now, and have only been reading Thor because it was the only thing that wasn't stuck in some sort of crossover/continuity hell. Siege nicely put an end to that. So I bought the first two issues of Siege. Coipel's art is as amazing as always. I dont really know any of the characters other than the Asgardian ones, so I'm probably missing a load of backstory stuff. In fact I had to hunt around on Wikipedia to try and find out more (eg: I actually thought it was Wolverine taking part in the attack on Asgard - not his son who is pretending to be him. Or something). Sure I kind of enjoyed Siege (mostly because of the art and THAT incident in issue 2), but both series just reinforce why I am so opposed to crossover series in comics:

- they compromise any chance of consistent, good story telling

- they are designed to get you to buy as many different comics as possible to try and piece together the full story

- they fuck up every single title you were already reading

- they make comics even more impenetrable for people not already reading them

It's so lame that pretty much every DC and Marvel book is now in some way tied up into some crossover or the other. This would be a great time for some other publisher to put out some high quality superhero titles that you can just enjoy on a title by title basis.

Bargain Time!

I don't know if any of you know Dave's Comics in Brighton? Its a great shop (probably the nicest I know) and it also has another shop a few doors down the road that sells loads of action figures (including loads of game ones) second hand books and a few GNs that are surplus stock from the main store. Anyway I was in the second shop today and they had a very nice colour edition of Volume 1 of Bone by Jeff Smith. They are larger than paperback, but not A4 size. So, for the bargain price of £4 I picked it up.

On the way home I was looking at it and the thing is only bleedin' signed by Jeff Smith!

Not bad for £4!!

This week I broke my rule on crossover storylines and bought issues of Blackest Night

thanks for reminding me.

although the various titles BN issues are standalone, in terms of narrative, I can't wait to see the TPB.

there's still no definitive reading order for the last 6 months of BN crossover titles, is there?

Weeeeee, batman & robin was good fun and setsup more fun to come. The return of Bruce Wayne series looks like epic lulz

kinda spoilers below

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-co...vr-700x1000.jpg

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-co...vr-700x1000.jpg

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-co...vr-700x1000.jpg oh hells yeah

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-co...cvr-700x999.jpg

Weeeeee, batman & robin was good fun and setsup more fun to come. The return of Bruce Wayne series looks like epic lulz

Just didnt like this issue of Batman and Robin at all.

A lot of this is due to the art which I dont think suits the character at all. The best bit of the art is Cameron's renderings of Batwoman, which for some reason look pretty good. But some of the other panels - including some of the fight scenes - just seem very off.

Story was weak sauce too.

Worst issue of Batman and Robin yet. Even the issues with Tan's appalling artwork, the story had something. Disappointing considering the cover and promo-art images hold the promise of something so much more BAD ASS.

I also picked up Secret Six 18. This issue is proof that even Gail Simone & John Ostrander can't save a relatively obscure DC title from being dragged down into the pits by association with BLACKEST NIGHT.

Been trying to find the Deluxe version and it seems to be rarer than rocking horse shit. It's either been delayed or the first rpint run was a bout 8 copies. Its only been out since November and nobody has it in stock or has had since Christmas. I have a really old reprint of the first 2 issues and it really is a thing of beauty.

Dave Stevens was a master

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2009/12/rocket-science.html

Finally managed to get one off ebay for a bargainicious £60

Good god, it's beautiful....

If you are at all interested in looking at the best comic books have to offer then at least pick up the standard HC edition for £20.

I didn't bother buying it because of its rubbish schedule, figuring I'd just pick them up when the last one came out.

The individual issues are like rocking horse shit. I've found a place to import all but the first issue from in America, but it's going to be like thirty quid or something.

Rubbish.

I read the Wonder Woman: Rise of the Olympian trade this week.

Verdict: Pretty goddamned epic.

It kind of loses some momentum towards the end for a bit, and I suspect I would have enjoyed this story even more if I knew more about Wonder Woman as a character. But even having said that, this is a great read. It's one of those stories like Kingdom Come, that depicts Wonder Woman as a character with some real purpose: a soldier with a mission.

From this and some of the stuff in Secret Six (not counting the current god-awful Blackest Night related issues), I'm beginning to think Gail Simone might be the best writer in comics these days.

I've just bought the first four TPBs of Powers and I'm loving it! I know it's old, but it seemed to fit quite nicely with a lot of books I've read lately: Supergod, The Boys, Irredeemable etc.

I didn't realise there were so many books in the series - are there any I can miss out on?

I've just bought the first four TPBs of Powers and I'm loving it! I know it's old, but it seemed to fit quite nicely with a lot of books I've read lately: Supergod, The Boys, Irredeemable etc.

I didn't realise there were so many books in the series - are there any I can miss out on?

Not really, its all quite closely knit and there are references throughout. The most recent volume actually touches on points from the very first storyline.

They're all really good and though so well worth it. Volume 7 being the standout with the wordless issue #31 and the time-spanning storyline.

Been trying to find the Deluxe version and it seems to be rarer than rocking horse shit. It's either been delayed or the first rpint run was a bout 8 copies. Its only been out since November and nobody has it in stock or has had since Christmas. I have a really old reprint of the first 2 issues and it really is a thing of beauty.

Dave Stevens was a master

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2009/12/rocket-science.html

Amazon are claiming that they have the Deluxe edition in stock:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE