IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Has anyone seen #2 of sma keiths Ojo out and about on there travels,. a lot of websites have it as available yesterday, but my local shop said it wasnt, cause sam keith is notorious for delaying stuff...

For those that dont know Ojo heres a smaple :(

Ojo.jpg

Ojopage1.jpg

Ojopage2.jpg

the little girl reminds me a lot of the girl he used in hulk/wolverine a while ago, i loved that title, some great art work. The mans a genius.

Erm, I bought this Batman comic the other day and I really liked it. So, which other Batman comics would appeal to me that are of a similar artstyle/story?

1840237171.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also, I bought the Superman Dies comic, which I thought was ok-ish (I expected a more involving storyline really) but I noticed there were some Superman Returns comics which had all these different Supermen. Are these any good?

Erm, I bought this Batman comic the other day and I really liked it. So, which other Batman comics would appeal to me that are of a similar artstyle/story?

Also, I bought the Superman Dies comic, which I thought was ok-ish (I expected a more involving storyline really) but I noticed there were some Superman Returns comics which had all these different Supermen. Are these any good?

Cant say what else youd like from that (not being a batman reader, or dc) BUT Kia Asamiya done one of my favourite Uncanny Xmen covers..

UncanneyXmen416.jpg

I just love this cover, his work inside the issue isnt to shabby either :(

Well... he wasnt the writer on it, just the illustrator... it looks like he did all the work on that batman book himself... Austens work on xmen is hit or miss depending on what you want, i dont mind it most of the times, its quite character building and i personally liked the direction hes taken juggernaught even if some say its out of character, and recently things have gotten even more interestin with what hes doing with him.

I guess if you really want to see his work, there this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...1493626-9239859

the tpb of the run he did (dominant species, alrigh story line i guess, as it introduces us to angels secondary mutation... correct me if im wrong here, i think this is the first time it maifests and he knows what to do...)

I just realised i have some more of his work, the wonderful starwars phantom menace manga was drawn by him as well :(

Any more news on the Iron Man film other than Tom Cruise wants to do it? Also, Green Lantern is teh suq. A weakness to yellow? Christ, at least Stark and Wayne's weaknesses are pussy and liquor.

Green Lantern is not 'teh suc'.

How dare you.

And besides, the weakness to the colour yellow is a thing of great depth. Wonderful.

Anyway, who's going to be the resident Marvel, Indies, Manga people? Putting in some serious time on these fronts? Volunteers? I know for a fact that Dotterel knows his Daredevil back to front.

How dare you.

And besides, the weakness to the colour yellow is a thing of great depth. Wonderful.

Anyway, who's going to be the resident Marvel, Indies, Manga people? Putting in some serious time on these fronts? Volunteers? I know for a fact that Dotterel knows his Daredevil back to front.

heh thats the thing i guess, you can know all about one particlar line and nowt about the others as theres so much.... you could get complicated and split the divsions even further... i dont know... id offer myself for marvel if no-one else does, but im lacking in some areas of it....

Maybe Xmen i could handle, as well as some slave labour titles... lenore and bear :(

I exclusively read stuff that my comic loving mate gives to me.

I just read ministry of space, global frequency and 100 bullets vol. 3 and 4.

All aces. The Garth Ennis nick fury mini series was a recent highlight too.

:(

Same as me really, I have a Ministry of Space here, and the first volume of 100 Bullets - yet to read as I'm ploughing through other stuff!

I have a DC question, well, more of a query.

I used to buy the Animated Batman Adventures which was great.

Then the Animated Batman & Robin Adventures which was even better.

Then it decided to become shit and oercomplicated with Gotham Adventures so I stopped buying.

Is it still going or have the reverted again?

Also the original three working on it - Puckett, Parobeck, Burchett - hae they done anything else of real note.

Ta.

How come everyone in the comic industry colaborates so much? I don't think it's a bad thing, everyone should work together etc. But, it does seem odd. Pat Lee spends an aweful lot of time drawing for Marvel considering he owns, what I presume is, a rival company. There are of course many other examples. Is the comic industry one big Utopia where everyone gets along?

Another question. While the current X-force story isn't too bad, where does it fit into the Marvel universe chronology? In this Cable is hanging out with X-force and is apparently in a weakened stae. While in Cable and Deadpool, which rocks, mostly for Deadpool, he's seriously kicking ass and seems more powerful than ever.

I've been reading pretty much all the X-men series and spin offs for a while now. Not sure I'd be up to writing extensively about them though.

I'd really like to know whats up with Juggernaut these days. Last I heard he joined the X-Men, and Cyttorak started holding back his powers.

Juggernaught badly summed up over the last few years...

Click For Spoiler
He did/has join the xmen, and his powers seem somewhat diminished for some reason (im unsure why, im sure its expalined somewhere). During his time with the xmen he has tried to gain the trust of them, but some were really unwilling to believe he could be good all of a sudden (iceman particularly) and he made freinds with a young boy with a fish face who he has become close too... this is where it gets messed up... black tom was thought dead due to his secondary mutation (iceman frooze him and he exploded or something) but recently he has shown up with a new brotherhood of mutants, and juggernaught seems to have defected back to them, but when the young boy is killed juggernaught is quite miffed and um thats where its up to so far.. all this has happened over the last 2-3 years i think. So its still hard to tell his true intentions, is be going to go back to being a badass, does he really want the good life? :) i dont know.

How dare you.

Shouldn't any Green Lanterns who make their way to Earth, like, die? Isn't Superman endowed with his powers because of Earth's yellow sun? Or am I mixing it up? Anyway, just bean GL around the bonce with a yellow plank, as isn't one of the GLs weak to wood? I liked the appearance in Red Son though, an entire corps of them was an interesting idea. How did they forge so many rings so quickly?

Any more news on the Iron Man .

Whats his real name?

And whats Grant Morrisons Invisibles like?

Lately i've been reading Astonishing X-Men which is fucking way tubular i'd like to diversify a bit i've read 100 Bullets Second chance book which i liked, Trasmetropolitan looks good to

And whats Grant Morrisons Invisibles like?

I’m a huge Grant Morrison fan, but I found The Invisibles heavy going. It started with a really bad arc and took nearly a year to recover. It covers every wild theme you’d expect from GM chaos magic, the Illuminati, Discordianism, gnosticism, secret societies, conspiracy theories etc.

I was only ever interested in 2 of the main characters (Dane and King Mob) so I didn’t really dig a lot of the plots and the constantly changing artists didn’t help. I read an interview with GM somewhere where he said The Invisibles was the work he was most proud of and that it was ‘the ultimate Grant Morrison comic’, But I never ‘got it’.

http://www.barbelith.com/bomb/ is an excellent Invisible resource, but it’s a spoiler-fest if you haven’t read the books.

JLA and his work on New X-Men are still my favourite Grant Morrison comics.

That said, compared to Sea Guy it’s a masterpiece.

Iron Man is usually Tony Stark, but his best friend Jim Rhodes donned the armour when Stark couldn't (His alcoholic lifestyle meant the suit couldn't read his brainwaves and thus couldn't move).

That is fucking awesome stuff. And cheers Silent Runner.

Okay, I figured seeing as I'd just volunteered, I might as well actually put my words where my... fingers... are and actually write something. So, I'm going to share with you my favourite - and a not very well known - manga series that's just started to get a western release.

Kare Kano

First of all - yes, it's a series designed for girls. But unless you're particularly gender-insecure, that's a moot point. Yes, it's about a high-school romance but it's so beautifully done, and has such wonderful and well rounded characters, that everyone can appreciate it.

3213.jpg

I suppose the best way of describing it to you is to give you the blurb from the book (edited a bit so that there's at least SOME surprises in it):

"Yukino Miyazawa is the perfect model student. Pretty, kind, good at sports, always at the top of her class. But she's not all she seems. It's all an act of deception; she is really the self-confessed 'queen of vanity,' and her only goal in life is winning the praise and admiration of everyone around her.

When she enters high school, she finally meets her match: Soichiro Arima, a handsome, athletic, popular, and very intelligent young boy. Ever since he stole the top seat in the class from her, Yukino has hated him, and has been plotting on how to take back her former place as the object of all other students' admiration.

What she wasn't expecting, however, was that Soichiro, the very boy she hated, would confess his love for her. Or that he would find out about her deception, and not be all he seems himself...".

The drawing isn't always of an amazing standard, but the story of their growing relationship, the troubles they face and their lives outside of each other is really touching. They're backed up by a great supporting cast, partly for comic effect and partly because some of them have equally touching side-stories as a great breakup in the Yukino-Soichiro love story.

Kare Kano was made into a 26-episode anime series by GAINAX and directed by Hideaki Anno (the director of Neon Genesis Evangelion). I've actually only read the first volume of the manga but I've seen almost all of the series and they're quite closely linked, although the anime - thanks to Anno's writing involvement - is better written and more emotional. Unfortunately, thanks to GAINAX's "one season ONLY" policy it gets a bit crowded towards the end as they try and squash some arcs into the final few episodes, whereas the manga currently stands at 14 volumes and growing rapidly.

So anyway. Um, it's been a bit of a ramble, but try it out. It's pretty tough to find but Travelling Man stores usually have it. I promise it's great.

Shouldn't any Green Lanterns who make their way to Earth, like, die? Isn't Superman endowed with his powers because of Earth's yellow sun? Or am I mixing it up? Anyway, just bean GL around the bonce with a yellow plank, as isn't one of the GLs weak to wood? I liked the appearance in Red Son though, an entire corps of them was an interesting idea. How did they forge so many rings so quickly?

Alan Scott was the GL with the Wood aversion

Most others GLs (Hal, Guy, John Steward era) were affected by yellow because of an impurity in the main battery back on Oa (home planet of the universal guardians, founders of the GL corps)

This has been worked out recently.

Remember. Essential reading:

Emerald Dawn

Emerald Dawn 2

Crimson Dawn

In that order ;)

Oh, and any of the Greens (lantern and arrow) American road trips from the 70s ;)

Kyle's a pussy, Hal's back from the dead. Guy's a warrior, whatever that is, and G'nort should be put down.

Whatever happened to Kilowog? :ph34r:

There's a strong theory that the 'weakness to yellow' was invented by the Guardians in order to safeguard the corps' sanity. Power without limitation could lead to an inability to control one's will.

See Emerald Twilight for a perfect example of Green Lantern madness.