IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Surely Hal Jordan is the epitomy of Green Lantern bonkers-ness.

Pity about Juggernaut, I liked him as he was.

Take that back. Hal only flipped out because of what happened to Coast City.

Mind you, there was Sinestro... and the old timer... and John wigged out... and Guy was NEVER mentally stable...

But still! :P

Yup.

The ring is a very dangerous thing. Particularly if you were a Lantern who didn't buy the weakness to yellow rule.

If you don't believe it, it doesn't exist. That's my theory. It's all willpower, after all.

Green Lantern: Rebirth is on the go. Expect a review by yours truly very soon.

2106_400x600.jpg

Kare Kano

I read voume 1 of Kare Kano about 2 weeks ago. It's really quite good if you're into that sort of genre.

Anyways I'm currently reading Manga-wise.

PLANETES by Makoto Yukimura

4875.gif

Basically it's set in the near future and is about a team of Space Debris collectors. The main character is Hachimaki who basically wants to have his own spaceship. The story follows Hachimaki and his team as they deal with the troubles of space debris collection, terrorists, trying to smoke and the loneliness of space. Later volumes deal with Hachimaki's inner turmoil as he tries to figure out why he wants to be in space and his belief that Astronauts live alone and die alone. These scenes are played out in his dreams.

The artwork is more realistic than most manga, which lends to the character focused story.

Overall it's a manga I really enjoy and I'm looking forward to Volume 4 in November.

Trigun and Trigun Maximum by Yasuhiro Nightow

12867.jpg

You may ask why I put two titles in there (probably not). It's because Trigun was originally published in a weekly comic that went bankrupt and so, with the story incomplete, Trigun moved to another weekly comic with the title Trigun Maximum since the original title couldn't be used.

Anyways Trigun follows the adventures of a man called Vash the Stampede, a man with a $$60 Billion dollar bounty on his head and the nickname "The Humanoid Typhoon".

This criminal has wiped out entire towns, has scars over his entire body and has a fetish for donuts. Except he's a kind hearted person who is constantly getting into trouble while trying to protect every life he can; his enemies included. The main enemy is a man called Knives and a gang called the Gung-Ho Guns. It's set on a desert planet BTW.

There's quite a few mysteries: why can't Vash kill, where did the technology that the towns need to survive come from, what is Vash's relation to Knives and so forth.

I really like it to be honest. Oh and an Anime series was spawned from it as well.

Other stuff I'm reading that I'll say more about later are:

Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles

Xxxholic

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Excellent idea for a thread.

I read a bit of everything. I'd put my hand up for Marvel but I only get to my comics shop (it's decent enough for me to resist giving my cash to the one far, far closer) every four weeks or so.

Right: well, I'm looking forward to Green Lantern: Rebirth. I had thought of jumping aboard the GL title earlier but figured I'd wait until this to start. I can't quite believe Hal Jordan doing 'time' as the Spectre makes up for him being Parallax and killing everyone but I'm not up with the title enough to say.

As for Marvel, what's everyone's thoughts on New X-Men's successor 'Astonishing'? I really thought nothing would top the anticipation I had to get the latest NXM but I'm really keen to see where Whedon takes Marvel's merry mutants for the rest of his run. I've read up to the end of #4 and oh man!

Also worth a hunt down is Peter David's Madrox. I've been severely against the increased tendency to slap a big 'X' on a book (or put Wolverine in there somewhere just to have a fanboy gush and put it at the top of the best-sellers list) but this title is worth your time. The Multiple Man as private detective able to send his duplicates out to get experience, one returns close to dying. Jamie Madrox assimilates his duplicate and finds himself ready to solve his 'own' murder.

As for Marvel, what's everyone's thoughts on New X-Men's successor 'Astonishing'? I really thought nothing would top the anticipation I had to get the latest NXM but I'm really keen to see where Whedon takes Marvel's merry mutants for the rest of his run. I've read up to the end of #4 and oh man!

Also worth a hunt down is Peter David's Madrox. I've been severely against the increased tendency to slap a big 'X' on a book (or put Wolverine in there somewhere just to have a fanboy gush and put it at the top of the best-sellers list) but this title is worth your time. The Multiple Man as private detective able to send his duplicates out to get experience, one returns close to dying. Jamie Madrox assimilates his duplicate and finds himself ready to solve his 'own' murder.

Ill second both those recomendations, astonishing is one of my favourite titles at the moment, I was blow away by the first issue and it just keeps getting better.

Madrox seems like it has potential as well, i quite enjoyed the furst issue, good noirish detective romp ahead.

I recently picked up the free reprint of Peter Davids Fallen Angel, that too seem like a very good title. theres a tpb out now, that i might pick up to get upto speed.

i want to know why Superman turned blue for a while, then seemed to turn back? what made him do this? i've read loads of Superman but i just cant remember why this happened.

grant morrison's Rock of Ages storyline is my favourite JLA. i like it when they get all intergalactic.

i'm a huge fan of The Invisibles. i've got all the TPBs and read them loads of times. its great if your into conspiracy theories as it pack just about every one of them in. some of the storylines at the start are a bit weak but it is definitely worth ploughing through them to get to the really crazy shit that starts to happen towards the end.

for me The Invisibles was a starting point from which i learned about a whole load of other stuff i found very interesting. you can pick one of grant's theories and read up on it on the internet.

So was Sandman in fact - one of those 2 is probably my favourite comic series. i generally like the magicky stuff better than the superhero stuff. Sandman, Lucifer, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Preacher, a lot of Batman stuff (although there is quite a bit i don't like).

also: actually i'm going to start a Neil Gaiman thread.

Trigun and Trigun Maximum by Yasuhiro Nightow

Ugh. I saw the first episode of the anime and absolutely hated it. The person showing it to me went "isn't it great?" and I couldn't even be polite. "No, it was shit, without a single redeeming feature."

Still, I 'spose the manga might be better...

Ugh. I saw the first episode of the anime and absolutely hated it. The person showing it to me went "isn't it great?" and I couldn't even be polite. "No, it was shit, without a single redeeming feature."

Still, I 'spose the manga might be better...

It is. It's less bad guy of the week, more character development.

Of course it may be that you just don't like it. :lol:

Reading The Death of Superman TPB got me into comics in a big way in the mid-90's. I read pretty much every Superman up until the Red/Blue saga and bought loads of back issues as well. The Justice League link made me branch out into others such as Guy Gardner, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Justice League International/Europe, and the odd Batman as well.

I then got into Image for a while and still get the odd comic from Top Cow. The Darkness was probably one of my favourite series.

One day, I will re-read EVERYTHING! Just have to find a few months to spare.

Tell me of some good online comic shops where I can order all these great titles from?

I really want to read the alternate Soviet Superman timeline and pick up a ludicrous amount of Uncanny X-Men back issues.

Congratulations on beating me to that request.

I was well into the Time and Time again Superman thing of many years ago but I missed some issues, ran out of money, started trying to collect Akira comics and ran out of money even faster. I would really like to get into comics again.

Did the Blood Syndicate comics ever go anywhere? I had the first two or three of them and liked their style.

Congratulations on beating me to that request.

I was well into the Time and Time again Superman thing of many years ago but I missed some issues, ran out of money, started trying to collect Akira comics and ran out of money even faster. I would really like to get into comics again.

Did the Blood Syndicate comics ever go anywhere? I had the first two or three of them and liked their style.

I've got the collected Time After Time somewhere... 20p from the library B)

Would you like to see it?

Ahh, comics. I grew up with them and its fair to say they had more influence on me than games,films or novels.

I stopped collecting in around 1993. I was poor back then and comics seemed to be getting very naff on the whole.

I've tried to get "back into" comics a few times since then. All attempts to collect a monthly series have been a complete failure. Trade paperbacks have fared a bit better and this is now how I purchase my comics. Still, it seems that its extremely difficult to "get into" comics nowadays. Comic shops are rare indeed and you have little idea if what you are buying is good or not. Plus, as somebody else mentioned, they aren't cheap. I have a family, mortgage, gaming addicition and a love of good food to pay for. It seems that if you aren't a bit gothic and prepared to spend hours chatting to the dudes in the comic shop then its very hard to understand what comics are about nowadays.

Then, there is the fact that comics just aren't as good as they were in the 80's and early 90s. I must have just been lucky to have grown up in the era of Watchmen, Electra Assasin, Doom Patrol, Sandman, Black Orchid, Miracleman, The Dark Knight Returns, Hellblazer, Green Arrow, Batman Year One, Halo Jones, V For Vendetta etc etc.

Despite my little moan I have been interested in comics again recently, partly to stop me buying too many games that I'll never complete. I was looking in Ottakars yesterday and there were a number of trade paperbacks that interested me. I was going to pick up a couple yesterday, but bought a book instead. I'll probably buy some this weekend - so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

In short - this thread is a good idea.

Well, if you can find it (and it's incredibly hard to do so, as he hasn't really done an issue for a few years now), Strangehaven was one of the best independants out there.

Think Twin Peaks, mixed with the Archers, and you kind of have the idea. Problem was that as typifies a UK indie, Gary Millidge just didn't get the sales to do it on a bi-monthly regime, and even his played quarterly issues, have been slightly touch and go. But. If you're ever in GOSH (opposite British Museum in London - a place I've frequented for about 20 years now), you should be able to find the two collected editions of the issues published so far. Great stuff.

I'm also a great, great fan of Scott Morse's work, and Soulwind is his magnum opus. Absolutely wonderful stuff, beautifully written and illustrated, it's a mix of sci-fi, fairies, and myth.

It comes now in a huge (400 page-ish) tome, and is about 15 quid.

Another independant which you won't find in that many places would be Thieves & Kings, by Mark Oakley. Pretty much pure fantasy stuff. Artwork is black and white and somewhat simillar to manga, and can jarr a little with the quite brilliant landscaping artwork which he does, but the story is strong, and it's certainly worth a look.

I would have recommended my own comic book 'C-Movie', but as only one issue ever came out, and it wasn't distributed particularly well, I'll say no more about it.

Apart from the fact that it had a time travelling hippy in it, and a game called 'fish'.

ahem

where should someone start if they want to read up on the Green Lantern stuff? i know he's been around for a long time in various guises. is there a list of definitive TPBs that would give a n00b a chance to catch up?

The Emerald Dawn TPB is a good one.

And there's Hardback Green Lantern Archives books too.

But you'll be interested in Post-Crisis Green Lantern, so Emerald Dawn is the best place to start.

I really want to read the alternate Soviet Superman timeline and pick up a ludicrous amount of Uncanny X-Men back issues.

Superman: Red Son is excellent. Speaking as someone who hates Superman the reimaginings of the DC cast were great.

Biglime: cheers for the GL recommendations. With Rebirth coming up, I'm after a good jumping on point too.

alright then, I have, for free, 13 comic bags and boards for the first person who PMs me. Was going to put in in the free thread, but this seemed more appropriate.

Oh, and don't use an online store for comics, support your local comic shop and befriend the staff.