The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

Thanks to whoever recommended Monstress in this thread. Only just started but I'm intrigued by the setting - it features world building on a scale and quality I'd associate with good fantasy novels - and I'm in awe of the unbelievably gorgeous art. It's so beautiful.

On 18/12/2019 at 04:30, Flub said:

The Five Years Later Omni? That's probably the single worst place you could start :) It's also my fave LSH

Seconding this…though for bonus points, this was my first exposure to LSH, and I started with issues #25-30. Total madness.

(Ordered the omni despite owning 1-38 because it's really really good…you just have to hang in there ;). And look, issue #5 was a big deal at the time…but must be 100% impenetrable to new readers these days)

Finished Arkham Asylum the other day. It was so beautifully drawn and interesting that I was sure I’d declare it a stone cold classic. But then it kind of fizzles out at the end with a Tharg’s Future Shocks ending you could have done in just a few pages.

Still very good, but lacking true depth. Probably one of the best drawn comics I’ve ever read though.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Just done 20 issues of Harrow County over two days!

Whoever recommended the title THANK YOU!

Give's me the feels that the original Hellboy did with some old south which i used to love during 100 Bullets. 

That were me I believe. Thank you for listening to me and reading it. 

I have the last volume to read but it’s an xmas pressie so I’ll be finishing it this week. 

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, cassidy said:

That were me I believe. Thank you for listening to me and reading it. 

I have the last volume to read but it’s an xmas pressie so I’ll be finishing it this week. 

That's a shame to know that it has finished but will stop me from talking to you about it until i know when your done incase i end up ahead of you. 

Do what this man says and read this!

Anyone that likes classic Mignola-Verse stuff etc should give this series a shot, possibly one of the best i have read in a while.

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

That's a shame to know that it has finished but will stop me from talking to you about it until i know when your done incase i end up ahead of you. 

Do what this man says and read this!

Anyone that likes classic Mignola-Verse stuff etc should give this series a shot, possibly one of the best i have read in a while.

Read Locke and Key

• Upvote 1

So having nearly finished the superb tv series and having a big Watchmen hard-on, what other stuff is good and worth reading please? If it’s poop I’d rather not tarnish what I already love but happy to try some ‘average’ stuff in case it happens to really appeal to me.

6 hours ago, DC said:

So having nearly finished the superb tv series and having a big Watchmen hard-on, what other stuff is good and worth reading please? If it’s poop I’d rather not tarnish what I already love but happy to try some ‘average’ stuff in case it happens to really appeal to me.

"Before Watchmen" which served as a prequel to Watchmen. Each mini highlighted a different character or aspect. Several creators worked on the project. None of them named Alan Moore.

Your mileage may vary.

Tom Strong by Alan Moore and Chris Sprouse It's not similar to Watchmen, it's the polar opposite of Watchmen, it's how Moore believes a modern Superhero should be.

Miracle Man, Moore's original deconstruction of Super-heroes, some say it's better than watchmen.

The Minutemen section of Before Watchmen is really good and worth picking up, and feels like it actually adds something to the original comic (although bear in mind it's not consistent with the TV series), but the rest of them are pretty poor. 

I came in here hoping people were talking about Watchmen. I'm re-reading it at the moment, as inspired by the TV program. I guess I last read it about 16 years ago?

Incredibly, it seems more relevant now in the light of the huge success of the MCU, Trump, the alt-right and general fear around. I guess this is what makes it timeless. I'm also noticing small details in the artwork and I think a lot of the visual and literal imagery, including puns, went over my head the first time I read it. I think I found the extended bits of writing and the Black Freighter a distraction the first time but now I can't get over how clever it is.  It's so rich and dense with themes it makes my head spin.

Can any recommend an essay, or lecture, about other things that are probably going over my head?

On 12 July 2019 at 09:05, cassidy said:

Monstress is a bit good isn't it. Stunning artwork. Haven't got a clue what's happening so far but I'm intrigued. 

What, someone other than me is actually reading this? Yeah, I like the art style - picking up the trades, myself; I'm getting a Michael Moorcock crossed with HP Lovecraft vibe from it.

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

I came in here hoping people were talking about Watchmen. I'm re-reading it at the moment, as inspired by the TV program. I guess I last read it about 16 years ago?

Incredibly, it seems more relevant now in the light of the huge success of the MCU, Trump, the alt-right and general fear around. I guess this is what makes it timeless. I'm also noticing small details in the artwork and I think a lot of the visual and literal imagery, including puns, went over my head the first time I read it. I think I found the extended bits of writing and the Black Freighter a distraction the first time but now I can't get over how clever it is.  It's so rich and dense with themes it makes my head spin.

Can any recommend an essay, or lecture, about other things that are probably going over my head?

There’s Watchmen annotated which’s sounds like exactly what you need.  

10 hours ago, smac said:

What, someone other than me is actually reading this? Yeah, I like the art style - picking up the trades, myself; I'm getting a Michael Moorcock crossed with HP Lovecraft vibe from it.

I just picked up all 4 volumes in the Comixology sale. Just finished the first and starting the second - yeah, it's pretty great. The art is gorgeous, but the writing is equal excellent. 

• Upvote 1

Been given New 52 Swamp Thing volume 4 by my partner, she got confused (her minds not what is was before she had to undergo chemo) as she knew I had 1-3 of Alan Moores Swamp Thing, is it essential that I get 1-3 before tackling this one as I understand the writers changed part way through the new 52 run? (I don't want any comments on its quality)

• Empathy 1
2 hours ago, wev said:

Been given New 52 Swamp Thing volume 4 by my partner, she got confused (her minds not what is was before she had to undergo chemo) as she knew I had 1-3 of Alan Moores Swamp Thing, is it essential that I get 1-3 before tackling this one as I understand the writers changed part way through the new 52 run? (I don't want any comments on its quality)

All of Scott Synder’s New 52 Swamp Thing is all collected in one deluxe hardcover, and it’s pretty damn good too.

9 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

All of Scott Synder’s New 52 Swamp Thing is all collected in one deluxe hardcover, and it’s pretty damn good too.

This one's written by Charles Soule rather than Snyder

My lovely wife got me a tablet for Christmas, so I can feel a comixology splurge coming on. I think immortal hulk first, since everyone raves about it. I take it it doesn't matter that I've never read a hulk comic before? I like the look of Monstress as well, so that's on the list. Then I'm going to browse and hopefully not spend too much..