rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

Just wanna recommend this Cartoonist Kayfabe (Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg) video because this man's collection (Warren Bernard) is staggering in its depth and rarity. 

It's 2 and a half hours long but Imo not long enough.  Should point out its not just comics. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

@cassidy Amazing. Makes me sad that the future of comics is almost certainly digital. 

It's certainly not for me, but I'm probably still part of the problem by only buying Omnis and hardcovers and Absolutes. 

The industry needs to take a step back and stop doing bloody variant covers by the hundreds Imo. It's not the 90's anymore and that is just as damaging to comics Imo. 

• Upvote 2

I think the biggest problem the big 2 (3?) have is that singles cost far, far, far too much for what you get. It's a dwindling market that's getting ever smaller.

6 minutes ago, Flub said:

I think the biggest problem the big 2 (3?) have is that singles cost far, far, far too much for what you get. It's a dwindling market that's getting ever smaller.

Best I spend some money then! Just set up 20 ongoing subs, paying weekly. Can’t wait to read me some comics again! Funnily enough it’s 6 years to the day that I sold my collection....worst decision I ever made

10 minutes ago, Flub said:

The cost of singles now is just ridiculous, Marvel particularly are quite happy to charge 6 dollars for a single issue that only contains 32 pages.  

No wonder so many young people are now buying manga instead as for that same price, you can buy a volume of say My Hero Academia which will have almost 200 pages.

I only buy hardcovers or big thick trades like the Marvel Epic collections these days, not only are singles too expensive, finding somewhere to store them all is a real pain in the arse when you start to build up any kind of decent collection.

• Upvote 1

Yup. Manga (Especially for up and coming comic fans) is an excellent value proposition. Even moreso once you go digital and start partaking in Comixology sales.

I've curtailed my singles buying a lot recently. The stuff from the big 2 just generally isn't worth it. Smaller publishers and trades get my money these days. I've also started reading more manga. I pay something like 25 quid a year for everything Shonen Jump puts out and a massive back catalogue.

I think Marvel have realised this hence their Unlimited service. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they added an extra tier to that for day and date singles. I just wish the app and their servers weren't dogshit. Far too many times I'll load up an issue, get a couple of pages and then nothing until I back out and reload it. It's frustrating.

The big 2 are just treading water these days. Constant resets and endless events. Yes you do get some very good comics in there but to be honest most of it is a waste of time. Given the prices they charge there's also far too many titles.

• Upvote 3

My zero hour crisis in time omni has arrived. Just how low should I put those expectations so I get some enjoyment out of it? As I have never read it before. 

I still love buying hardback collections and quirky oversize stuff like Chris Ware, I even got intto completing the single sets of Archie Horror stuff, but to my mind there’s no competition with digital when it comes to reading the stuff. In fact my ipad pro and ComiXology are the single reason I am reading more comics now than I have for probably the past thirty years.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, cassidy said:

My zero hour crisis in time omni has arrived. Just how low should I put those expectations so I get some enjoyment out of it? As I have never read it before. 

It was ok at the time i dont know how well it holds up. 

Depends what else youve read from that time i should imagine. 

Bruce isnt Batman at that point if i remember rightly and a few other big characters were different as well.

Its ok and remember once youve read it to google about the changes dc made to it last minute,. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

I enjoyed it at the time (And during a recent reread). It was a fun time because by that point people were heartily sick of one universe and Zero Hour gave us a brief, delicious taste of weird shit again. Also the final whiteout issues of each title were often powerful.

Also it marked the end of the very long initial run of LSH with a very emotional last issue (After the tantalisingly brief return of the original pocket universe Superboy)

Even though it finished last year currently Giant Days is my comic of the year (Wot I read). Very, very funny.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I still love buying hardback collections and quirky oversize stuff like Chris Ware, I even got intto completing the single sets of Archie Horror stuff, but to my mind there’s no competition with digital when it comes to reading the stuff. In fact my ipad pro and ComiXology are the single reason I am reading more comics now than I have for probably the past thirty years.

I’m the opposite, I spend most of my life looking at a screen, for me there’s no better feeling than a comic dropping through your door and reading it cover to cover, in your hand

• Upvote 2

Oh man X-Force is probably my favourite title to come out of this x-men reboot. 

Always loved me some x-force but this book is stella and i love how hank mccoy is taking on his role considering how anti x-force he has been in the past. 

• Upvote 1

Conversely, right now I’m all about New Mutants aka Roberto Da Costa and Illyana Rasputin’s Amazing Space Adventure. The characters are so fun that I don’t even mind all the Shi’ar stuff, despite usually hating it.

X-Force has proved surprisingly good too though, loved Dom cutting loose and Forge’s funky Wooden Gear suit.

I've found myself buying singles and then pirating them on my ipad on the bus to try and clear the backlog. Best of no worlds at all :seanr: 

Anyone reading The current Kylo Ren comic? I nearly died laughing when the leader of the knights of ren revealed his face 

Spoiler

Despite his comically scarred body he looks like 90s magneto without the helmet. Beautiful unblemished square jawed man with flowing white hair

It reminded me of the guy from the mad max episode of Rick and Morty

45 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

How do you guys store your comics? Them comic boxes you can get on eBay?

Hard disk.

26 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

i use a box from Really Useful Boxes.

Plastic, stackable and air tight. 

You lot would have a fit if you saw my 400 high stack of unbagged and unboarded comics. That fills one of my cupboards.(mainly mid aughts marvel) 

I do have a box of 90's delights bagged and boarded in the atic mind. Lots of foils covers including all of age of apocalypse and the first 32 issues of Spawn, some Invisibles and Preacher.

Though my issue one of that is lost in my house some fucking where. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

I use the same for my collected editions as well.

I need a new one. They fill quickly when you have an addiction :lol:

Just now, cassidy said:

I need a new one. They fill quickly when you have an addiction :lol:

My one is nearly full too, I dread to think how quickly I will fill that one up when I finally have some money.

On 07/01/2020 at 17:42, Flub said:

Even though it finished last year currently Giant Days is my comic of the year (Wot I read). Very, very funny.

I absolutely love John Allison.

Thought the ending of Giant Days was a bit... off kilter, though. I mean, I didn't hate it, and it didn't spoil the series for me at all, just... odd.

Anyone on here read four kids walk into a bank by Rosenberg.

Heard its a cracker just wondering what the forums opinion of it is? 

Same thing for These Savage shores? 

54 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Anyone on here read four kids walk into a bank by Rosenberg.

Heard its a cracker just wondering what the forums opinion of it is? 

Same thing for These Savage shores? 

Four kids is brilliant, as is I find all the comics he writes for Marvel these days as well.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Four kids is brilliant, as is I find all the comics he writes for Marvel these days as well.

Think there's a hardcover due so I'll nab that, cheers @Charliemouse