rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

16 minutes ago, dug said:

Monstress is a bit special, isn't it? Read book 1 and immediately bought book 2. Really enjoyed it, particularly the fantastic art. Is it an ongoing series or does it have an ending?

It is indeed rather brilliant and gorgeous. Bought volume 1 in the current (recent?) Comixology sale and immediately bought the other three volumes. I wondered the same thing but didn't dare to Google it for fear of spoilers. Having finished volume 4 last night, I can confirm that it's not the final volume.

Volume 4 goes up to issue 24 and issue 25 is out later this month. It does feel like either volume 5 or 6 will be the final one though.

• Upvote 1

I didn't get on with Monstress for some reason. So my hardcover is only 3/4's read. 

And I have no clue why. The art is utterly stunning mind. 

Sumptuous is how I'd describe the art. I don't often use that word, but it fits perfectly in this case.

3 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I didn't get on with Monstress for some reason. So my hardcover is only 3/4's read. 

And I have no clue why. The art is utterly stunning mind. 

The story is great imo, but it's the world building that makes it. But at the same time the world building is detailed and dense - I can see people bouncing off that, maybe? Maybe give it another shot sometime?

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The story is great imo, but it's the world building that makes it. But at the same time the world building is detailed and dense - I can see people bouncing off that, maybe? Maybe give it another shot sometime?

Oh I'll revisit and I appreciated the world building and the chapter ends with the cats and the history.  I think it was a big too JRPG and I like that in my games not my comics.

Yeah that's what it is. 

I'm very tempted by the big hardback edition of issues 1-18. Even though the whole reason I got a tablet in the first place was to stop buying so many physical comics and books. :unsure:

2 minutes ago, dug said:

I'm very tempted by the big hardback edition of issues 1-18. Even though the whole reason I got a tablet in the first place was to stop buying so many physical comics and books. :unsure:

Join us!!!  Thats the one I have. It is lovely mind as are most image oversized hardcovers. 

Yeah, I've got the Saga ones and they're really nice, so I've no doubt the Monstress one will be a gorgeous edition. But my precious shelf space...

Anybody reading any of the Hill House comics? 

(Basketful of Heads, Dollhouse Family, Low Low Woods etc)

They strike me as right up my street, any good?

I've just read Immortal Hulk volume 5, which goes up to #25, Breaker of Worlds. It was all good, of course, but I have no idea whatsoever what that last issue was all about. Could someone explain it please? Or will it all become clear in the coming issues?

47 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Anybody reading any of the Hill House comics? 

(Basketful of Heads, Dollhouse Family, Low Low Woods etc)

They strike me as right up my street, any good?

Not yet waiting for collections. But it's parked outside my house that's how far up my street it is. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Darren said:

I've just read Immortal Hulk volume 5, which goes up to #25, Breaker of Worlds. It was all good, of course, but I have no idea whatsoever what that last issue was all about. Could someone explain it please? Or will it all become clear in the coming issues?

Isn't it just ominous potential foreshadowing that if left unchecked on his current course, Bruce/Devil is going to become the last man standing at the end of this universe and become a rampaging cosmic horror in the next that makes Galactus look like Sharon from Marketing in comparison. But it's okay because Sam Sterns knows the score and will save the day.

Maybe.

• Upvote 1

@Joystick Chevron got there before I did! Just to add some further detail for @Darren:

Spoiler

Galactus is Galactus because he was the last living being at the end of the previous universe and was reborn as the planet devourer in the current one. As Metatron said to Bruce a few issues back, Franklin Richards is supposed to be the last man standing in the current universe. But something is wrong. Instead, Devil Hulk is standing there. He eats Metatron and that's the last we see of the future until issue 25.

Issue 25 takes place in the new universe. To be precise, towards the end of the lifespan of that universe. We learn that the planets and stars are almost all gone. Destroyed. Not eaten, as Galactus would do, but smashed.

Galactus turned into the planet devourer as the last living being of his universe. The Hulk instead turned into the world breaker - a nickname that he received during the Planet Hulk saga. But we learn that that being is not the Hulk... It's the One Below All. The deity from the 'Hulk in Hell' saga. We learn that the Hulk is now literally an empty shell, he has been eaten away from inside out by the One Below All. And that's who met and ate Metatron at the end of everything. Something went wrong in the future, but we don't know what except that the Hulk is no more except as an empty shell.

The last surviving beings manage to send a message through time, just as The One Below All breaks the last planet. That message travels so far back, that it ends up in current times, in the current universe. None other than the Hulk's biggest enemy, his Joker / Lex Luthor / Green Goblin so to speak, intercepts it. The Leader has the warning from the future, and coincidentally he's also one of the few people in the world who's capable of deciphering and understanding it. This is building up to something big

Spoiled for those still catching up.

Edit: if you go back and re-read Immortal Hulk from the start after re-reading and understanding what 25 is about, you'll notice that the hints are there from the get-go. All the talk of the Hulk as a Qliphoth during Hulk in Hell makes sense.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

Great stuff! Thanks @Joystick Chevronand @Mr. Gerbik. I just didn’t know enough Marvel universe lore to even realise that those aliens were in another universe (I knew Galactus as a big baddie from some comics in the 70s, probably Fantastic Four, but not who he actually was or how he came to be). Or who the chap at the end who received the message was. Up to now the series has been really good at catering to people like me but issue 25 threw me completely. It’s not going to stop me reading though.

@Darren no problem. For more Ewing space stuff and Galactus lore, read his Ultimates and Ultimates 2. It's a great read, but the second book gets bogged down by stupid Marvel crossover events. Still recommended nonetheless.

For an excellent Leader story which should give you an idea of who he is, read Hulk: Visionaries - Peter David volume 1 and Volume 2. The art starts out really wonky with a very young Todd McFarlane shamelessly swiping from John Byrne, but improves very rapidly. These two books together form one my favourite Hulk sagas: Countdown. If you're hooked on it by then, just keep reading because David stayed on the book for 12 years (!)*. His Hulk is the biggest inspiration for Ewing's current Immortal Hulk.  

*And it would have been longer if Marvel editorial hadn't fucked him over and forced him out. His final issue had a character recounting future events, as a kind of summary of all the big things he still had planned. Bastards.

Edit: fixed the links.

• Upvote 1

Isn’t the Peter David Omni that arrives at the end the month the perfect jumping on point though for those wanting to read the best hulk has to offer? Granted it isn’t cheap

Im ignoring it until I’m cash rich at the end of March. 

I want an X factor by Peter David omni though. Love that run. Best Madrox ever. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Isn’t the Peter David Omni that arrives at the end the month the perfect jumping on point though for those wanting to read the best hulk has to offer? Granted it isn’t cheap

I had no idea! :o I just googled it and yeah, that's indeed a perfect jumping on point for his run. In fact, it's even better than all previous paperbacks because it includes issue 328.

David became the regular writer from 331 onwards, and that's where all previous paperbacks start. But before that he did 328 as a fill-in issue, maybe as proof that he could do it, I don't know.

Anyway, he started strong with 328! It's completely standalone but the basic premise is: Bruce Banner, alone in the desert contemplating suicide. For someone who has lived with that curse for so long, why hasn't he ended it all long ago? 

331 is where David starts proper, but because in the first two or so issues he's mostly cleaning up the mess the previous writers left (Rick Jones as a new, skinny Hulk with hippie hair for example :seanr: ) between setting up his own ideas, it's a weaker start. But issue 328 is quite something, and I never understood why it was never included in all the collected editions.

Damn you for pointing this out, I'm 100% digital because of real life space issues and now because that David run is some of my favourite comics of all time you got me all tempted and shit.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, cassidy said:

Anyone on here read four kids walk into a bank by Rosenberg.

Heard its a cracker just wondering what the forums opinion of it is? 

Another vote for 4 Kids… It started coming out at almost the same time as Stranger Things and it does the whole 80’s geek kids schtick so much better. Absolutely fantastic.

• Upvote 1

@Mr. Gerbik It’s his first ever Omni from Marvel so it’s hopeful they are gonna focus on him as a writer now and that X factor omni becomes a reality too.

I won’t mention that Omnis go out of print and then become very expensive to get hold of until their (if) reprinted. 

2 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Another vote for 4 Kids… It started coming out at almost the same time as Stranger Things and it does the whole 80’s geek kids schtick so much better. Absolutely fantastic.

Came out first and i still to this day wonder if Stranger Things ripped that opening from 4 Kids

6 minutes ago, cassidy said:

@Mr. Gerbik It’s his first ever Omni from Marvel so it’s hopeful they are gonna focus on him as a writer now and that X factor omni becomes a reality too.

I won’t mention that Omnis go out of print and then become very expensive to get hold of until their (if) reprinted. 

I never read any X-Factor to be honest, the entire series always passed me by. I've been planning to check it out for a long time because I love both Walt Simonson (who wrote it before) and Peter David (who followed after afaik). Crazy!

Oh and thank you for not pointing out that I need to buy that Omni as soon as possible. I have neither the money nor the space, so you'd be making it very difficult for me if you had mentioned that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I never read any X-Factor to be honest, the entire series always passed me by. I've been planning to check it out for a long time because I love both Walt Simonson (who wrote it before) and Peter David (who followed after afaik). Crazy!

Oh and thank you for not pointing out that I need to buy that Omni as soon as possible. I have neither the money nor the space, so you'd be making it very difficult for me if you had mentioned that.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Feeling devilish due to the sobriety :unsure:

I've only read bits of his Hulk run in the dim and distant past so I'd be going out in blind but you've sold it to me. His X factor run is really bloody good btw like top tier. 

I may treat myself to the Hulk if I'm still sober on payday.  

44 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Came out first and i still to this day wonder if Stranger Things ripped that opening from 4 Kids

I checked the dates, I thought there could only be a few months between the two but it was actually six. It’s unlikely they rewrote the entire opening scene but technically possible.

Either way, 4 Kids…is vastly superior.

Near Mint Condition is my most watched YouTube channel.

Omar knows his shit. I highly recommend any fan of comics check them out. 

9 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Near Mint Condition is my most watched YouTube channel.

Omar knows his shit. I highly recommend any fan of comics check them out. 

Same here, the other guys on the Omnibros show are pretty good too, but Omar is my favourite.

3 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Just to tempt you just a little bit more Mr Gerbik.

Gnnnnn this is both the best and the worst thread!

I already checked last night to be honest. In euro money it's between 110 and 125 euros, but my favoured online retailer was doing pre-orders at 95 euros. But their pre-order allocation has sold out :(

I did discover that there's also a variant out on the same day (listed as 'DM VAR') which uses the below (classic) cover instead:

Hulkv01-0345-658x1024.thumb.jpg.470fd4d0a7f3d85776ab32cf96a5fb75.jpg

Which imho looks a lot nicer :)

Fun fact, a Hulk fan I know had ordered a commission by Joe Bennett, the current Immortal Hulk artist. He requested an homage to the above cover with Devil Hulk and check it out:

IMG_20200111_083943.thumb.jpg.ba04900a291a393a4a5000569c006f76.jpg

Man, that Bennett is one talented dude! The guy had it inked and coloured by professionals:

IMG_20200111_083935.thumb.jpg.64a1f6a3a79a6421987b8cc973e8dbca.jpg

I'm very jealous, but he also paid 500 or 700 dollars or so iirc, so I would never be able to afford it anyway :lol:

Back to the Peter David Omni! It's a perfect introduction to that 12 year run because looking at that video it not only has the Countdown saga, but also the entire Joe Fixit/Vegas saga! Awesome stuff.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

Bennett’s untouched pencils are glorious there. 

Worth following his insta if you want to see more. Joe_Bennett_comics.  He posts lots of artwork there, including pencils from the Immortal Hulk comic.

Edit: added link:facepalm: