The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

Whilst I'm on the subject, has anyone here read Chiang and Azzarello's Wonder Woman? I heard that Azzarello tore up a lot of her history (especially the good bits), but Chiang's art is wonderful so I'm just wondering if his art compensates for any shortfalls in the writing.

I've only read one of the TPBs from in the middle of the Azzarello/Chiang run - "War", I think. I realise I was losing a lot by coming in in the middle of the story (but ideally every issue should be treated as someone's first, right...?), but I wasn't keen on it compared to other WW runs. I'd recommend Greg Rucka's 2002 run ahead of it. :wub:

The discussion of sound effects reminded me of one of my favourite pages of Decap Attack in Sonic the Comic. SPOK!

SBZoFpy.png

• Upvote 1

Death Metal starts next week and I'm super hyped. But it's fucking 4 quid an issue. I'll pay it for Death Metal but fuck me those prices have to change

More free Marvel comics on Comixology, as part of a celebration of black creators.

The list and links is at https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/14-free-marvel-graphic-novels-including-black-panther-at-comixllogy-digital-see-description-for-full-list-3483829

But I've also spotted that four issues of Damage Control are also free - https://www.comixology.co.uk/Damage-Control-1989-I/comics-series/58739?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

• Upvote 7
16 hours ago, Flub said:

Death Metal starts next week and I'm super hyped. But it's fucking 4 quid an issue. I'll pay it for Death Metal but fuck me those prices have to change

The DC event? I'm tempted purely because of the title, but DC events have been shit for decades now so I'm staying away.

Just now, Talvalin said:

The DC event? I'm tempted purely because of the title, but DC events have been shit for decades now so I'm staying away.

Yeah. The last Metal event was pretty nuts and fun so I have high hopes for this one. There's a Batman who's also a T-Rex if that helps any

17 hours ago, Flub said:

That's why i didn't want to see who the New Joker is fuck paying £8 for a digital fucking one shot. 

DCeased's new online series is worth it for 79p a pop and thats about all i can offer DC at the moment. 

Their missing a trick by not doing the free BLM books Marvel are doing!

DC have a gold mind of old McDuffie works they could give away, especially with Static being mainline DCU again now!

The idea behind (Death)Metal is that underneath the regular multiverse there a dark multiverse where all the really horrible shit goes to die. Only it broke and the thing that was culling the broken universes stopped working and they started getting lose (It's where the Batman Who Laughs came from). Batman found out about it and all sorts of shit happens (Lots of it linked to Hawman and his nth metal). 

It's told in the modern way and definitely doesn't feel any way shape or form 90s. However it lets them unleash all the worst possible designs for alternate earths. It's probably not worth jumping into this one if you haven't read the first given the first doesn't make much sense to start with but the first one is definitely worth picking up if you fancy it. They're often on sale.

This new one looks like they're amping the crazy notch up to 11 which for people not in the know that's an entire 1 crazier.

On 12/06/2020 at 16:47, Joystick Chevron said:

Sound effects own...but mostly when it's Walt Simonson doing them.

Did Simonson draw the sound effects in those Thor panels? When the lettering is incorporated into the artwork - especially when it appears behind the characters - it can be hard to tell who did it.

I ask because today I came across this collection, which credits them to letterer John Workman:

https://browsethestacks.tumblr.com/post/620355571489685504

I think that's my new favourite Twitter account... :wub:

• Upvote 2

Anyone reading Daredevil?

This week's issue has just tied off the latest arc in such a great way, i know all the fucking noobs on reddit are saying the end is a Bendis copy if they knew fuck all about Daredevil they would know Bendis took it from classic Frank Miller.

I'm a little out of touch as i seem to have missed a one shot or mini explaining the return of one said villain or in true Marvel style they probably returned in another title >_<

I'm reading the paperbacks and only read the first two volumes so far. No idea where it's at now but the first two volumes are excellent. Chip's writing is phenomenal on this title.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm reading the paperbacks and only read the first two volumes so far. No idea where it's at now but the first two volumes are excellent. Chip's writing is phenomenal on this title.

Chip is just awesome on anything he writes, his art for Sex Criminals is great too.

Dear lord. 90s Thor is just a trash fire. Also why on earth do they keep trying to give him secret identities? It doesn't suit the character at all and they always end up spending so much time away from the human identity that they struggle to make it believable. This was the same right from the start with Don Blake and remained the same with every single identity they tried.

So I'm three pages into O̶l̶d̶ ̶M̶a̶n̶ ̶L̶o̶g̶a̶n̶ Dark Knights Death Metal and it's already making me lol at the ridiculousness of it all.

The T-Rex oh god the T-Rex (laughing emoji x10)

• Upvote 1

As somebody who was on the WEF back in the day, this is not that much of a surprise. There was a rumour floating around of a webcam transcript that somebody put up between their girlfriend and Ellis which pretty much touched on the same bases as the stories coming out yesterday.

Ah not Ellis. Planetary is such a great piece of work it needs to be left untainted. 

Edit: that's a shit first reaction. Hopefully the women involved get the justice they've been denied to this point.