The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

37 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Wow, AT&T have gone a huge murderspree cleaning house at DC, Jim Lee's about the only exec left.

In case youre wondering the context like me:-

https://www.cbr.com/dc-entertainment-warnermedia-layoffs/

"WarnerMedia began its rounds of layoffs earlier today amid restructuring efforts, which have reportedly affected DC Entertainment. CBR has confirmed that the layoffs are real, though DC is not commenting on specific names or executives impacted by today's events. Jim Lee remains the Chief Creative Officer for DC and works across all of WarnerMedia’s creative groups and talent to drive the connective tissue between story, creative, and media, and will continue to be involved on the publishing side as well.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, DC Universe also suffered layoffs, with a majority of the staff reportedly let go."

He's got a point, maybe this will usher in some kind of creative golden age again where all the concepts are new and unique.

I don't want to see DC turn digital only and the only thing they churn out is IP heavy things like Batman / Superman titles, but sadly i can see why AT&T are looking at them as IP only, just look at Disney/Marvel/Fox to see how the weight of an IP carries. 

Despite being a life long DC fan most of the best comics from the big two that I read these days come from Marvel and Marvel still put out loads of shit. DC doesn't help itself by bouncing from one creative mess to another, constantly trying and failing to fix the damage they did in the first Crisis.

Of course though as Death Metal shows when DC put out a banger I'm totally on board and can't wait for the next issue.

(Spoiler. The best comic in the world is in fact 2000AD. Trufax. Fight me)

Is anyone else enjoying Empyre? I've been reading the main titles but not all of the spin offs and I was surprised to find it's actually pretty solid. I never expected that given the previews.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I just spent the last few days rereading Invincible. Man now that's a cape comic. Fantastic ending too.

I went through it all for the first time last summer (after finally getting an iPad I got it all on Comixology in a sale, having fancied it since reading the first issue years ago), and I rattled through it all in maybe a week or two. Great comic.

How long does it take to read one prog?  About 20 minutes?  Say 15 mins, so that would be four an hour.  How long every day will you spend reading 2000ad?  Two hours?  (I presume you have other things to do...) So, 8 progs a day.  Say, 5 days a week? 8x5 = 40 progs a week.  2194 progs at the moment would take 55 weeks, just over a year.  But by then there'll be another 55 progs to read, so it would take around 13 months in total at that pace.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

How long does it take to read one prog?  About 20 minutes?  Say 15 mins, so that would be four an hour.  How long every day will you spend reading 2000ad?  Two hours?  (I presume you have other things to do...) So, 8 progs a day.  Say, 5 days a week? 8x5 = 40 progs a week.  2194 progs at the moment would take 55 weeks, just over a year.  But by then there'll be another 55 progs to read, so it would take around 13 months in total at that pace.

Good luck!

This is the second time I've done this. :)

Oh man though. That first prog was a banger.

Opens with Invasion and then bang straight through with, Flesh, Dan Dare, Mach 1 and Harlem Heroes. What a fucking line up.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

This is the second time I've done this. :)

Oh man though. That first prog was a banger.

Opens with Invasion and then bang straight through with, Flesh, Dan Dare, Mach 1 and Harlem Heroes. What a fucking line up.

The only issue without Judge Dredd!

One of the things I loved finding out about what how much work Pat Mills and the art director (forget his name) did with the art in the early issues - re-arranging page layouts, changing the size and shape of individual panels, making every page really pop with dynamism.  It's the sort of thing I should really hate as a (amateur) comic artist myself, but what they did was create a new visual language for British comics, which has really stood the test of time.