The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

Aside from not enjoying much of his work for many many years, the thing that really annoys me about Moore and the whole "grump" persona is how he allowed it to balloon so much and eclipse his collaborators. The way the focus of the press over the years has been focused on him, it's like the artists and others he works with don't exist. It's a collaborative artform, and I worry that anyone associated with any of Moore's major works suffers a bit these days from the association. I'm glad Dave Gibbons has been pro-active in maintaining some level of involvement in Watchmen properties, not least because he comes across like a genuinely lovely guy. 

46 minutes ago, K said:

I'll give that Deadline interview a go. Hopefully we can finally discover what Moore thinks about Grant Morrison, the Watchmen film, and people in the comics industry who have wronged him in some way.

Made me laugh. 

I've just added that YouTube channel to my subscribed list. Seems like a decent set of articles and interviews. 

16 hours ago, scissorkicks said:

Aside from not enjoying much of his work for many many years, the thing that really annoys me about Moore and the whole "grump" persona is how he allowed it to balloon so much and eclipse his collaborators. 

That's just victim blaming.

Opening scene of Immortal Hulk 38 was almost too much for me as the father of a 3yo, but it delivers a fantastic insight into Devil Hulk.

The closing scene was just pure "FUCK YEAH *PUNCHES AIR*" emotion. 

All-round fantastic issue, things are really really really heating up now. Thank Ewing only 2 weeks until the next issue.

Komi Can't Communicate volumes are all £3.99 each on Amazon at the moment (Also unlocks the Comixology version). No better time to get into the best mango ever.

Just finished volume 9. Excellent as always. Even better now Komi is starting to talk. Just a little but showing definite progress. This volume covered the period of Valentines and "White day" and ended with Tadano giving Komi some nice smelling hand cream and a single piece of candy. This is very significant as candy signifies you like someone.

Getting there was all the fun though :)

It's classic DC when you think about it. I don't know how close to the original Didio plan this is but back then with no details everyone was worried about this being a full line wide revamp. The details come out today and people are super pumped for it. Also people are super bummed that after the two months we're likely to go back to the regular old boring shit.

So this the whole "futures end" all over again then?

I'm looking forward to Fox as BOC and i am always up for a good Red Hood comic too. 

I'll be giving the Bat-Family and Suicide Squad a try and see how they pan out, this is clearly due to Death Metal especially with what went down in this week's issue 4.

40 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

kieron Gillen and jacen burrows have a 40k book out this week. I bet it’s both grim and dark

I like 40K and i thought it was really dull and boring....

And bright oh so very bright...... Disney 40K.....

WARHAMMERMC2020001-Preview-5.jpg?resize=

My 2000ad reread continues. The apocalypse war is over (Dredd won. Spoiler), Sam Slade is in Brit Cit doing a lot of singing, Ace Garp is in prison and Rogue has reached Fort Neuropa.

Cracking stuff.

Fellow Marvel U subscribers. The Big M just cut down the wait time for new releases from 6 to 3 months meaning even less reason now to buy overpriced singles.

10 hours ago, Flub said:

Fellow Marvel U subscribers. The Big M just cut down the wait time for new releases from 6 to 3 months meaning even less reason now to buy overpriced singles.

Excellent, as an old Marvel nerd with no room for physical funny books Marvel Unlimited was already the best thing ever. This just cements it. The app is really good nowadays too on a tablet.

So I'm about halfway through the Tom King Mister Miracle series (I have the floppy collection) and I have absolutely no idea what is going on. Is there a point to all of those weird visual glitch panels that keep appearing? Honestly, I have no idea and I'm not entirely convinced that this can be read as a standalone series as I get this feeling that there are too many references that are passing me by. I only remember Oberon from the JLI comics and even then only in passing. :( 

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Damn, and coming on top of finding the Orion omnibus (bought for Simonson's epic art) almost completely opaque men's I might have to do that. 

I find all of the Fourth World stuff pretty confusing, it’s took me over 5 reads of Final Crisis to even slightly understand what the hell it’s about.

12 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I find all of the Fourth World stuff pretty confusing, it’s took me over 5 reads of Final Crisis to even slightly understand what the hell it’s about.

Imagine how the rest of us felt. We went into it live off the back of Countdown.

The Judge Dredd Megazine is on fire at the moment. A solid Dredd story about a Total War attack on a block. Megatropolis. Something 2000AD almost never does. A full elseworlds tale based on a very different Mega City 1 and Dreadnaughts. Set in 2030 at the dawn of Judging and is one of the most interesting things I've read from the Meg in a while. A look at a period we know very little about. An interview in the current issue says the plan is to have the title run from 2030 right up to when the Dredd Year One novels start.

I decided to organise my collection of comics that fall outside of Comixology today. It's still ongoing but working out really well. I settled on this as the desktop database and viewer

https://yacreader.com/

It also has an iOS app that syncs up to the desktop for transfer very easily. I'll report back later when I've read a few 2000ADs on it :)