The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

2 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Yeah Bennett is a prick, so he just happened to misspell jewelry as “Jewery” when it was right above a massive Star of David? Okay bud.

Benedito was really trying his luck with that, does he have a history of this kind of thing?  

12 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Benedito was really trying his luck with that, does he have a history of this kind of thing?  

Some things I've seen mentioned today is that he apparently spoke out in support of Bolsonaro in the past, he cheered on social media when an openly gay journalist was assualted, and under one of his drawings of She-Hulk on insta someone made a joke that it was Hulk's angry transgender son and he responded with a bunch of laughing smileys. Alleged, I've not researched it myself. Small things that all add up to what happened now.

10 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

He's Transphobic considering when Hulk has a transgender character in the series.

https://imgur.com/sylFIjC

Says assaulted gay journalist should have been punched not slapped

Just overall not a nice guy, and just insulting to the creator of Hulk Jack Kirby who was Jewish. Hope he gets removed, though I never thought his artwork was great anyway. 

Have to admit it was lost on me until I read the full explanation. But once you see it, wow is it blatant.

Marvel dragged their feet with the Ardian Syaf issue and you'd think they would have learnt a lesson there about acting quicker.

23 minutes ago, Spatial said:

Have to admit it was lost on me until I read the full explanation. But once you see it, wow is it blatant.

Marvel dragged their feet with the Ardian Syaf issue and you'd think they would have learnt a lesson there about acting quicker.

Bring back Jim Shooter :), Marvel needs better editoral but yeah if he gets fired we probably get Greg Land arghhhhhh....

15 hours ago, yakumo said:

Yeah Bennett is a prick, so he just happened to misspell jewelry as “Jewery” when it was right above a massive Star of David? Okay bud.

When you see the frame, it just seems so unlikely that it's an accident. At the most generous interpretation, he's done whatever the written/drawing version of a Freudian slip is, and accidentally showed an inner monologue. Which isn't a very generous interpretation, given the apparent inner monologue.

17 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Looking at the statement Marvel have copied and pasted it looks like the writing is the mistake and he didn't know about the star. 

Im going to be honest but whats wrong with the star? cant you draw it backwards or something?

From what I read, there are no Jewish-run jewellery stores with a Star of David in the window, so adding one is just another anti-semetic trope about Jewish people and gold, on top of the "mispelling" of "Jewellery" in the first place.

Think it was the end of 2019 - of course it's a terrible thing to happen and grief makes people do all sorts of silly things,  but I'm not sure you can see this in the context of someone having an emotional episode and trying to process the death of a young child.

If it was a one off, maybe at a stretch, but as Yakumo and Mr. Gerbik both pointed out he's got a prior history of being a raging dick.

Oh no I'm far from saying he just be excused for it. 

Dont get that idea at all.

It was more, " I don't care anymore"attitude because he must of knew he wouldn't get away with that. 

I'm as anti-racism as you can get I've had some fucking horrible encounters growing up. 

Are Tadano and Komi going on a date? :wub:

I'm in the middle of the second book (uh, chapter 20 ish?) and Najimi has got the crazy stalker lady to apologize for kidnapping Tadano. It's just a very sweet series. :)

13 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Are Tadano and Komi going on a date? :wub:

I'm in the middle of the second book (uh, chapter 20 ish?) and Najimi has got the crazy stalker lady to apologize for kidnapping Tadano. It's just a very sweet series. :)

The two families have met up while on a weekend break. They're in a kind of physical obstacle course sideshow thing. It's a fun sequence.

They're getting super close to being open but I think for Komi, confessing to Tadano is going to be her biggest challenge and from Tadano's perspective Komi is way out of his league. I like how the series is slowly bringing them closer together in such a sweet way. Tadano in one volume is amazed when he sees Komi's bare legs for the first time and in this issue there's the scene I mention where Komi can't help but sneak a peak at the very top of Tadano's underpants. It's not racy in the slightest. It's just nice. As you read more you'll see Komi making very tiny but real improvements to her condition that now in the current volumes she's occasionally able to speak sometimes. Normally just to Tadano but this time to two female friends. Friends who have noticed she likes Tadano.

You have a volume coming up where Tadano gets the flu and accidentally calls Komi for help instead of Najimi. There's an amazingly sweet scene during that part.

*edit* Also I love that Komi's Brother and Tadano's little sister are having their own similar interactions but from a very different angle.

31 minutes ago, Flub said:

Comixology must have started using some of that sweet Amazon tech because they finally noticed I like romance manga

image.thumb.png.30cae8cbd569a62f006f172b2e6e4044.png

Have you read Blue Flag?

I am on volume 4 now and it’s one of my favourite current running mangas.

So I got past prog 900 in 2000ad and yet another Big Dave shambles appeared. It's one of the worst characters the comic has ever produced. It has zero redeeming qualities. It's openly racist, homophobic and sexist. It doesn't even try to be parodying. It's played straight.

So I thought. This time before I skip it I'll see which fuckers wrote it.

5iPUXJL.jpg

Fucks sake.