The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

10 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I've no idea who that is but he looks RADICAL

Are any of these DC Future Slate books any good BTW?

I've heard Ram V's Swamp thing is pretty good. 

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

First person I've heard not liking Cowan's art. 

sorry it’s just I prefer either classic aparo or the clean lines of a breyfogle.

saying that hints of wrightson

image.png.3978e20edd16f9e25ca929994b91b17d.png

and the next panel is a doozy!

Just now, SeanR said:

sorry it’s just I prefer either classic aparo or the clean lines of a breyfogle.

Well I love both of theirs artwork as well. Just Cowan is superb. 

Is it because he is black Sean :sherlock:

Joke btw. 

It's Adam X-Treme!

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Adam_Neramani_(Earth-616)

The man known as Adam-X was raised by a farmer named Jonath in a village on the Ch'reesharaa planet in the Shi'ar Galaxy.[4] He himself described the life on the planet as very harsh and hard to survive.[2] At some point the villagers captured wounded Imperial Praetor Guards. They helped them recover and then released them. However, the Guards returned and destroyed the village, with Adam as the sole survivor.[2] He escaped from the planet, and for years wandered from place to place. Never staying for long, he became a fierce warrior and an experienced pilot.[7] Under mysterious circumstances he found himself on Earth remembering almost nothing about his life, including his name.[2]

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by Arn Ironjaw
1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I've no idea who that is but he looks RADICAL

Are any of these DC Future Slate books any good BTW?

The Superman/WonderWoman one (With Jon and Yara) turned out to be delightful. I'd like to see more of that particular pair.

Rumour-mill seems to going into overdrive this week that AT&T might have found a buyer for its comic division. They will retain all IP rights for everything else but they get rid of the hassle of the publishing comics every week. 

Seems Robert Kirkman might be favourite to be spending some of those millions he’s amassed. 

55 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Rumour-mill seems to going into overdrive this week that AT&T might have found a buyer for its comic division. They will retain all IP rights for everything else but they get rid of the hassle of the publishing comics every week. 

Seems Robert Kirkman might be favourite to be spending some of those millions he’s amassed. 

As long as he’s not writing them, I would be cool with that.

On 12/02/2021 at 17:38, Flub said:

So I got past prog 900 in 2000ad and yet another Big Dave shambles appeared. It's one of the worst characters the comic has ever produced. It has zero redeeming qualities. It's openly racist, homophobic and sexist. It doesn't even try to be parodying. It's played straight.

So I thought. This time before I skip it I'll see which fuckers wrote it.

5iPUXJL.jpg

Fucks sake.

You have any images?

14 minutes ago, yakumo said:

You have any images?

I'm not going back to pull out a selection but I found this on google

image.png.9753407965283aa35121105174210aaf.png

The series loves to use the phrase "shirtlifters" and always portrays Dave as being the winner and in the right. If I was being very, very charitable I'd maybe think it was a very tone deaf attempt to parody british newspapers of the time (It has a narrator making newspaper like comments) but if that's the case it fails in absolutely every regard.

The first story sends Dave to Iraq to stop Saddam Hussein using an alien love gun to turn the British army into "nancy boys". Another is about a Big Dave trip to Spain (Guess how that turns out) and another is Big Dave winning the world cup against the "Nazi" team. If there's an offensive stereotype about a country or people this series uses it.

1 minute ago, Flub said:

I'm not going back to pull out a selection but I found this on google

image.png.9753407965283aa35121105174210aaf.png

The series loves to use the phrase "shirtlifters" and always portrays Dave as being the winner and in the right. If I was being very, very charitable I'd maybe think it was a very tone deaf attempt to parody british newspapers of the time (It has a narrator making newspaper like comments) but if that's the case it fails in absolutely every regard.

Miller is like Ennis without soul.  I find his work tasteless, without substance, and derivative. I'll give him Red Son though.

Given his other work at the time I find it surprising that Grant Morrison was involved on this. The other stuff he wrote for 2000ad is very good (please see Zenith). Normally I'd just say "Young and dumb. Later grew up" but in the case of Morrison he was already a really, really good comic writer so I can't fathom it.

Just now, Flub said:

Given his other work at the time I find it surprising that Grant Morrison was involved on this. The other stuff he wrote for 2000ad is very good (please see Zenith). Normally I'd just say "Young and dumb. Later grew up" but in the case of Morrison he was already a really, really good comic writer so I can't fathom it.

It was part of this according to google:-

" Summer Offensive"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_AD_(comics)#Summer_Offensive

"The "Summer Offensive" was an eight-week experiment in 1993, when new editor Alan McKenzie gave free rein to writers Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and John Smith, to a mixed reception. Morrison wrote a Dredd story, "Inferno", and a drug-influenced comedy adventure, Really & Truly. Smith contributed Slaughterbowl, in which convicted criminals on dinosaurs are pitted against each other in a deadly sport, with the survivor being paroled for a year and granted wealth – but being forced to enter the Slaughterbowl again the next year. Millar wrote Maniac 5, an action-packed series about a remote controlled war-robot. During this run was a satire of British tabloid attitudes titled Big Dave, written by Morrison and Millar and drawn by Steve Parkhouse."

17 minutes ago, Flub said:

Disappointed but that dialogue screams of Miller being edgy.

14 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

It was part of this according to google:-

" Summer Offensive"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_AD_(comics)#Summer_Offensive

"The "Summer Offensive" was an eight-week experiment in 1993, when new editor Alan McKenzie gave free rein to writers Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and John Smith, to a mixed reception. Morrison wrote a Dredd story, "Inferno", and a drug-influenced comedy adventure, Really & Truly. Smith contributed Slaughterbowl, in which convicted criminals on dinosaurs are pitted against each other in a deadly sport, with the survivor being paroled for a year and granted wealth – but being forced to enter the Slaughterbowl again the next year. Millar wrote Maniac 5, an action-packed series about a remote controlled war-robot. During this run was a satire of British tabloid attitudes titled Big Dave, written by Morrison and Millar and drawn by Steve Parkhouse."

That's what gets me. I figured it was intended as a satire but it's just done so badly. At least Alf Garnett is the butt of the joke. Inferno for reference is excellent.

I dunno - I remember reading Big Dave, and while it's not massively successful, it's pretty clearly meant to be an OTT satire of the UK tabloid worldview - given the politics of Morrison and Millar, it was unlikely to be anything else. It might have worked better in something like Viz, as that would have made it crystal clear that its not meant to be taken at face value. Also, bear in mind that at the time the strip was written, the Sun and the News of the World would have regularly used words like "poof" and "queer" to refer to gay people and would have published stuff that is eye-poppingly racist and homophobic, so while the language and worldview seems insanely, grossly offensive now, it wasn't far off the kind of thing you'd read in Sun editorials. 

Colin Smith (of the Too Busy Thinking About My Comics blog) is doing a book about Mark Millar's comics work, to follow the series of articles he published on Sequart years ago:

http://sequart.org/author/colin-smith/

He's posted a draft of the introduction here:

https://themdarnedsuperpeople.com/2021/02/08/an-introduction-to-shameless-the-comics-career-of-mark-millar/

It sounds like his research is thorough:

On 17/02/2021 at 11:58, Arn Ironjaw said:

Yeah I saw.

About time Claremont sorted that Third (Or fourth) Summers brother is.

He was in X-Factor recently too.

ughhh Brett Booth, even in the 90s I never liked his mimic of Jim Lee's style, while its gotten better he's now trying to be like Marc Silvestri.

4 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I take your Big Dave "The Hardest Man In Manchester" & Cheryl and i bring on Thor's political horsetory.thumb.jpg.1ebd1875937b804b80848925240cdc09.jpg who has won panel of the week for me. 

Thor is consistently great like Hulk and Hellions every month.

On 17/02/2021 at 12:07, SeanR said:

Cowan style reminds me of Klaus Janson or Sienkiewicz, hard angles and shapes and texture heavy in inking.

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

Cowan style reminds me of Klaus Janson or Sienkiewicz, hard angles and shapes and texture heavy in inking.

I *hate* Klaus, but I like Bill...

That whole 2000ad summer offensive thing was during the period I wasn't reading it (quite a long period actually - I sort of drifted away not long after prog 500, then randomly picked up a prog just after 1500, and have been a regular reader ever since).  I guess I would have been one of those lapsed readers they were trying to win back around then?

I've picked up most of the missing progs since, with the vague idea of sitting down and reading them all at some point, like Flub has done, but I've never got round to it, and so much of the art around the 700-1200 range really puts me off.

And on the subject of 2000ad, it's the 44th anniversary of Prog 1 this weekend, and here's a blog post listing all the other comics that were for sale in the newsagents on the same day.

Pretty sure I got the Super Spider-Man and the Captain Britain.  Maybe one of either Whoppee!, Whizzer and Chips or Krazy, and possibly the Hulk one.  I never liked the 'serious' boys comics (until 2000ad came along, because SPACE!), so wouldn't have read any of the others.

Here's to another 44 years! I'd love to buy collections of the Beano from that period.

For anyone who likes the format 2000ad is regened again next Wednesday. Always a fun time.