The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I've picked up most of the missing progs since, with the vague idea of sitting down and reading them all at some point, like Flub has done, but I've never got round to it, and so much of the art around the 700-1200 range really puts me off.

I feel your pain. I've just hit prog 1000 and it's settling down a bit. The problem as ever with comics is the 90s. Comics turned to shite. That most of the stories in 2000ad are at least decent is a testament to the talent I think. Even if the art sometimes gets a bit impenetrable.

I liked the period where 2000ad was definitely not a kids comic anymore (Full frontal male nudity generally isn't for kids comics) but nobody had told WH Smiths so they were still stacking the prog next to the Beano.

13 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Did they ever follow up Trifecta at all? I quite like reading Alan Moore & the Clown from Wally Squad. 

Dredd is essentially one long story at this point. Dirty Frank is still going. He's with Hershey (Who faked her own death but is still dying) trying to clean up the mess caused by Smiley.

https://judgedredd.fandom.com/wiki/Smiley

I need to reread Trifecta. That was a triumph for 2000ad. Pulling the three different stories into one without people realising what was up.

I just read the first issue of We Live and I love it. Absolutely lovely art too

YACReader-Lh0-Cp-Ij3c-E.jpg

The year is 2084 and the world has changed. Wracked by calamities and crawling with monsters, the last remaining humans face a dangerous existence.

And now, the Earth has been sent a message from the deepest reaches of space – a dark countdown to the extinction of all humanity. But there is hope! Five thousand children will be rescued by these mysterious message-senders.

This is the journey of Hototo, one of the lucky five thousand – but only if his teenage sister, Tala, can safely deliver him to the nearest Beacon before time runs out.

Another recommendation. Crossover

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Crossover-1/digital-comic/889095

An event happens in Denver. A portal opens and pours out fictional super heroes, villains and eldrich horrors. This causes many deaths until a forcefield is put around the city. The comic explores the aftermath. Lovely art (Especially for the "Fakes") and a very intriguing story.

YACReader-Vq16-ODh-PSZ.jpg

Let me talk about Humble Bundles if I may. Amazing value for money but what a pain in the arse to download. Either one at a time or a "bulk" download option that basically kicks them all off as individual downloads each one producing a file selector if you don't have a single specific download folder selected.

I have a solution. Introducing downthemall

https://www.downthemall.org/

Install the extension (Firefox, Opera or Chromelikes). Right click on your Humble bundle order page. Filter by cbz (Or epub if it's books). Hit start and watch that sucker go.

It even works for the Comixology backup pages. For each page right click, filter by cbz (Or cbr or both) and click. Comixology downloads look a bit weird in the Downthemallmanager but they do download correctly.

I went through all my Humble bundles and Comixology backups and got them all downloaded easily. Downthemall ultimately uses your browser's download manager (That's all it's allowed to use) but just makes grabbing an entire page of comics/books/dirty pictures trivial.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

This week's DC Infinite Frontier #0 has me cautiously hopeful.

All the news seems to be to focused on the "Alan Scott" story.

I thought it was OK, I loved the Titans' teaser as short as it was & it's good to see Bruce back in the cowl but i really don't like how they write Grifter since making him a Bat-Family character.

Got to get Black Adam established again ready for the film.....

Volume 9 of "very nice manga" Flying Witch is out tomorrow

Makoto and her companions experience summer celebrations of all sorts, from the spectacular lantern floats of Aomori's most famous festival to an otherworldly procession dedicated to exotic beasts. Along the way, they'll conquer mountainous desserts, reunite with an old friend, and make potentially groundbreaking discoveries in magic.
Enjoy the ongoing, charm-filled adventures of Makoto and her crew as they have fun under the sun and more in Aomori!

So it turned out I had two new manga due today. The above mentioned and lovely Flying Witch but also the new volume of Fly Me To the Moon. Fly me to the moon fits my classic "Nice, sweet and innocent" vibe and I love it.

The setup is bobbins Nasa-Kun (His parents love space travel) got hit by a truck a few years ago. He was helped by a beautiful young girl who Nasa immediately fell for and asked to marry him. She left and he eventually recovered but could never stop thinking about her. Then one day she arrives at his appartment with marriage papers and they get married. It's not saucy in the slightest. Nasa is a very nice man. Tsukasa-chan his new wife is also kind and sweet but has secrets. We eventually meet her sister and maids and get hints that their grandmother would not be happy with the marriage and this new volume has my brain going to some very interesting places regarding her background given what she was saying while visiting some Japanese historical sites.

It's almost completely drama free. There's no sex or real fanservice. They're both shy (Holding hands was a big moment for them) and it's just damn nice. While visiting Nasa's parents their tiny appartment burns down so they're currently staying in a spare room at the local public baths. Nasa needs to take Tsukasa to buy new clothes and gets really embarrased while buying underwear. It's just lovely.

Does anyone know why Grant Morrison fell out with Millar?, there's been several theories floating around ranging from Red Son being the Morrison's idea which he nicked. The other was Morrison was doing much of the work, and Millar not contributing as much and taking advantage of their friendship?.

Despite several shelves of unread omnibuses, I keep on buying shit and have just acquired Morrison's second Batman omnibus. Allegedly I need to read the first one to understand what is going on, but I think I'm doing okay without it so far.

Bruce Wayne is dead after Final Crisis. Dick Grayson has assumed the mantle and is having trouble living in Bruce's shadow and also having to deal with Damien beating the shit out of everyone and not really engaging in teamwork. Also, the police immediately spotted that they were both different heights to their predecessors.

One odd point so far. Dick calls Alfred "Pennyworth" at one point which felt very off. Just me, or is this a perfectly fine way for Dick to interact with a grandfather figure who pretty much raised him during the day (whilst Bruce did his alleged child-rearing during the night?

7 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Despite several shelves of unread omnibuses, I keep on buying shit and have just acquired Morrison's second Batman omnibus. Allegedly I need to read the first one to understand what is going on, but I think I'm doing okay without it so far.

Bruce Wayne is dead after Final Crisis. Dick Grayson has assumed the mantle and is having trouble living in Bruce's shadow and also having to deal with Damien beating the shit out of everyone and not really engaging in teamwork. Also, the police immediately spotted that they were both different heights to their predecessors.

One odd point so far. Dick calls Alfred "Pennyworth" at one point which felt very off. Just me, or is this a perfectly fine way for Dick to interact with a grandfather figure who pretty much raised him during the day (whilst Bruce did his alleged child-rearing during the night?

Just me being nosey here is it expensive to get them shipped to Japan? 

Well, it all depends. Apologies for wall of text response. Some venting may also occur due to cheap-ass sellers.

Amazon.com offer extremely cheap shipping via their Global Seller program ($10 to ship even a large ass omnibus book!), but the quality of packaging will vary greatly. I've had one book (one of the Scott Pilgrim hardcovers) show up in a cardboard wrapper thing that is pretty standard and it was in perfect condition.

Conversely, three more Scott Pilgrim books arrived today in a box that was too wide and with absolutely zero packing had been added, so there's some corner damage to all three books. Actually, the bigger problem is that the covers are scratched and stickers have been added that are not going to come off easily, so Oni Press on Amazon.com are about to get a very negative review. Fuckers.

I've also had an omnibus book show up from a "proper" seller on eBay (SuperBookDeals maybe) in the same kind of cardboard envelope packaging, except the book was the third Black Science book which is a great deal larger and heavier than the average trade paperback and had massive corner damage. Being an idiot, I didn't even complain about it because I just figured that was the risk I took in ordering it.

In Stock Trades sell books very cheaply but their postage is more expensive, starting at $30 for a single book and then scaling up as you add more items. That said, they pack their shit properly so there's zero risk of damage in transit.

Amazon.co.jp charge far less since they are shipping domestically, but then the price of the book itself will range from cover price (sucks, but what can you do?) to a hefty markup (really Amazon? How much shit are you shipping globally that you have to take the piss like this). I managed to get that Batman Omnibus for $50 (approximately what you'd pay in the UK), but volume 3 is almost double the price. I think I was lucky, because I had another look and remaining copies of volume 2 have gone up to the same price as for volume 3. Bastards.

Hmm. That wasn't a very well structured response, but there you go. Anything other than a proper comics seller (eg: In Stock Trades) or domestic shipping from Amazon.co.jp is risky as hell, which is why I'm always very wary about buying things from US sellers on eBay because you have no idea how they're going to package it until it shows up. :hmm:

No rant away @Talvalin and thanks for the detailed response. 

If it makes you feel better Amazon are hit and miss with packaging on omnis here as well. 

Marketplace resellers like Books etc and Wordery and Book depository are far more reliable than Amazon themselves tbh. 

3 hours ago, Talvalin said:

I love that series. The dynamic between them is great and it's a shame it had to end. I'd have been happier with some Nightwing and Robin books rather than what followed. 

On a completely random tangent, because there isn't anywhere else for me to write this. I'm a massive sucker for Joe Mads art back on x-men, and drew a lot of it.

I was just going back on some old classics thinking about getting into drawing a bit again. I think a lot of people remember Mads doing Age of Apocalypse but really it was Roget Cruz doing the Alpha/Omega books that I must have drawn myself several times over. 

There is a whole thing about how they were working on similar stuff at the time and Cruz was just swiping loads of work. I had no idea. https://www.cbr.com/meta-messages-joe-madureira-takes-a-swipe-over-a-swipe/  ...Yet, I feel like Roger Cruz is a bit of a forgotten artist. He was still good and apparently I loved him :)   ...it's hard to complain when I spent my youth swiping their art!

Also, going back to the Uncanny books of the time I had I've also misremembered a bunch of books as it was John Romita Jr drawing them just before Joe. Again, similar cartoonish style. It just seems odd that the styles were so consistent on the same books. 

Does anyone else feel like everything you've remembered is a lie?

58 minutes ago, SeanR said:

I already thought that Batman | Fortnite was a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, including DC chasing that gamer dollar.

then this happened

image.thumb.png.affa3c2a896995ce0456da3158b340ca.png

thoughts?

Meh don't really care, its just a silly tie in.