IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Bought myself the first two Absolute Swamp Things on a whim for my birthday, having never read it before. 

It seems to have started halfway through a story arc, which seems odd. And not only that, but it’s assuming that I have either know the back story or don’t care what’s already happened as there wasn’t even some sort of ‘Previously on Swamp Thing’ but which explained what had already taken place. 

The book itself is wonderful, and I enjoyed the first ‘issue’ but before I continue, I’d like to know what’s going on without spoiling what’s to come. 

Am I better of getting the start of the arc before continuing? Is it available from anywhere? Or is there a good summary somewhere I could read instead?

Related question; I had assumed that all Absolute Editions were supposed to be self contained but I’m guessing now that it’s just collections of best issues / runs of certain issues from an arc & they might not actually make any sense to people that were new to the series?

The first chapter should be one called The Anatomy Lesson. It was an ongoing when Moore started but that was his first issue. What went before doesn’t really matter much he chucked it all out :lol: 

edit. Lol turns out I’m wrong and Moore wrote the previous issue as well. I don’t think I’ve ever read it as it’s not in the collections I’ve got either.

The first issue / chapter is called Loose Ends, and the name says it all really!

It assumes I already know who both the couples are, and I don’t, and that I know all about whoever / whatever died just before it started. 

No spoilers, I just want to know if I should ( if I can ) buy the start of the run or if there’s a primer I can read instead?

I can’t imagine I’m the first person to buy the Absolute who is new to the series!

If it's Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, you don't need to read anything before.  As said above, he took over an existing run, and tried to tie up / throw it away with his first issue, then starts his run 'proper' with Anatomy Lesson, trying his best to start from scratch really, without technically starting from scratch, for the sake the the small number of existing readers at the time.

I came on board with issue 25, and only caught up with the earlier issues with a Titan reprint from years ago, and that only bothered with 21-24 (Anatomy Lesson onwards) and didn't reprint his first issue.  That's the only one I've never read.

Talking about Alan Moore, I been reading Scream and he was a regular writer for that UK series. Not shocking I know, UK writer writing for UK comic but this was pre Warrior. Entertaining enough Vampire story.

Also anyone reading Strange Adventures, his best work since Vision. I know people have a love/hate relationship with Tom King but finding this pretty stellar due to also Doc Shaner's artwork.

Regarding King, I loved Omega Men and liked The Vision, but Mister Miracle made no bloody sense to me. I only have a vague sense of the character from reading Justice League comics in the early 90s and that's it. I did buy both omnibuses so will catch up that way but eh glad to hear Strange Adventures is good. :)

10 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Regarding King, I loved Omega Men and liked The Vision, but Mister Miracle made no bloody sense to me. I only have a vague sense of the character from reading Justice League comics in the early 90s and that's it. I did buy both omnibuses so will catch up that way but eh glad to hear Strange Adventures is good. :)

I think it helps I don't know much about Adam Strange besides from what I seen in the Justice League cartoon, and also with the few issue with Green Lantern. But highly recommended.

22 hours ago, yakumo said:

Also anyone reading Strange Adventures, his best work since Vision. I know people have a love/hate relationship with Tom King but finding this pretty stellar due to also Doc Shaner's artwork.

I just read it today and wow. That certainly went some places didn't it. Always nice to see a prominent Mr Terrific.

Just a heads up - ComiXology currently has the first volume of Locke & Key for 79p (normally about £9), and the rest of them for £1.59 (down from about £11), which even by their standards is pretty damn cheap.

27 minutes ago, JDubYes said:

Just a heads up - ComiXology currently has the first volume of Locke & Key for 79p (normally about £9), and the rest of them for £1.59 (down from about £11), which even by their standards is pretty damn cheap.

Cheers, I think there's a couple I didn't get super cheap when they were with Humble Bundle. 

I'm currently reading the manga "We never learn" About a hard working but poor highschool boy who gets asked to tutor two genius girls. Turns out they're geniuses in their own fields (Science and literature) but each really wants to do the other. Gradually the cast expands.

It's a little bit like Quintets but eventually far more fanservicey (The teacher senpai is hilarious) and much sweeter and innocent. I'm not all the way through Quintets but there's a dark undercurrent floating there regarding their father. Warning. Contains a fair amount of skin and accidental flashing so won't be to all tastes.

image.png.75d98a35f9f83178c29722185601bb76.png

On 12/10/2021 at 11:08, K said:

On a more positive note, I started reading the Grandville anthology, and am really enjoying it.

Just wanted to say thanks K, your description intrigued me so I read Grandville, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kind of like Blacksad mixed with Steampunk, Scooby Doo, James Bond, and a million other odd influences. Just the right side of tongue in cheek - it manages to be referential without overdoing it, jolly good fun.

10 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

Just wanted to say thanks K, your description intrigued me so I read Grandville, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kind of like Blacksad mixed with Steampunk, Scooby Doo, James Bond, and a million other odd influences. Just the right side of tongue in cheek - it manages to be referential without overdoing it, jolly good fun.

No problem! If you liked that, have a look at some of Bryan Talbot's other comics. The Luther Arkwright series and the Tale of One Bad Rat aren't light reading like the Grandville books (One Bad Rat in particular deals with some quite heavy themes), but they are tremendously good.

Absolute Swamp Thing Volume 1 was excellent, enjoyed it much more than I thought I would ( and I expected I'd like it anyway ). ^_^

'Burial' was probably my favourite issue but so many of them were excellent, it's hard to choose. I've already got Volume 2 to read next as I bought them both at the same time, it's hard to try & ration myself to only reading a couple of issues a day though!

But, other than enthusing about how great it was, I wanted to ask opinions about the best version of Sandman to pick up. I've never read it before so I'd be going in blind & there's quite a number of options:

- Absolute

- Omnibus

- 30th Anniversary Edition

- Annotated ( though that seems to start next year )

- plus normal paperback versions, etc

I love the way the Swamp Thing Absolutes are done, so assuming that's the same for all 'Absolute ....' then that would be a strong contender but I didn't know if the 30th Anniversary one was perhaps 'better'?

Decided to re-read From Hell... this is only my second time through but the last time was over a decade ago.

About a third of the way through and so much of it very definitely went over my head that first time through, the "tour" through London with Gull... Bloody hell...