IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

15 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Just finished reading the colour version too, and came here specifically to make almost exactly the same post that @K did. So thanks for saving me the effort. 

Did you read the free version on Kindle Unlimited as well?

No, I bought a hard copy. I don't really get on with digital comics. I'm on board with digital books - it's just the information in the form of the text that I want, the medium makes no difference to me - but physical comics can be beautiful things in their own right. The main problem is shelf-space, especially with things like deluxe/absolute editions, but something like the Criminal deluxe reissues are wonderful things to hold and read.

1 hour ago, K said:

No, I bought a hard copy. I don't really get on with digital comics. I'm on board with digital books - it's just the information in the form of the text that I want, the medium makes no difference to me - but physical comics can be beautiful things in their own right. The main problem is shelf-space, especially with things like deluxe/absolute editions, but something like the Criminal deluxe reissues are wonderful things to hold and read.

I agree - but I already have the deluxe hardcover of From Hell, and can't justify the shelf space just for a splash of colour! Checking it out on Kindle was good enough for me. 

So, finished From Hell last night, as I've said before, this was my second read through and it's social politics really hit home now I'm 37 compared to when I was (I think) 22 when I last read it. 

Theres so many panels where you can't help feeling that old saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same" and then the pages towards the end when he watches over/visits 

Spoiler

Sutcliffe, Brady and Hindley and Gull is talking about their beautiful art... Christ.

Onto Uzamaki now, because I seem to be a sucker for punishment

7 hours ago, wev said:

So, finished From Hell last night, as I've said before, this was my second read through and it's social politics really hit home now I'm 37 compared to when I was (I think) 22 when I last read it. 

Theres so many panels where you can't help feeling that old saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same" and then the pages towards the end when he watches over/visits 

Hide contents

Sutcliffe, Brady and Hindley and Gull is talking about their beautiful art... Christ.

I'm probably in the same boat as you, as I think my last reading (prior to reading it this week) was when I was in my mid 20s and I'm now heading for mid 40s. Definitely got more out of it this time. I think I understood the broad themes before. Diana Vs Apollo, misogyny, delivering the 20th century through violent rituals etc. But I think I took in a lot more of the nuance this time. 

Gonna have another go at Voice of the Fire and Jerusalem one of these days. Still haven't made it past the second chapter of VOTF. 

3 hours ago, Peter St John said:

Given all the talk about "Meta" this week, I finally went back and read all of Milligan's "Shade: The Changing Man". My goodness, 90s Vertigo was a haven for rape, violence, and mutilation directed against women, wasn't it?

Sadly it was, I just happened to read vol 8 of Hellblazer third week and that was pretty awful for rape and violence towards women.

19 hours ago, Peter St John said:

Given all the talk about "Meta" this week, I finally went back and read all of Milligan's "Shade: The Changing Man". My goodness, 90s Vertigo was a haven for rape, violence, and mutilation directed against women, wasn't it?

One of the highlights for me was Chris Bachalo's art, I remember reading it when I was younger and did appreciate the weirdness and ideas Milligan introduced. But I do agree about the treatment of women as I felt that reading House of Secrets.

On 30/10/2021 at 10:45, wev said:

Reveal hidden contents

Try Tomie next

21 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Gonna have another go at Voice of the Fire and Jerusalem one of these days. Still haven't made it past the second chapter of VOTF. 

You're over the hump with Voice of the Fire.  I don't remember it being a particularly difficult read, except for the first chapter, written from the perspective of a pre-language bronze age man.  Once you're past that it's plain sailing, I think.

Jerusalem takes a bit more commitment.

Currently reading and really bloody enjoying Starman Compendium.

I remember a work colleague in 95 raving about it and I tried to get into it but think I was in my hate capes phase at that point of time and bounced off it. 

This time though loving it. 

Also £40 for 1400 pages of story is pretty good value as well though the art does deserve an Omni tbh. 

4 hours ago, cassidy said:

I remember a work colleague in 95 raving about it and I tried to get into it but think I was in my hate capes phase at that point of time and bounced off it. 

Also £40 for 1400 pages of story is pretty good value as well though the art does deserve an Omni tbh. 

Tony Harris on art right?, I knew it was a classic but never had access to the issues. I did pick one issue however, and the artwork was gorgeous, remember him trying to look for his dad and something about the Shade.

9 hours ago, cassidy said:

I had a similar experience back in the day.

There was some UK comics industry magazine (cannot for the life of me remember the name, but it had news, lots and lots of ads for mail order back issues and reviews too) raving constantly about both Sandman and Starman. I bought the first few issues of Starman, but I was still into Batman and Spider-Man mostly and the more mature stuff went sailing over my head.

I eventually got around to buying the hardcover collected editions, ignored them for 10 years and finally read them all in 2019 and loved the shit out of it. They even managed to survive Tony Harris buggering off before the end without too much fuss, although I do wish he'd stayed on for the whole thing as Snejbjerg's art was decent enough but a definite drop in quality.

Regarding the omnibus edition, I think that one was planned for ages (the Cosmic Compendium I think it was going to be called?), but to be honest, it would have had to have been fucking huge. 81 comics in the main series, 16 comics in the two Shade spin-off series, plus an annual and other associated spin-offs/team-ups/crossovers etc. That said, they could have just split everything into two omnibuses like they did with Preacher. Perhaps DC weren't convinced that Starman would sell enough to justify two hardcover omnibuses (though the original 6 hardcover editions are out of print, so if those people could be convinced to buy it all again, which I might have done because it would have included the Shade 12 issue series that I had to buy as a separate paperback collection, but anyway).

For anyone's who read the whole thing:

Spoiler

No, seriously, if you haven't finished the entire series, do not read this!!!! :P

The idea of the (female) Mist drugging and seducing Jack to get pregnant with his child whom she would then train to hate him and eventually kill him was something I remember reading when the comics were coming out, and that long-term cold-blooded revenge plan stayed in my head for years and years whenever I thought about Starman.

So the eventual reveal that her father was faking his senility, and that he was the one who planned the destruction of Opal City at the end (IIRC) was both totally unexpected and a bit of a letdown. The Mist was written with such agency by Robinson, so to take all of that away from her and for her to die such a pathetic death (at the hands of her own father at that!) was a massive letdown, even if it worked out in the grand scheme of the decades long battle between Ted Knight and the original Mist.

Hmm. I think I need to go and re-read the whole series now. :)

20 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I had a similar experience back in the day.

There was some UK comics industry magazine (cannot for the life of me remember the name, but it had news, lots and lots of ads for mail order back issues and reviews too) raving constantly about both Sandman and Starman.

For anyone's who read the whole thing:

Reveal hidden contents

No, seriously, if you haven't finished the entire series, do not read this!!!! :P

The idea of the (female) Mist drugging and seducing Jack to get pregnant with his child whom she would then train to hate him and eventually kill him was something I remember reading when the comics were coming out, and that long-term cold-blooded revenge plan stayed in my head for years and years whenever I thought about Starman.

So the eventual reveal that her father was faking his senility, and that he was the one who planned the destruction of Opal City at the end (IIRC) was both totally unexpected and a bit of a letdown. The Mist was written with such agency by Robinson, so to take all of that away from her and for her to die such a pathetic death (at the hands of her own father at that!) was a massive letdown, even if it worked out in the grand scheme of the decades long battle between Ted Knight and the original Mist.

Hmm. I think I need to go and re-read the whole series now. :)

Think it was Comics International, only UK comics magazine.

On 31/10/2021 at 15:04, Ste Pickford said:

You're over the hump with Voice of the Fire.  I don't remember it being a particularly difficult read, except for the first chapter, written from the perspective of a pre-language bronze age man.  Once you're past that it's plain sailing, I think.

Jerusalem takes a bit more commitment.

There's just something about his prose writing that feels so ... dense is the best word, I think. Even the prose stuff in something like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen I find tough going, despite being a huge fanboy of his comic writing. It's like there's about five ideas to unpack in every sentence!

Good week, read the fantastic Someone to Talk To, a French Graphic Novel which at first I was attracted due to the artwork but the story was actually really solid. Maybe because I resonated with some aspects of the character which hit home. But highly recommended, glad I took a chance on this. Sadly I can't buy a physical copy of this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Someone-Talk-Grégory-Panaccione-ebook/dp/B09HKZVVC7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=Z67A3L3PQ0FB&keywords=someone+to+talk+to+comic&qid=1637155291&sprefix=Someone+to+Talk+To%2Cdigital-text%2C297&sr=8-3

Also Enigma Definitive Edition, and part 2 of Blacksad out this week. Good times.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/lone-wolf-cub-koike-from-dark-horse-books?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_6_layout_index_4_layout_type_threes_tile_index_3_c_lonewolfcubkoikefromdarkhorse_bookbundle

All the wonderful LW&C books there with some other stuff. I’ve got them all in the small format but might get this for the rest of the stuff. Anyone have experience with:

Lady Snowblood

Path of the Assassin

Crying Freeman

Samurai Executioner

Thanks

Yeah I've read most of them and enjoyed them. The first two below have the same artist as LW&C.

Samurai Executioner is probably the closest to LW&C as it follows a character who appears in the main series but with maybe a bit more sex and 'extreme' content

Path of the Assassin is about a ninja working for the man who would eventually become shogun, lots of battles and killings and the relationship between a powerful man and his loyal vassels and manly shedding of tears.

Lady Snowblood is straight exploitation picture style revenge. Proper badass, what Tarantino wanted Kill Bill to be.

Haven't got around to reading Crying Freeman yet but its pretty famous and I like the artist's work on a bunch of yakuza series about tough dudes

Another Kazuo Koike series to read in scanlations is Mad Bull 34, an ultra-violent pastiche of american cop movies. I Love it.

24 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

Yeah I've read most of them and enjoyed them. The first two below have the same artist as LW&C.

Samurai Executioner is probably the closest to LW&C as it follows a character who appears in the main series but with maybe a bit more sex and 'extreme' content

Path of the Assassin is about a ninja working for the man who would eventually become shogun, lots of battles and killings and the relationship between a powerful man and his loyal vassels and manly shedding of tears.

Lady Snowblood is straight exploitation picture style revenge. Proper badass, what Tarantino wanted Kill Bill to be.

Haven't got around to reading Crying Freeman yet but its pretty famous and I like the artist's work on a bunch of yakuza series about tough dudes

Another Kazuo Koike series to read in scanlations is Mad Bull 34, an ultra-violent pastiche of american cop movies. I Love it.

oh man mad bull 34 anime is so freaking hilarious, good memories

1 minute ago, Butters said:

Has anyone read the Batman/Fortnite crossover? My brother is considering buying it for his son, and was asking what age group it was aimed at.

It's simple enough and is aimed at kids there's some connection to the game, but I imagine the kid will only really care about the free skins and stuff you get with the book.

The recent one shot they did was a bit deeper as it rooted in with the storyline behind the current season of the game. 

Depends on the kids age I reckon, if they are playing Fortnite they should be able to read the graphic just fine as it's the same level of violence.