The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Powers is very good, especially the first twenty issues or so, and comes highly recommended. I'm not so fussed on it recently though- I don't think it's due to the quality dropping, but more down to how over saturated Bendis is these days. I'm getting a bit sick of him to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Marvel's Civil War series is in some kind of collection by now? And if it's worth reading?

Civil War's not actually over yet and, seeing as how the main title doesn't really work as a self-contained story, you'll probably find it'll get split between various books like the Seven Soldiers Trades. Forbidden Planet's got a few up on their website now but be careful or you'll buy something only tenuosly connected like Civil War: War Crimes.

As for the second question; no it's not. It's an overhyped incoherent mess with stacks of needless tie-ins. Annihilation buried it.

So why was The Boys canceled again?

And has anyone read The Dark Tower yet?

It's not cancelled per se. DC dropped it because they had issues with the content (that's what I read anyway) but Dynamite have picked it up and will be publishing it from issue 7.

Read the first issue of The Dark Tower. I'm obviously missing something because I didn't think it was any good... Is it only for people familiar with the books?

I picked up a load of comics yesterday, including the new issue of Batman by Grant Morrison. The Joker's back! And he's completely fucking insane! *shivers*

What did you think of it ? Can't say I'm a fan of the art and two pages in (the clowns funeral) and I was struggling with the overly descriptive writing style but it kept on getting better and portrayed a completely insane and evil Joker far better than a normal comic format could have achieved .

I don't think I've read a better portrayal of the Batman and Jokers relationship .

What did you think of it ? Can't say I'm a fan of the art and two pages in (the clowns funeral) and I was struggling with the overly descriptive writing style but it kept on getting better and portrayed a completely insane and evil Joker far better than a normal comic format could have achieved .

I don't think I've read a better portrayal of the Batman and Jokers relationship .

I think the Alan Moore 'Killing Joke' was a better portrayal of their relationship, but nothing has ever come close to making the Joker's psyche as fucked up as this issue, even Arkham Asylum.

I agree though, the art was highly disappointing.

Sometimes even the war poetry, yeah.

Meh. I honestly thought they were so beyond crass no one could. Especially the ones that used Wilfred Owen's 'Futility' to give faux-gravitas to the accidental death of a d-list superhero who hadn't been seen since 1993 and comparing superhero registration to the internment of Japanese-Americans during WW2.

Right now I'd say the best titles from Marvel are good in spite of Civil War rather than because of it. Maybe I'm bitter because NextWave just finished owing to sales pressure while hack jobs like Civil War: The Return are viable at retail but still... Each to their own I guess. You are at least reading Brubaker's Captain America, right?

Grant Morrison on Batman is good. Paul Dini on Detective Comics is better. Edward Nygma, PI for the win.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I still think it's quite brave of them to do this kind of story in the current political climate. It is quite crass sometimes, but I don't think a large proportion of the readers would necessarily have very . . . nuanced political views, so sometimes you have to ram things home.

I'm not reading the Captain America, but i'll give it a whirl. I think my local still has most of the CW issues.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I still think it's quite brave of them to do this kind of story in the current political climate. It is quite crass sometimes, but I don't think a large proportion of the readers would necessarily have very . . . nuanced political views, so sometimes you have to ram things home.

I guess I just dislike being smacked in the face with an analogy spade. Especially a blunt one.

You should maybe check out the first couple of Trades though; The Winter Soldier or Red Menace arcs were top notch...

I re-read Batman: The Cult last night. I remember there being a lot of hype about it when it was first released, which it may or may not have warranted. The preface in the collected edition that I have, has the author Jim Starlin writing about censorship and First Amendment rights. At the time I didnt think too much of it, but reading The Cult now, I guess it is pretty brutal for a Batman story.

Story wise I think its pretty good, not amazing. There are some really good bits though (eg the scene where Bats and Robin are practising shooting at the mansion), and some pretty good lines. I think DC removed it from the continuity (HORROR CANON FANS!!!) which is kind of funny, as A Death in the Family specifically mentions the story (but then it was also written by Stalin). Its infinitely superior to the utter, utter, utter SHIT ON PAPER that was Knightfall, KnightQuest, KnightCashIn et al.

I'll have to pick up the Morrison Batman issue this week.

I guess I just dislike being smacked in the face with an analogy spade. Especially a blunt one.

You should maybe check out the first couple of Trades though; The Winter Soldier or Red Menace arcs were top notch...

Yeah, I'll second this one. Brubaker's work on Captain America has been fantastic so far. It's the first time I'd even considered picking up the Captain America title, but it's now become one of my favourites.

And talking of Brubaker, have you all been reading Criminal? It's excellent so far, and highly recommended.

I picked up a few GNs at the weekend.

Batman Year 100 looks very very weird. Anyone read it?

The Exterminators - seems very good so far

Exiles Book 1 - not too sure about this. Seems fun, but is it really going anywhere?

Powers Book 1 - loved this. very well written, the best thing I've read by Bendis so far.

The Losers - average spy stuff.

I picked up a few GNs at the weekend.

Batman Year 100 looks very very weird. Anyone read it?

Paul Pope is doing his own interpretation of Batman by sticking him in the future where the state is the enemy. I've read 100% and I liked it a lot. It had SF-elements but was basically a story about relationships and love, featuring 6 loosely connected people. He has a distinctive art style and he's the only non-Japanese artist to work for Kodansha (if that means anything to you), and I've been meaning to pick up Batman 100 for a while.

What did you think about it?

• 3 weeks later...

Picked u Squee! yesterday by Jhonen Vasquez. Really bizarre and you can see the obvious influences it had on Invader Zim. Lots of funny little stories, especially the one where the man shits his pants during the perfect date then shouts "SOMEONE PUT SHIT IN MY PANTS!" and runs off.

I've also become obsessed with Tsutomu Nihei's work. Blame! is utterly sublime and I've been devoting the past week trying to track down anything that he's done.

Paul Pope is doing his own interpretation of Batman by sticking him in the future where the state is the enemy. I've read 100% and I liked it a lot. It had SF-elements but was basically a story about relationships and love, featuring 6 loosely connected people. He has a distinctive art style and he's the only non-Japanese artist to work for Kodansha (if that means anything to you), and I've been meaning to pick up Batman 100 for a while.

What did you think about it?

I don't like the art, but the script is excellent. It doesn't need Jim Gordons' grandson though.

Silly prices going for Captain America #25 already on ebay with all my usual online stores out of stock and it only came out today...!!!

Won't say why for spoilers sake but it's not the most original plot for a 'shocking' issue of a superhero comic

As Dr M said Brubaker's take on the Cap is awesome and I've been picking it up in trade paperback but I've been reading Civil War as it happens and actually quite enjoying it. I'm a gonna have to go searching high and low for this now

Anybody pick it up today?

it certainly shits in DC's cereal quite nicely, they've only just started pimping the forthcoming 'death' of Jimmy Olson

:ph34r:

picked up Batman & The Spirit, the first 3 issues of the new Spirit series and the first 2 Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil, feeling in the mood for some fairly innocent superheroics after all the gloom of Civil War and 52 (Animal Man getting Sun-eater powers aside :wub:)

picked up Batman & The Spirit, the first 3 issues of the new Spirit series and the first 2 Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil

Both of those look aces, especially Shazam, Jeff Smith does beautiful work and there is something about Captain Marvel that always feel gloriously retro and wholesome.

Silly prices going for Captain America #25 already on ebay with all my usual online stores out of stock and it only came out today...!!!

I'm a gonna have to go searching high and low for this now

I wouldn't pay any silly prices if I were you - Diamonds (comic distributors for both Marvel & DC) website shows #25 being in stock again for Thursday 22nd March and I don't thinks it's a 2nd printing but just unordered stock because the comic shops didn't realise the demand would be so high

http://www.diamondcomics.com/public/defaul...amp;c=3&s=7

Just read Batman Year 100. Lovely art from Paul Pope, but he doesn't do very much with the premise of Batman versus a totalitarian, panopticon US state. Miller's take on a future where superheroes are proscribed and the Boy Scout serves US interests only was a far more detailed imagining that makes Pope's own take on Batman in the future look shallow indeed.

It was mildly stupid to have Gordon as a descendant of the Old Man (Commissioner Gordon) but whilst leaving Batman as Bruce Wayne. There's no explanation for this at all. Is he a descendant of the original Batman, a clone or the original? It's doubtful that he is the original since there is no hint of life-extending medical treatments elsewhere in the story, but I guess this ambiguity was deliberate.

I wouldn't pay any silly prices if I were you - Diamonds (comic distributors for both Marvel & DC) website shows #25 being in stock again for Thursday 22nd March and I don't thinks it's a 2nd printing but just unordered stock because the comic shops didn't realise the demand would be so high

http://www.diamondcomics.com/public/defaul...amp;c=3&s=7

A little more on this in this week's Lying in the Gutters. I haven't been to my comic shop in aaaaages. I think I've got about seven weeks worth coming this Saturday. Completely avoided Civil War except in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man which according to all of the reviews seemed to have more depth to it than the mini-series.