IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

41 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Just saw a preview of Giant Size X-men, the new Thunderbird costume is crap.

Is this the new Gala thing? Seems it took them ages to bring certain Mutants back.

15 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Is this the new Gala thing? Seems it took them ages to bring certain Mutants back.

Don't think it is. Here's a pic of it.

gsxmentbird2022001_design_var.jpg

It’s so bad, I still haven’t come up the right adjective for it, nearly a day and a half later. 

Anyway just been reading Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen by Fraction and Lieber.

Probably one of the funniest and wittiest comics I’ve read since his Hawkeye run. 

16 minutes ago, cassidy said:

It’s so bad, I still haven’t come up the right adjective for it, nearly a day and a half later. 

Anyway just been reading Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen by Fraction and Lieber.

Probably one of the funniest and wittiest comics I’ve read since his Hawkeye run. 

Jimmy Olsen is awesome, Fraction never seems to write anything average, it’s either amazing like Sex Criminals or Hawkeye or it’s utter shite like his X-Men or Fantastic Four.

10 hours ago, bear said:

Have you read Gail Simones Secret Six stuff? 

I think it starts with Villains United. 

Oh, man, I'd forgotten about those, some stellar stuff there.

She writes Bane especially well.

I second this recommendation.

10 hours ago, bear said:

Have you read Gail Simones Secret Six stuff? 

I think it starts with Villains United. 

Read the stuff that is collected in Infinite Crisis but I have already added that to my DC reading list and all her birds of prey as well. 

I'm gonna get some good reading done due to this app. I'm a very happy comic book fan at the moment. 

Now the home page is working again the DC app is really good now and with a lot of the Vertigo titles on here as well, I have to say DC have published far more comics I love than Marvel ever have.

6 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

Now the home page is working again the DC app is really good now and with a lot of the Vertigo titles on here as well, I have to say DC have published far more comics I love than Marvel ever have.

I can't disagree with that statement at all. 

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

Oh for fuck sake George Pérez has passed away🙁

fuck.

I’ve got the George Perez Batman portfolio somewhere. Massive prints of b/w Batman images like this

image.thumb.jpeg.55bb8e2b161cd38148096f828500dd7b.jpeg

Any youmustfuckingreadthis recommendations for somebody fairly new to DC comics? I’ve read Watchmen, Preacher, Batman Year One and a fair bit of Sandman (planning on finishing it very soon!) 

4 minutes ago, sammy said:

Any youmustfuckingreadthis recommendations for somebody fairly new to DC comics? I’ve read Watchmen, Preacher, Batman Year One and a fair bit of Sandman (planning on finishing it very soon!) 

outliers and cross-overs:

Kingdom Come

(and The Kingdom, I guess)

Green Lantern: Mosiac

JL: Breakdowns

Bloodlines

zero hour

Superman: Our worlds at war

avoid anything with crisis in the name except … on infinite earths. 

otherwise it’s the classic big stories:

batman:

death in the family / lonely place of dying 

superman: 

death/reign/return of superman/men

GL:

Emerald Dawn/twilight

Hitman:

all of it

ooh ooh! Wonder Woman: War of the Gods, the artist is one George Perez…

1 hour ago, sammy said:

Gotham Central

The Flash by both Mark Waid and Geoff Johns 

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns

JSA by Geoff Johns 

Aquaman by Geoff Johns

New Teen Titans by Wolfman and Perez

Teen Titans by Geoff Johns

Supergirl by Peter David

Young Justice by Peter David

Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka

Batman by Grant Morrison - but maybe read this after you have read more Bat books to really appreciate the greatest Batman run ever.

Green Arrow by Mike Greel 

Secret Six by Gail Simone

Birds of Prey by Chuck Dixon and Gail Simone

Supersons

Superman by Tomasi and Gleeson

Batman & Robin by Tomasi and Gleeson 

Sweetooth by Jeff Lemire

52 - the weekly series

Animal Man by Grant Morrison 

Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison 

And of course All-Star Superman - which is possibly the greatest superhero comic of all-time.

I can’t believe I forgot to mention Planetary, which is probably my second favourite comic of all-time.

Also New Frontier which is up there with being the most beautiful comic of all-time.

Not quite comics related, but kind of, the Batman Unburied audio drama on Spotify is worth a listen - first two episodes are up now

At first I was a bit sceptical from the write up / trailer, as Multiverse takes on Batman for this sort of thing don't gel with me. However first episode in and there might be more going on with the

Spoiler

bat sounds and necklace scene

Either way the Foley work on it is really, really good and there's a pretty stellar cast attached with Winston Duke, Jason Issacs, John Rhys Davis and Lance Reddick (to name a few).  No more Batman: Knighfall audio drama levels of grunting and hurumphing through the plot as the repeatedly used sound of a table breaking gets used for fighting scenes! :lol:

2 hours ago, Spatial said:

Not quite comics related, but kind of, the Batman Unburied audio drama on Spotify is worth a listen - first two episodes are up now

At first I was a bit sceptical from the write up / trailer, as Multiverse takes on Batman for this sort of thing don't gel with me. However first episode in and there might be more going on with the

Hide contents

bat sounds and necklace scene

Either way the Foley work on it is really, really good and there's a pretty stellar cast attached with Winston Duke, Jason Issacs, John Rhys Davis and Lance Reddick (to name a few).  No more Batman: Knighfall audio drama levels of grunting and hurumphing through the plot as the repeatedly used sound of a table breaking gets used for fighting scenes! :lol:

I saw on the news that it had knocked Rogan off the top spot.

Is it Elseworlds or is it 

Spoiler

Jace or Luke whichever took over from Bruce with the fully covered cowl?

Spoiler for those going through the DC Universe app reading Batfamily books.

I didn't get the feeling it was.  I'm being over cautious with the spoiler tags here as the episode descriptions give most of this away but;

The character certainly seems to be 

Spoiler

Bruce Wayne

well...of a sorts. There's references to

Spoiler

his mother and father as Thomas and Martha

and there's a sense this fits as it being Earth-0. Albeit something is definitely off because of

Spoiler

Bruce's job and his parents still being alive. Even Barbara Gordon's got a different role.

It's been enough to get its hooks in to me to see where its going.

On 07/05/2022 at 22:32, SeanR said:

batman:

death in the family / lonely place of dying

Randomly read this last night - I had no idea Tim Drake has been around so long. Good story though. Is it worth just reading the issues that follow (not that the app makes this as easy as it should be) or should I jump to another arc?

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

There's a fantastic bundle with all the Valerian and Laureline comics on Humble too.  That's the good stuff.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/european-sci-fi-and-fantasy-comics-from-cinebook-books

You appear to have to read them in a specific app. I didn't look very hard but after I bought it I didn't see a way to get the content onto my PC

8 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Randomly read this last night - I had no idea Tim Drake has been around so long. Good story though. Is it worth just reading the issues that follow (not that the app makes this as easy as it should be) or should I jump to another arc?

Yes. But I am the biased.

That’s pretty much where I started buying Batman floppies, rather than the fleetway/titan uk reprints.

he has a dalliance with Peter Parker-style Robin/School/Life balance issues, then it all kicks off

but… if you like Tim/Robin 

then you should Robin I, II, and III

Also Robin 3000, which is good* Different. Almost GotG esque. It’s got that fresh Robin feel. Rather than the Jason is just Dick again vibe.

but also read Batman #424 :eyebrows:

* better than Digital Justice anyway.