IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

1 hour ago, bear said:

Does anyone have a good guide about to go about selling comics? At the very least I know they'll need to be bagged and boarded but I'd like to know what sort of envelopes and such I should be using. 

Whatever you do, don't just use some cut up cereal boxes as packaging, as lots of these "professional" sellers do.

You can get the same mailers forbidden planet use. 

They are similar to these:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comic-Flash-Mailers-Sizes-Digests/dp/B007JAV8YQ

Depends on what you are sending and how far it's going, really.

I sent off some of my MN Miracle Man comics mid last year bagged and double boarded in a mailer inside an envelope, and they made it to the other side of the world in the same condition it left me. 

Not read any of his later US work, but the humour stuff he did in the early days of 2000ad with John Wagner are some of my favourite comics ever.  The most satirical and biting Dredds were always Grant and Wagner, and Ace Garp and Robo Hunter were superb and under-rated.  Seems like everyone in UK comics has a nice word to say about him.

Sad loss indeed. My first exposure to him was Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham with Bisley. Then later more Batman stuff like Shadow of the Bat and his Lobo. I knew he wrote for 2000AD but at the time wasn't my cup of tea.

I mean… Grant, Wagner,and Breyfogle is where I started reading Batman/Detective comics

The Bogie Man, specifically The Manhattan Project, was great too

damn, he wrote loads… indirectly responsible for the Batman:Arkham games too.

3 hours ago, SeanR said:

I mean… Grant, Wagner,and Breyfogle is where I started reading Batman/Detective comics

The Bogie Man, specifically The Manhattan Project, was great too

damn, he wrote loads… indirectly responsible for the Batman:Arkham games too.

Yup same here, great creative team. Didn't know it inspired the Arkham games but makes sense.

Alan Grant wrote The Destroyer which wiped out the old Gotham in the comics, and replaced it with Anton Furst’s vision of Gotham, and introduced a bunch of stuff, history and characters, later used in the games.

there’s no nu-52 in the games.

After reading an awful lot of old Marvel and DC comics lately, I have to say the British Invasion of writers in the early to mid 80s is probably the best thing to ever happen to American comics and Alan Grant was a big part of that movement.

20 hours ago, SeanR said:

Same here. I also liked the fact that Grant introduced a fair number of new characters like Anarky, Scarface and Zsasz during his run on Detective, quite of a few of whom had legs and were used by other writers (I think Scarface showed up in BTAS possibly, but Zsasz was definitely in Arkham City). Gutted to hear this.

Yeah, those late 80s Batman and Detective runs were the fuel of my Batman obsession at that time. Very fond memories of Shadow of the Bat too, first appearances of Zsasz and Jeremiah Arkham etc and the Lobo run, daft as fuck but I loved it.

RIP :(

6 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Yeah, those late 80s Batman and Detective runs were the fuel of my Batman obsession at that time. Very fond memories of Shadow of the Bat too, first appearances of Zsasz and Jeremiah Arkham etc and the Lobo run, daft as fuck but I loved it.

RIP :(

Zsasz and Ventriloquist too, two of my favourite Batman rogues.

What I like about Ventriloquist is that he is just a human like all of us. He looks innocent and average, but with his puppet in his hands, he becomes the most scariest villain. You may not understand him at first and you would think that the puppet is the boss and he is it's servant, but then you realise that he is a psycho with a mental illness, who kills people pretending that it's the puppet who is doing the dirty work, not him. Ventriloquist has a split personality, and two of his personalities can be seen in his design. A middle aged, polite, nervous man is holding the puppet of a violent mafia boss with a tommy gun. Scarface is his split personality, a more aggressive one that can represent what he truly feels inside and what he wants, and his real self, has doubts and but it does what the puppet says. We don't know entirely if Ventriloquist is actually a psychopath with a split personality or the puppet is supernatural, but both versions are equally scary to think about.

So judgment day speculation

Spoiler

They build a celestial, who judges, leading to a mutant and eternal reset? Not clear where the avengers fit in…

16 hours ago, footle said:

So judgment day speculation

Hide contents

They build a celestial, who judges, leading to a mutant and eternal reset? Not clear where the avengers fit in…

Spoiler

They are currently living in one as a HQ

Spoiler

Well, you've got the Avengers titles summarized right there :P

Since it's coming to judge everyone from hero to villain, from mutant to eternal, I suppose the avengers will be representing the whole one of everything bracket as usual. 

They've had both mutant and eternal on multiple line-ups, so one of the Captain Americas will do his "vouch" for them both speech.

Or Marvel could surprise us and pull something out of the bag, since we know Tony Stark is trying to solve the Mutant Resurrection problem himself and wants Firestar to spy on the X-Men for him. 

Started my Legion of Superheroes. Skipped the silver age stuff cos it's not my thing.  

Started on the Paul levitz run and plan on reading everything upto now. 

Enjoying it so far. Really like Giffens art.