IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

i am a Marvel fan, recently restarted collecting again after many many years away.

Origin (Wolverine)

I have repurchased (at some expense i might add) Giant Size X-men 1, then issues 94-150 !!

Amazing Spider-man certain eras 100-107; 121-131; 298-328 (todd mcfarlane artist, introduction of Venom) My oldest Amazing Spider-man is issue 15.

All the current Marvel Ultimate ie Spider-man 1-66 (i also have White Variant issue#1), Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-men 1-52 and the Ultimates (which is awesome!)

I also like have the TPB's of Batman Murderer, Dark Knight Returns 1 &DKR2 (which was a bit disappointing, DKR2 that is) Killing Joke

i have started reading Batman/Superman and Identity Crisis though

right i have decided to abuse my local library's ordering facility hard, and get a load of graphic novels in i haven't read yet or for a while.

i looked for that green lantern emerald dawn that biglime recommended a page ago, but the only green lantern they seem to have is Green Lantern: A New Dawn. is this anythiing?

also i want to read the crisis on infinite earths storyline. they have one tpb called "crisis on infinite earths" and quite a few called "crisis on multiple earths". they sound very similar. someone explain please.

Multiple earths is a compilation of pre-crisis stories that will tell you some stuff about the alternate earths that used to exist in the DC Universe.

It's not REALLY essential reading.

Crisis on Infinite Earths is the daddy. No matter what anyone might say, it's the single most industry-shattering story in comics history.

Multiple earths is a compilation of pre-crisis stories that will tell you some stuff about the alternate earths that used to exist in the DC Universe.

Crisis on Infinite Earths is the daddy. No matter what anyone might say, it's the single most industry-shattering story in comics history.

Better than millenium? :angry:

Click For Spoiler
Lana Lang!

see because i read a lot of superman when i was younger, but not when it was new, and all in random TPBs i dont really remember what is pre- or post- crisis.

i remember loving all the doomsday stuff - thats all post-crisis right?and the Death of Superman stuff? those are some of the stories i remember.

That's all post-crisis.

Pre-crisis is when Superman jumped about with super-dogs and super-turtles.

Dont forget, being able to fly through the sun, and not have to breath in space. Oh and being able to juggle planets, must'nt forget that ;)

Make mine marvel.

But i'm always loved bats (well the last 8 years).

Big question I know. But, what was the crisis. It sounds from MR BEN's post that things (powers, stories, super dogs) calmed down after the crisis. Was it a new move for DC, a break from older styles with a bunch of new talent? What was the story lin? Earth destroyed? Realities crumble?

I'm looking at Biglime at SeanR here.

I'm not wanting to do any spoilers, because it's THE comic book epic.

But it was DC Comics' method of dealing with the continuity problems within their universe. It erased a lot of wacky shit that you wouldn't believe (Batman being a father, a fucking superpowered turtle) It also helped 'de-power' a lot of characters in the DC Universe, moving towards a more realistic feel that was soon to influence Marvel.

In story terms, it's all about the Anti-Monitor, a being who intended to destroy ALL universes, and reality on all its planes. The heroes of multiple universes have to unite to stop him.

It's amazing stuff, and was such a success that it rejuvenated many DC characters and made DC a major player in the industry once more.

It also is the first real 'event series' within comics.

I don't want to appear confrontational but I really didn't think much of crisis. The idea was certainly cool but the qulaity of the issues were pretty poor after issue one. And taking responsibility for the whole "multi-title event" thing must be one of the most shameful things in all of comics, they truly are a blight on the comics world

-Jools

I'm not wanting to do any spoilers, because it's THE comic book epic.

But it was DC Comics' method of dealing with the continuity problems within their universe. It erased a lot of wacky shit that you wouldn't believe (Batman being a father, a fucking superpowered turtle) It also helped 'de-power' a lot of characters in the DC Universe, moving towards a more realistic feel that was soon to influence Marvel.

In story terms, it's all about the Anti-Monitor, a being who intended to destroy ALL universes, and reality on all its planes. The heroes of multiple universes have to unite to stop him.

It's amazing stuff, and was such a success that it rejuvenated many DC characters and made DC a major player in the industry once more.

It also is the first real 'event series' within comics.

Is it available in a compilation form, or was it HUGE? I quite liked Marvel's Age of Apocalypse and Onslaught series, so I wouldn't mind taking a gander at this.

Is it available in a compilation form, or was it HUGE? I quite liked Marvel's Age of Apocalypse and Onslaught series, so I wouldn't mind taking a gander at this.

It was a 12-parter, if I remember rightly. I picked it up a few years back with a really nice painted cover. (I’m still looking for a poster)

I wouldn’t be as big a fan as Biglime, I thought it required too much knowledge of the DC universe to get the most out of it. But the artwork is beautiful, some of the big battle scenes are awesome.

It’s a must-read for any comic fan, though.

Well its thursday true believers, that means new comics in the UK.... havnt read any of mine yet, but when i do, ill post my thoughts... this weeks pickings are...

Stokers Dracula #1

Megacity 909 #2

Secret Skull #2

Madrox #2

Uncanny Xmen #451

New Xmen Academy #6

The Nail (R.Zombie0 #4

Identity Crisis #5

Vicrtory Series 2 #2

thats all i could afford this week, ive stuff being kept in my box which im picking up on payday (wednesday) which is as follows..

Defex #1

Fantastic Four #519

Horrorcide

Invaders #3

Spectacular Spider-Man #20

Gambit #3

Rogue #4

Sabretooth #2